Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9712 Posts: 5,302Member
    I was refering to the color in of itself being an issue for making it look fake. The original ENT model had a similar feel as well as most of all the teal green range ships. Plan is to add other shades all over on various panels or in patterns like on the ENT model.

http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/images/romulan/cruiser_v1_ent.jpg

I think gunging it up might help more and working in a better color choice for the AO shader. Plan is to texture in the grime. Though plan is one day to go back to the daedalus and texture her up as well, well properly uvwed.

Some small updates

raptor-119.jpg

raptor-123.jpg

raptor-124.jpg

raptor-125.jpg

Likely not to see anything for a few days as parts should arrive for the replacement HTPC and I will be goofing with that even though I do not have a proper cooler or case yet. (using a old i7 strock cooler as the 6600 i5 one was just a bent up bit of aluminum with a really bad fan. Least the older 4770k had a copper core and silicon wores on the fan and it used frp of some sort. ANYHOO off topic. heh. Planning to try win8.1 as the new CPU makes getting win7 on the ssd a nightmare. So I might be messing with that vs modeling. I might ragequit install win7 via another pc and then let it self heal on the new hdw and then install all the proper drivers. (no I do not really own a known working sata optical drive. Just USB externals)
    JES
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Lovely as always. Atolm has a one wing version very like this.
  • Hilk_v001Hilk_v00187 Posts: 37Member
    all i can say is Wow, really nice original design.
    this is the kind of detailed work id like to make some day ( soon :) )
    i think ... i just set myself a goal to work towards, thx MadKoiFish !!
    Thanks. hopefully the wip threads help in some small way. >_>

Between replacing failing pcs, building new ones undorking win8.1 and dealing with failing hdds and what do with a pile of old ones I have not gotten much done. Just some panels and vents and things.

raptor-128.jpg

raptor-129.jpg

raptor-131.jpg
    JES
    Decided I should put some time in on this. Mostly just the B deck panels. Though nothing really externally could be called a particular deck as it is all split levels inside.

raptor-132.jpg?w=600

raptor-133.jpg?w=600

gotta change out those vent glows. Likely I will dump glows period in there.

raptor-134.jpg?w=600

I think it is mostly sub panels on this upper area and it is gonna be called done so I either move to the belly the fin or work out to the struts.
    JES
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    This certainly looks impressive.
  • Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    I always love the shapes and detailing on your models!
    Thanks guys.

Started to work on the strut replacements. I have moved the nacelles upward and forward to create a slightly more aggressive stance and to de-flatten the overall geometry.

raptor-135.jpg?w=600

raptor-136.jpg?w=600

raptor-137.jpg?w=600

Plan is to draw back the "feathers" more than they are now and to come up with something better than those rectangular boxes I had earlier.
    JES
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Wow... this Romulan ship is really awesome! Love the design and the color! Also digging the period-accurate TOS-era Romulan emblem!
    Messing with struts and strut feathers. I also enlarged parts of the nacelles to give them more girth. Also note the change in the central fin. I am thinking this is much more aggressive and eliminates the surface area of the original. I will be returning the decal to the fin.

raptor-142.jpg?w=600

raptor-143.jpg?w=600

raptor-144.jpg?w=600
    JES
    Remaining winglet bits. There is more to do to them but this is the rough pattern. Ignore the nasty uvw, heh. Time to work in the mechanical elements of these such as fast maneuvering drives and whatnots.

raptor-145.jpg?w=600

raptor-147.jpg?w=600

raptor-148.jpg?w=600
    JES
    Not to happy about the lower view of things. Thinking I should have arched the lower wing some but getting those curves on a up-swept part is a PAIN. I have considered leveling the object to ease build but working in the details on the adjoining surfaces to the existing ones would prove a PITA. Then again, I do like the wing surface aligning to the hull edge like it does. So a no win I guess hah.

raptor-154.jpg?w=600

raptor-155.jpg?w=600

Anyhow considering removing a set of those highspeed maneuvering engines for a single pair but larger, well wider as I cant get much taller. Then figuring out what to do for those lower sections to blend them in better.

OOps I really did not render any upper views for the work done there, heh. Mostly vents and extruding upwards of the inset panels and messing with the profiles of the larger "feathers"
    JES
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice, liking the new attachment between the wing and the nacelle, looks a bit different and unique. Also kinda like what you have going on underneath, interesting cut-outs and shapes a lot more interesting than the more traditional plain flat belly these ships usually have.

:thumb:
    Slow going as I have been busy and lazy!!!! Hah mostly screaming at software as so much has been acting up or getting updated for the worse like that lame html5 fullscreen nag. UGH. add in hdds taking ****s left and right and looking at the mess of some of them I have been moving tbs worth of data about to kinda sort it all. I hope hahahaha. It also doe snot help I keep modeling and deleting the work.

Changed out the inner strut details. I dunno what I will stick into there though. Thinking maybe heat sinks as thrust surfaces here are a bit moot given the central impulse/whatever it already has vs what we saw in ENT. I also unified the outer maneuvering thrusters into a single unit vs 4 smaller housings at various angles.

raptor-159.jpg?w=600

raptor-160.jpg?w=600

raptor-161.jpg?w=600

Ignore the material in the lower panels as those will be made base body color.
    JES
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    Nice, liking the new attachment between the wing and the nacelle, looks a bit different and unique. Also kinda like what you have going on underneath, interesting cut-outs and shapes a lot more interesting than the more traditional plain flat belly these ships usually have.

The underbelly forms are based lightly on what we saw in ENT. I think eaves made those forms with the intent of them being a surface for the BIRD decal but that was nixed along the way. So I cannot really take any credit for that.
    Small small updates. heh. Junk in the wings and messing with brackets.

raptor-164.jpg?w=600

raptor-167.jpg?w=600

raptor-168.jpg?w=600

Moved over my wip dirs and max system files (autobak etc) to a ssd so it has really streamlined things as there is no spin up and slow saving to a hdd slowing workflow. hell at this time I do not even notice the autobak saves. Only issue is I should have sprung fro the 480gig drive as my wip dir is 350gigs heh so I have only moved current projects to the ssd. Considering moving my system page file to this drive as well. Yeah a ssd isnt best to r/w over and over but with the costs of the things, the performance pays if it only lasts 2 yrs.
    JES
    Oh for anyone worried when this part vanished it is back. I also finally got around to taking off some of those crappy too small feathering off the upper vent housing.

raptor-170.jpg?w=600

raptor-171.jpg?w=600

I also have been messing with sampling rates on the gloss of surfaces. As somewhere it seems I need these set to ridiculous levels to get a decent reflection off lum lit objects. 250+ or so. I could not find any other setting to allow me to smooth it out. Joke is I could swear I did not have to resort to that high of a sampling number in the past. TOO bad there is no supersampling or interpolation ramp I could use to help yet keep it a cheap hit in render. BAH. Likely one of those 2013 from 2010 things that took this long to annoy me! >_<
    JES
  • BarricadeBarricade198 Posts: 180Member
    I'm not exactly fond of the huge fan-tail, although I am well aware of why its there, as a reference to the canon TOS Romulan warbird. Any way you could add some more detail to it, because as it stands its just 'there', and looks far too plain compared to the rest of the design. Nothing major, just a hint of greebling in places to give it some added texture. The greeble equivalent of pin-stripes/speed lines. Anything more would be too much.

-=-

Love the engine cowling around the exhaust areas and how you've used those small indentations to give it added detail.
    No where did I say I was done. I just added the emblem back in. There is a ****tonne of stuff left to do on it. Some clues could be gleamed from that BOT I did for the post balance of terror stuff.

err, I was going to point to the blog, but the images there are crap for that area of the ship. The plan is to do some plating on it to match with the hull around it and to add in some sensor details along the spine and a mess of crudies in the trailing edge. There might be some art deco like feathers going on it too. (depending how that looks.) Also I have been considering altering the area where the fin drops below the hull line as that looks a bit crap. (first image of the last post)

Think this thing is maybe about 75% done? Loads of plating and details to go. Only thing that really is near to having a done stamp are those upper 2 decks. It depends how much of the fine detail will be textured or done in mesh.

Dunno when I will get to this though as ST stuff has started to sour like 3mo old milk for me lately.
  • SAMSABER_2012SAMSABER_201267 Posts: 107Member
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Oh for anyone worried when this part vanished it is back. I also finally got around to taking off some of those crappy too small feathering off the upper vent housing.

raptor-170.jpg?w=600

raptor-171.jpg?w=600

I also have been messing with sampling rates on the gloss of surfaces. As somewhere it seems I need these set to ridiculous levels to get a decent reflection off lum lit objects. 250+ or so. I could not find any other setting to allow me to smooth it out. Joke is I could swear I did not have to resort to that high of a sampling number in the past. TOO bad there is no supersampling or interpolation ramp I could use to help yet keep it a cheap hit in render. BAH. Likely one of those 2013 from 2010 things that took this long to annoy me! >_<

I like the film quality of this made from scratch design here. Looks very realistic. Color scheme based on the history of this ship here goes by it's true historic look.
    Really loose stenciling on the fin. The darker wing thing might be altered to be a bit thicker. The green bits would be openings for sensor gubbins. I dunno how I will approach this be it detaily bits in or translucent panels with bits o' light inside. The cutout which is a bit hard to see will have all sorts of to scale lumpy bits in so off sorms etc that would represent specific sensor arrays and bits they want extended out away from the ship. It is a bit iffy as some of it is in the wash of the impulse drives but well eh. Argument I guess could be the wing does dip below the flow of the drives. . . . . There will probably be smaller sub plates across the rest of the fin. I am not sure if the plating will pass through the logo or go around it. Likely it will pass through as to appear like a painted on emblem. I still have not decided wtfh to do with that undercut object that is between the impulse drives. If I will drop the physical wing over this area or leave that block in place.

raptor-174.jpg?w=600

Sorry only one render as this took forever. . . . gotta drop those surfacing samples back down to fuqgrain again. And yeah couple of major turned edges going on but not gonna re render PFFFFf
    JES
    Another small update with basic extrusions made. I do need to clean up that main hull the fin interacts with as there are too many grid lines there for my liking.
    raptor-175.jpg?w=600
    JES
    Decided to just color some panels to see if that hides the mushed up detail as I forgot they were part of a pattern on the backside of the ship. Added the lumpy bits off the back of the fin and started with some ideas for the spine sensor appearance. I might push away from the glows to some sort of emitter shape inside the holes.

raptor-176.jpg?w=650

raptor-177.jpg?w=650

raptor-178.jpg?w=650

raptor-179.jpg?w=650
    JES
    Started for some reason to mess with the impulse assembly.

raptor-180.jpg?w=650

raptor-181.jpg?w=650
    Not sure I am sold on the housings themselves and all the tarting up just makes it stand out more. So I might redo these things or rethink how they will be assembled. IE no more big rectangular nozzle thing. MM dunno I might cop out and leave it as well! The added gubbins within the cutout though might be retained.
    JES
  • JohnnyMuffintopJohnnyMuffintop173 Posts: 0Member
    Been loving your bird of prey so much, I just had to make a teeny one of my own.
    13495143_10153717135960509_2817652164881592500_n.jpg
    110754.jpg
    JES
    Heh, that's cool, I like it.

• Ze AratlossZe Aratloss171 Posts: 0Member
    it has been too long since I've been on this forum and you still amaze me with your work MKF
    lol what a little booger it is. hah. would work for that old board game I remember as a kid.

For the rest of the post I dunno where to stick this as the doodle thread is sort of ignored, or trek stuff is rare there so Ill stick this here

Decided to mess about with this design after finding auction images of the, what I think was the nicer study model. Figure I would give it the Daedalus treatment and making it more of a space frame than a boxed up shape. Dunno how I picture the thing will translate to 3d though. Something about that trailer model is scale, all those damned windows.

stdiscovery-01.jpg

I may or may not build a model of this, it would be a good distraction from all the busy work on the Balmung.
    JES
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    If you look close at McQuarries painting of the Ken Adam model here:
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/cf/ed/45/cfed454b47f5a850f0ddd882ab21de16.jpg

I think an intake or flush vent runs along the outside of the nacelle.

I love the bridge area here:
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-VBMpBrgranw/TvynCGxK1ZI/AAAAAAAAMoM/cyl4PdVn99g/s1600/0010-Enterprise+saucer+2+by+Ralph+McQuarrie.jpg

To me, the ultimate version would be to have the saucer wide and flat, as per here:
    http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/9793024_orig.jpg

With the curves saucer rim from other paintings--but with that super detail of the bridge antenna farm rising.

Fractalsponge loves to do big scale SW ships--but I'd like to see you make a titanic version of this ship--with the wide triangle hull. The one you did above looks like the smaller study model

[url]http://losttrek.***********/ralph-mcquarries-concept-art.html[/url]
    Loving this thing, nice bit of design.