Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DLuke's Lightsaber, TESB variation

stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
edited May 2016 in Work in Progress #1
Another one of my pet projects, Luke's lightsaber, The Empire Strikes Back variation:

saber1.jpg
saber2.jpg
saber3.jpg
saber5.jpg
saber6.jpg

I slapped a metallic shader onto the whole thing for the time being so that I could see all of the bevels etc. Still a couple of geo tweaks to finish (the clamp at the back, etc.) and then it's off to uvs and texture. Again one of those "That looks easy, I'll do that!" that, well, wasn't so easy afterall. :)

Thanks for looking!
110462.jpg
110463.jpg
110464.jpg
110466.jpg
110467.jpg
Post edited by stonky on
Tagged:

• ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    great start! looks really good!
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    since it's still a WIP, i"ll reserve my 'it looks fake comment' for the finished product :D
    Great start, it looks fantastic! i built myself one of these using tin foil, cardboard tubes and size d batteries when i was in middle school. Needless to say it wasn't particularly good or accurate :lol:
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    stonky wrote: »
    The Empire Strikes Back variation
    Ah, but which variant of the ESB variants? Looks like the ANH button/lens arrangement. As far as I know, the Hoth version should have a red button on top and below, and the Dagobah version should have a red button underneath and an empty socket on top. I'm can't remember what they used at the start of Cloud City, but the fight scene used ANH stunt versions (so no notches in the grips). Looks like you might have 7 grips too. That was ANH version, ESB had 6 grips. Also, the mounting band clamp on the ESB version had tape (mylar or aluminium, depending on variant) covering up the Graflex name.

I have some ye olde schematics if you want. Not sure how they still measure up these days, but they always seems pretty screen accurate in my examinations.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    It looks great so far. It's definitely not an easy design to replicate, it has far more detail than most people realize.
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    Thanks all!

@DCB: I guess that this one will be a hybrid - I want the glass eye just because I think that it looks cool, and I go back and forth on the tape - I'll probably end up adding the tape so that the word "graflex" isn't figured so prominently, and because the checkered pattern on the tape will look interesting. Nice catch on the number of grips, I totally missed that! I also like the look of the notched grips so I'll probably keep those as well. I have a set of schematics that seem to be fairly accurate as well as a decent replica, but that said if you have something better, by all means send it over. :)

Update coming soon. :)
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    Here you go, schematics for the ANH and two ESB variants attached. I can't speak to their dimensional accuracy, but they do seem screen-accurate in terms of configuration.

If you are using one of the commercial replicas, like Master Replicas, for reference I'd be careful. They have a tendency to take a few artistic liberties. There used to be some threads over on RPF where people posted pics of actual genuine Graflex parts along with measurements, although it has been a long while since I went trawling for that sort of thing.
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Solid work as ever Stonky! :)
    @DCB: thanks for that - it's the same set that I've been referring to, they seem pretty solid :) The replica isn't an MR, to be honest I can't remember where I got it, it's about 15 years old but it seems to line up with all of the graflex reference that I've seen as well as the schematics.

@Wiz: thanks mate!
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    :thumb: :thumb:
    Great stuff. I love the subtle wear and tear. :)
    Thanks!

A little more work on the clamp, etc.:

saber_color5.jpg
    saber_color6.jpg
    110491.jpg110492.jpg
    Great stuff. I was wondering when you were going to finish detailing that.
    Thank you! :)
  • madmattmadmatt0 Posts: 0Member
    I really like all the subtle details of textures, what programs did you used for texturing & modeling?

Bye
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    This looks awesome, nice attention to detail. Having an Anakin ForceFX Lightsaber it is always interesting to see the subtle differences between that and this, and even the ANH version which is also considerably different while essentially staying the same.
    Thanks all! Luke's ANH/TESB lightsaber to me is the pinnacle of the art of re-purposing found objects. :)

Texture work is photoshop, substance designer/substance painter. Modelling is maya/modo. Still some work to do but coming along. :)
    The first Star Wars was a lot about repurposed stuff used as props, set pieces, and whatever else.
  • vfxartvfxart1246 PNWPosts: 266Member
    Fantastic- just began busting out an anh version Thursday night-- any input on SP, modo and maya would be great (I mostly use modo, drop into maya for occasional rman, and have been working with substance for a short bit....) Still back on modo 601... ;-)
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Wonderful work mate, and great attention to detail! :)
  • Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    The ever so slight weathering texture is very nice on this one. A lot of models look really good until they are textured, but not this one!
    Thanks all, much appreciated! It's been a fun project. :)