Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAn elegant weapon for a new machine test

vfxartvfxart1246 PNWPosts: 267Member
edited April 2016 in Work in Progress #1
Fired up new PC Thursday night, started this a few hours later. Simple surfacing this AM, will hopefully get back to it soon... Not happy with the forms yet, will take a good bit to get down. More angles and such to follow as I can :-)

luke_ANH_TEST_07.jpg
110525.jpg
Post edited by vfxart on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    It looks great to me. It looks like the one from the first film.
  • vfxartvfxart1246 PNWPosts: 267Member
    Yeah, so far... will be easy enough to convert for esb later on, but the project I have in mind uses sw and esb gear. So for now, laying in the ground work. Gotta get through the crappy stage... Thanks!
    Also from the weekend (switching off projects over a couple of days keeps the energy up)

luke_esb_TEST_01.jpg
    110526.jpg
    Your weapons... you will not need them.

Nice work on the utility belt. I'll have to stay tuned to see what this project of yours is. It sounds like it's going to be cool. With stuff like this going on, it promises to be well modeled. :)
    Hi.

So, having been unemployed for 16 months now (some might say underemployed instead), the image is a thank you to folks who stepped up and helped me fund a new machine. part SW, part my basic attitude towards life, in other words, smart-ass alert.

The topology for the saber has me thinking it's going to be rebuilt over the long term, I've got to get to other aspects of the image (about 3 dozen in all... down to full blown skeletal and anatomy/muscle systems...) so it will be some time.

Expect wireframes of the saber at some point... Aspects of the saber are tricky enough, but elements are incredibly tight and of course, many interior and outer corners that run edges to perfect circles, or are on curved surfaces, or are in many ways not going to play nicely for one looking for good surface control, good topology, and good accuracy.

Sigh....

Thanks for the comments thus far e_g_180! Momentum is a great help....
  • SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    Looking like a good start here- looking forward to seeing what comes next. :)
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."
    Thanks!
    Reworking the mesh. Since it's all subD, there's a good bit that I'm not happy with... might be time to take advantage of pixar subdiv and use some weights, but... dunno... frustrating!

luke_ANH_TEST_08.JPG
    110532.JPG
    Just my two cents, but there are definitely things I wouldn't sub D on this one. In fact, I'm not so sure I'd sub D any of it. But, that's just me. Different methods and different software, etc.

Anywho, having said all of that, I think it's looking great.
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    Coming along nicely! Personally I've never used sub'd weights, I just move/add spans to adjust the sharpness of a corner.
    With open subdiv becoming more the norm, it's a time to experiment with them, but yeah, I'm usually adding in geo. It's case of the inherent shape complexity and insets, engraved details, rounded insets, fillets... it gets heavy in ways that can be a real chore to solve...! I don't use displacement for graphics, am happy that the graflex logo is hidden, though the tape would reveal it in some ways...

luke_ANH_TOPO_01.jpg
    110540.jpg
    Well, your wires look nice and clean. I say whatever method works best for you is the best method to use. :)