Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

New Star Wars

1234568»

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    As far as I'm concerned, there have been seven fantastic films. The Clone Wars is good, though I like the TV series much better.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Heh, late to the party here as typically when the trailer broke I was on holiday out in the sticks with zero to low reception, just about managed to get enough of a signal to watch the trailer but not much else. Nice holiday though.

:lol:

Well for my two cents, looks pretty sweet from what is on show here, and with the traditional trappings of the classic trilogy will probably feel more like Star Wars than the sequel trilogy. Really looking forward to this.

I think there is so much opportunity for rich and original storytelling in this tale it would be hard not to have a more unique story than that that TFA presented us with which was largely set up and a strong foundation for the new trilogy, this story has much more room to maneuver with the hook being a line or two from the opening crawl of the first movie, and it is essentially a Dirty Dozen style guys on a mission heist movie style affair, what is not to love? They also seem to have gone with a slightly darker tone. They really have nailed the feel of the original movies, and yet it looks quite unique too with how they've handled it. What do people think of the slightly different AT-AT Walkers? Looks to me like the heads are slightly different, the red glow usually in the window seems to be coming from above that area, might be a compositing error I guess, but that was the only bit I wasn't completely sold on, everything else really resonated with me personally. Liked the look of Forrest Whitaker's character, and the shot of the Death Star super laser being installed was epic, those ISDs looked as if they were pulled straight out of the first film the lighting was so spot on. Also liking the look of Ben Mendelsohn's Grand Admiral looking Imperial character, and wasn't that the actress who played Mon Mothma in Episode 3 playing her here? Nice touch, and spot on casting, so many interesting questions from a minute and a half of footage. Shadow/Deathtroopers looked interesting too, and just who is that robed shadowy figure between the Emperor's Royal Guards?

Absolutely loving how this is looking, if it delivers half as well as it looks here I might be looking forward to this more than Ep.VIII, and I'm REALLY looking forward to that too.

:thumb:

Oh, and did anyone else notice the Docklands train station as the setting for that running interior sequence? I think it might even be a station I had to use last year in full costume when we went to that Secret Cinema Star Wars event last summer.

:argh:
    It looks like, aside from the different heads, the shape of the main part of the AT-AT is also different. If indeed those were AT-ATs. They may have been a slightly different model, or a variant.

The tone of the film definitely looks darker, but that's as it should be for a film set during the dark time of the Emperor's reign. There is definitely a lot of room for original storytelling here, and a cast of all new characters with a few familiar ones like Mon Mothma. I would expect Tarkin and Vader to factor into things also. After all, Tarkin oversaw the Death Star's construction and Vader was hot on the trail of those plans.
    Looking again at that red glow on the AT-ATs, that might just be the reflection on the head armour from the muzzleflash from the firing blaster cannons, but yes, the body is definitely different too, with a tan section of body armour on the side of the main body. I think the heavy chin guns are missing too.

I think Vader will definitely be in it, I think this has been all but confirmed already by official sources who have hinted, but not released anything concrete on the subject.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    I think Vader will definitely be in it, I think this has been all but confirmed already by official sources who have hinted, but not released anything concrete on the subject.
    Will James Earl Jones voice him again? The man's not getting any younger.

I'm looking forward to Rogue One; I was very disapointed with TFA. It wasn't a bad movie, it was just bland. Just a rehash of Star Wars OT leftovers microwaved into a new feature.
    Will James Earl Jones voice him again? The man's not getting any younger.

I'm looking forward to Rogue One; I was very disapointed with TFA. It wasn't a bad movie, it was just bland. Just a rehash of Star Wars OT leftovers microwaved into a new feature.

I don't see why not, he's already voicing him for the Rebels animated series, and it is only his voice after all and not the physical body performance.

I think Rogue One may well strike the right chord with people more than TFA did due to the time it is set, but while it did hew a little close to the original movie with some of the plot points, I think there was enough original detail in there to allow it to stand on it's own. Though that was the problem for most, when it aped the original a little too on the nose. I remember my own heart sinking, and the lack of originality alarm bells going off when I saw the Death Star wannabe in the first reveal of the movie's poster. On watching the movie though, I felt it was different enough, but that those plot similarities did mark it down from being the perfect movie to a still awesome movie, just with a few issues.
    James Earl Jones is 85 years old. Betty White is 93 and still acts in front of the camera. Clint Eastwood is 85 and is still directing and producing. So, as along as James Earl Jones is in good health, like those two, and his voice holds up, I don't see an issue with him sitting in a chair reading some lines. Imagine all of the butthurt fans if he doesn't do the voice. I've heard some "other" Vaders over the years in video games, none of them get it quite right.
  • Sly AssassinSly Assassin0 Posts: 0Member
    Rouge One has a lot of potential, firstly starting with a lack of Jedi/Sith in it as main characters. I'd rather see them as glimpsed characters in moments of intense action as the main characters bail from a sticky situation.
    Secondly I hope they go darker than what they have in the past with this movie. Ideally I'd love to see an R16 - I know this won't happen - but will settle for some gibbed stormtroopers and so forth. After reading tons of the EU novels I've always wanted a very dark grim and in your face Star wars movie where it's not all clean laser kills. Some good brutal hand to hand and so forth would suit this universe well.
    Unfortunately this is Starwars and I'll never get that kind of movie. I understand the family appeal these movies have but would love to see an Adult version.
    It's not just that it's Star Wars, it's also that it's Disney and they want to make the movie to where it appeals to not only to adults who love this stuff, but also to parents with children too. Teenagers have to be able to get into it without an adult present. Disney has never made a movie with higher than a PG-13 (US MPAA system) rating, at least not under the Disney name. Hell, it took them ages to even make one with that high of a rating. I think it was one of the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels. So, no R ratings in the foreseeable future for them. ;)

It does look like the main character has some fighting skill. In one clip in the trailer, it looks like she's kicking some butt. I would definitely like to see that kind of action from a non Jedi character. Kind of a "See? Other people in this universe can kick butt too" moment. Unfortunately, in the movies, non Jedi characters mostly seem to be able to fight with blasters. This is as opposed to the EU and even The Clone Wars, where other types of weapons and fighting are used. But, we'll see.

It wouldn't surprise me if they threw in a Jedi character, but I actually expect there to be none, as this is well after the Jedi purge. However, we're likely to see at least one Sith, at least briefly. ;)
    Celebration Europe Key Art Quite revealing....

Breaking Rogue One news, check out the Celebration Europe key artwork which features both characters and settings from both The Force Awakens and Rogue One. What is interesting here is that we get a bit more detail regarding a few of the assets and a closer clearer look at some of the new toys in that Star Wars universe coming our way.

2016_Celebration_KEY_ART.jpg

The Star Wars Show, the new weekly webisode from the official Star Wars website goes on to name a few of those new assets on show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IVW0aIO2Lg

First they mention the black armoured Death Troopers that we already know about, but then they go on to mention the tan armoured troops seen manning a speeder tank in the trailer, I'd just assumed these would be some new tank crew style trooper like we've seen in the prequel trilogy crewing AT-TE Walkers, but no, these are known as Shoretroopers, so the tan colour is for sand camouflage. Interesting that there is a trooper class for so specific a terrain type as the beach, but from the trailers we do see quite a lot of action happens on a beach, so maybe the Empire has an installation right on some nice highly sought after beach front property and this is enough to warrant the terrain specific trooper class. We also get a specific name for the other new star of the show, and a much clearer look at them too. So we get to find out what these new Imperial Walkers are, and why they look different to the traditional Walkers we've seen before in the original trilogy. So their official name is an AT-ACT Walker (doesn't exactly roll off the tongue does it?), but this class of Walker is interesting, it stands for All-Terrain Armoured Cargo Transport, so this explains the slightly different look. The illustration also more clearly highlights those differences. Looks like the yellow/brown section on the side of the main body might be a self contained cargo slug from the look of it. And it looks like my initial thoughts on the walker on seeing the trailer might have been correct after all, as I thought I saw what looked like lights for an additional cock-pit window above where it usually would be on the walker head, and the illustration shows this to be true. We also clearly see the walker only has the lighter blasters on either side of the head and not the more devastating chin guns of a standard AT-AT. So that makes them and the sequence seen in the trailer all the more interesting. But surely the Rebels aren't trying to hijack a convoy of Cargo Walkers on foot? That isn't going to end well. Does add to the Old West vibe of the movie, if the Rebels are like a Magnificent Seven style affair and then they effectively pull of the Star Wars equivalent of robbing a train or stagecoach? That will be totally Bad Ass!

Heh, and following that train of thought that effectively makes the Death Troopers the Black Hats. Nice.

110671.jpg
    WHOOP!! WHOOP!!!!!

Who's down for a trip down the Corridor of Death(TM) on release day people? Those who have played the original Battlefront will know what I mean.

[/QUOTE]
    Wow, no one has commented on the new Rogue One trailer here yet?

Here's the link as if you need it. What are people's thoughts?

Personally I think it is bloody awesome, but let's hear what everyone else has to say.
    We didn't discuss this here? ;)

Yeah, it looks sweet. I think it's going to be an awesome film.
    Oh, and if you haven't seen them yet check these out...

A fan made poster and part of a set of two by artist Orlando Arocena, full credit to him and and his awesome work. I think these would make awesome alternate official movie posters for the movie, so appropriate is the idea and execution. Only downside is that there are a few typos in the design, but this is likely due to English not being the artist's first language. Doesn't make the designs any less awesome.

14053916_10155152090169689_6781605628490573235_o.jpg

The artist really speaks to the gritty war tone that is being brought to the Star Wars universe by this movie and illustrates it appropriately by doing a mash up of FMJ with SW. It could just as easily have been Saving Private Ryan, Platoon or Apocalypse Now, but the imagery for the FMJ poster just lent itself beautifully to this treatment.

Cracking stuff.