Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DKlingon Empire D7 Redux

• JWWrightJWWright171 Posts: 0Member
    This ship is at red alert, or something.

More work completed on the top decks, have a look:

Klingon_D7_110.jpg

Klingon_D7_114.jpg

Klingon_D7_112.jpg

Klingon_D7_115.jpg

Klingon_D7_116.jpg

Klingon_D7_111.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Looking great. :thumb:

Maybe this particular ship patrols the red light sector of Klingon space. ;)
    Thanks, man... maybe this is a mobile Klingon brothel? Now there's a thought!

Klingon_D7_118.jpg

Klingon_D7_121.jpg

Klingon_D7_119.jpg

Klingon_D7_117.jpg

Klingon_D7_120.jpg

Klingon_D7_123.jpg

Klingon_D7_122.jpg
    Command deck is starting to take shape, shapes that can change without notice:

Klingon_D7_127.jpg

Klingon_D7_128.jpg

Klingon_D7_126.jpg

Klingon_D7_125.jpg

Klingon_D7_124.jpg
  • Judge DeathJudge Death0 Posts: 0Member
    Liking in. BTW, does this ship have boom separation ability? Needsa small impulse engine at the back if it does.

I'd put thick armor mpanels on the actual module, sort of "Protect the people who MATTER!" thing. The thing at the top behind the command pod could be a special VIP dock so important visitors could transfer directly to the officer's area and not have to be subjected to walking thru "the unwashed masses" section of the ship.Or maybe a small warp shuttle could be hidden in it to give the most important people a final chance at surviving.

BTW, the green glowey panels at the sides are nice looking but I have no idea what they could be. Perhaps emergency impulse engines for the boom section and an independent power supply for it in case main power and LS fails?
    Thanks, man. The command hull will have a docking module, but as far as separation, probably not at this point, it wouldn't really serve any honorable function for a Klingon crew. There will be plenty of armor plating, I'm not sure what those things on the sides are, just interesting shapes.

Klingon_D7_129.jpg

Klingon_D7_133.jpg

Klingon_D7_134.jpg

Klingon_D7_132.jpg

Klingon_D7_130.jpg

Klingon_D7_131.jpg
    Looking great. :D

Yeah, Klingons are all about the honor of dying in battle.
  • bbeltbbelt0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking great so far. Really liking the overall flow of the design. One thing that bothers me is the deck above the bulbous hull and below the two decks where the command deck is at. The windows seem out of place for me and I would not have them there all together. Trying to imagine the deck layout of the ship and i see that space being two small to be used as a deck in itself. I would also recommend you smooth out some of the meshes as well.
    Thanks, guys.

Plenty of deckspace, 13 storeys tall:

Klingon_D7_135.jpg
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Really liking this. Apart from the red windows. :p
  • SeanPSeanP218 Posts: 256Member
    I like this model a lot! Your greebles look great too!
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    Vortex5972 wrote: »
    Really liking this. Apart from the red windows. :p

I have to agree, it's a combination of the color and the quantity that's throwing me. I don't see a warrior race having so many vulnerable spots on the hull, or having the need/desire to see out (esp. not when you consider the gloomy cloud-fest that Kronos has been portrayed as in the last few series and films).

That said, it's an aesthetic thing more than anything else, and it is a damned good looking ship!!
    Thanks guys. This ship is at battle alert status, hence the red lights.

bird_of_prey_bridge.jpg

The D7/K'Tinga has quite a few exterior window ports in its hull:

640px-IKS_Amar_firing_forward_torpedo.jpg

Again, let's remember this is a WIP, not a final, textured model.
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    I'd forgotten the TMP-era D7s were so ... pierced. :D

Like I said, it's an aesthetic thing, and the model is a beauty regardless.
    Thank you!

This ship is smaller than the K'Tinga class, probably about 75% of it's size.

Klingon_D7_141.jpg

Klingon_D7_136.jpg

Klingon_D7_137.jpg

Klingon_D7_138.jpg

Klingon_D7_139.jpg

Klingon_D7_140.jpg

Klingon_D7_142.jpg
    Forward phaser turrets

Klingon_D7_143.jpg

Klingon_D7_144.jpg

Klingon_D7_145.jpg

Klingon_D7_146.jpg

Klingon_D7_147.jpg

Klingon_D7_149.jpg

Klingon_D7_150.jpg
    Really nice work on those. They look deadly.
  • Judge DeathJudge Death0 Posts: 0Member
    Great work on the phasers, but could you mount them on circulpar platforms to suggest the whole assemblywould rotate, like a turret, to track targets?

BTW,needs at least a tractor beam or two,for tactical reasons.
    You left Spacedock without a tractor beam?!
  • commandersozocommandersozo492 Posts: 628Member
    phaser turrets? doesn't the klingons use disruptors?
    Klingons can also use phasers. They did in TAS. Also, the Enterprise crew was using Klingon hand phasers in Star Trek IV.
    Thanks, guys, I appreciate it. Yep, Klingon™ brand Phasers, ask for 'em by name!

The emitter is a ball and socket piece, it has a generous targeting cone.

I added a few shield generators and have blocked out the basic nacelle shape, have a look:

Klingon_D7_153.jpg

Klingon_D7_152.jpg

Klingon_D7_154.jpg

Klingon_D7_155.jpg

Klingon_D7_157.jpg

Klingon_D7_156.jpg

Klingon_D7_151.jpg
    More nacelle shape refinement:

Klingon_D7_158.jpg

Klingon_D7_160.jpg

Klingon_D7_159.jpg

Klingon_D7_162.jpg

Klingon_D7_161.jpg

Klingon_D7_164.jpg

Klingon_D7_163.jpg
    And more detail...

Klingon_D7_169.jpg

Klingon_D7_165.jpg

Klingon_D7_170.jpg

Klingon_D7_168.jpg

Klingon_D7_166.jpg

Klingon_D7_167.jpg
    It's all looking good, but I especially like the nacelles.
    Thanks man, got a few more windows added and beginning the chore of texture maps...

Klingon_D7_173.jpg

Klingon_D7_175.jpg

Klingon_D7_172.jpg

Klingon_D7_174.jpg

Klingon_D7_171.jpg
  • Maphisto86Maphisto860 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice work on this D7 variant JWWright. It looks like it is coming along nicely. I like redesigns that only subtly change aspects of the classic design; adding detail where there was none, etc. Though the changes are more apparent on this Klingon battle cruiser, it is still something I could expect to see on the original Enterprise's view screen.

P.S. According to the (albeit non-canon) Haynes Manual to the Klingon Bird of Prey, Klingon vessels are built to specifications drawn up by the Great House that commissions the ship. A specific example includes phasers rather than the more common disruptor armament. While the Klingon's Naval Academy designs the ships, each one is somewhat uniquely outfitted by the house that commissioned it before the vessel is then pledged to the Klingon Defense Forces.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Loving how this is coming along, some great work on the detailing, is really coming together now. I like how it has something of a feel of the TNG Klingon Cruisers about it in the detailing, but still looks distinctively D7 like, as if this is what we should have seen on that show rather than the unaltered TMP D7s that were always used. What era are you designing this for? Forgive me if you've already mentioned that earlier in the thread.
    Guys, thanks, I really appreciate it!

As far as era, I'm really not thinking in those terms, I usually approach my renditions of existing properties as more of an artistic interpretation... I usually don't start out with a plan and the models kind of define themselves as I go, like an abstract sculpture. This ship is smaller than the K'tinga's seen in TMP, maybe a speedy Klingon corvette?

I really dig the idea of great houses commissioning their own ships for the Empire, it's kind of Dune like, it makes sense that they would be a feudal culture. It makes them a more interesting alien.

Anyway, my least fav chore: texturing... what a drudge! I can't imagine anyone enjoys this process:

Klingon_D7_180.jpg

Klingon_D7_176.jpg

Klingon_D7_181.jpg

Klingon_D7_182.jpg

Klingon_D7_178.jpg

Klingon_D7_179.jpg
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    wow, I love the details. Especially on the bridge section.