Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSemi hard SF design.

2»

• bbeltbbelt0 Posts: 0Member
    It is not that uncommon for a model to have that many vertices in it; however it is possible you may be using to many in some areas where you could use far less. Can you post a few images of the wireframe? It would help in seeing where those problem areas may be.
  • Judge DeathJudge Death0 Posts: 0Member
    let me get on that.
  • JWWrightJWWright171 Posts: 0Member
    Less talk, more work!

The forward section is an unusual shape, is that functional or aesthetics? Will there be portholes in the hull, to give a sense of scale? What will we see in the next update?
    JWWright wrote: »
    Less talk, more work!

The forward section is an unusual shape, is that functional or aesthetics? Will there be portholes in the hull, to give a sense of scale? What will we see in the next update?

Well JW, the front end is basically part of the reason I did this. See this ship is inspired by another ship I saw a real blender master doing in blender. Lemme see if I can find the video.

yeah, here ya go. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vap1fbyB-cM

I love this guy's work as far as his designs, there are times I'd like to take off one of my socks and beat him with the wet end for only doing time lapse vids though....:mad:

I liked the ship overall and decided to try my own version of it, the idea of the double recurve fore section was one of ther very first ideas I had, it just appeared in my head with a compulsion to make it happen.

The second real part of it was the forward scanner array. Again the ideaof that just came into my mind on it's own, and i felt a need to make it happen.

Anyway, here's my latest work. I added the retro/forward thrusters to the rear section. I also added a rearward scanner array. At first I was not sure about a rear scanner array to watch out for navigational hazards (Big rocks) but it would be needed during deceleration. I was concerned that during decel the ship's engines are going to be going full blast and the emissions might make it hard to scan in that direction.

Then I had a "SCIENCE, BITCH!" moment along with a "Lemons into lemonade" moment and realized that while the emissions from the engines might block some types of scanning, they could also be useful in spotting anything in the ship's path during decel asany significant objects are going to be illuminated by the engine's emissions to some degree,so the rear sensors are optimized to detect things reacting to the ship's engines exhaust.

I was also concerned the EM fields and such generated by the reactors and engines could play havoc with the delicate electronics of a sensor array and the computers that process the data they gather. So: I put them outside the hull in shielded pods with a layer of shielding between them and the engineering hull. They have power feeds and fiberoptic cables feeding data to the main computers of course.

rearthrrusters1.jpg

I'm going to add some heat radiators to the sides to radiate heat from the reactors. I may actually break with my current methods and greeble the @%$&;! out of them as I'm impressed by the greebling on that klingon battlecruiser redux. I may have to watch it as my vert count is up there now, well over 1.5 megaverts.
    110270.jpg
    I could never get the hang of Blender, maybe someday I'll hit some tut's, people do great work with it.
    JWWright wrote: »
    I could never get the hang of Blender, maybe someday I'll hit some tut's, people do great work with it.
    Go here, save the series to your system.

http://youtu.be/12gU1ijg2qE
  • psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    You should have plenty of time to scan your flight path prior to spin and burn. That's the wonderful things about orbital mechanics, no surprises (as it pertains to Big Rocks--no need to explain other craft with the ability to make orbital changes behind the cover of other bodies). Science fiction often fails to teach that. Once you know where something is, you know where it's going be and how fast it's moving.
    there's always chaos theory. An unforseen collision bhetween two objects could alter their courses and put one in a ship's path. Better to be safe than sorry.
    No. You're going to know where those potentially colliding asteroids are too. You're flight path will be planned well in advance, and any deviation allowable by your delta V budget will also be planned, and you'll have a more extensive library of known asteroids, and more sensative passive visual and IR sensors than we have today to detect unknowns well in advance of main engine burns. Nothing hides in space for long. If you are serious about striving for hard(er) science fiction, that is.
    Ever consider if space traffick becomes a business it's possible that some competitors might "accidentially nudge crap into competitors flight paths. maybe an engine thrust fires just enough to unintentionally push a rock off course, it it goes towards a competitor;s ship, too bad.

Here's the newest pic, and the last really big structural part: The radiator system. The projections sticking out, which will be mirrored along the z and x axis, will have radiator panels along the slanted surfaces to radiate heat away from the ship from the reactors. In most flight time they may not be too necessary as except when the reactors are at full, when the main engines are burning, they will be at low power and the 'waste heat' will mostly be used to keep the ship friendly towards human habitation.

I plan on adding some piping so I guess I gotta learn hw to do pipes along paths, huh? Hopefully not that hard. I hope.

radiator1.jpg
    110271.jpg
    I'm kinda sticking on ideas for the radiators, I mean I think I may make them copper colored since copper supposedly conducts heat extremely well and i assume radiates it well too. Beyond that I'm kind of sticking for ideas here. Maybe a grid like setup?I suppose I could like make a fine grid, then inset and lower faces to create a griddy looking thing.

I added some pipes around the rim to suggest a fluid heat conducting liquid flow. At this point I'm kinda stuck though. Any helpful opinion would be welcome.
  • bbeltbbelt0 Posts: 0Member
    Are you going for a more real world/modern day tech, or futuristic/sci-fi tech? If it is futuristic, then you could come up with your own technology; and therefore look of the radiator. Think chiller grills on Star Trek Nacelles.

For real world tech, maybe if you could something similar to the radiator system on the ISS. They fold in and out when needed and resemble solar panels.
    Go to the Atomic Rocket website, Basic Design. Radiators are toward the bottom of the page...keep scrolling.
    The Atomic Rocket site rocks.

How about radiators that are more organic, sort of like gills that fold flat against the hull and unfold when the drive is active?

ptg01064590.jpg