Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DKlingon Empire D7 Redux

JWWrightJWWright171 Posts: 0Member
edited March 2016 in Work in Progress #1
I thought I'd take a stab at the groundbreaking Jefferies design for an aggressive alien starship.

The problem with tackling this is that the original was such an effective design, it's difficult to improve on. The D7 really looks alien. In an era of flying saucers and rocket ships it was (like the Constitution class) a radical departure from anything seen before and still holds up to this day.

So I have some rough geometry, I may do a more radical D7 variant in the future but for this one, I'm faithful to the proportions of the original design:

Klingon_D7_22.jpgKlingon_D7_23.jpgKlingon_D7_20.jpgKlingon_D7_21.jpgKlingon_D7_17.jpg
110399.jpg
Post edited by JWWright on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nice start. It will be interesting to see where you go with this, I'm assuming it will be along the same vein as your recent Constitution class.
  • JWWrightJWWright171 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks, man, yeah... it should be pretty similar, but this will have more detail parts, I caved in and began using a few free greeble packs to fill in the bits 'n pieces... they are a time saver!

Klingon_D7_26.jpgKlingon_D7_25.jpg
    Nice details, even if you did cheat. ;)
  • billtfargobilltfargo332 Posts: 6Member
    Very cool...
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    Okay...who decided it was a good idea to shunt the exhaust pipes into the ship? :)
    Joking of course but the greeblies on the back remind me of exhaust pipes.
    Thanks, guys! Yeah... that famous Klingon plumbing... all these conduits are GNDN!

Cheating? Well... that's a strong word... I like to think of it as kitbashing! Yeah, that's the ticket!

It does save some time, but not as much as I'd hoped, I keep editing the greeble packs to get them the way I want.

Klingon_D7_27.jpgKlingon_D7_30.jpgKlingon_D7_29.jpgKlingon_D7_28.jpgKlingon_D7_32.jpgKlingon_D7_31.jpg
    It's looking good so far. Though, with all of that stuff exposed, you have to be careful about making it not look Star Trek, unless you're going for a total reimagining.
    JWWright wrote: »
    Cheating? Well... that's a strong word... I like to think of it as kitbashing! Yeah, that's the ticket!

Well, I was joking about that. Hence, the winking smiley. ;)
    Thanks, man!

Oh, I dunno about what 'Star Trek' looks like... I'm pretty much ignoring what many consider to be the 'established' aesthetic, a lot of which I'm not crazy about at all.

Often my models, like this one, are meditative design studies, I let the geometry take on it's own life and design direction as I go, probably not the best way to model. I might try working from a design one day.

Klingon_D7_33.jpg

Klingon_D7_34.jpg

Klingon_D7_36.jpg

Klingon_D7_35.jpg

Klingon_D7_37.jpg

Klingon_D7_38.jpg

Klingon_D7_40.jpg
    Well, the smooth hulls and curved lines are the established look of Star Trek. That's not to say there aren't occasionally angular designs. However, aside from the Borg and a few other ships, Trek ships are generally light on greebles. In fact, both Matt Jefferies and Gene Roddenberry fought with the studio over that look, and won battles both in the 1960s and 1970s to keep that smooth hull "less is more" look. That's what I meant about the greebles making it look less like Star Trek. I'm not saying I don't like it, I've done my own greeble-tastic Trek designs in the past. ;) I'm just saying it doesn't follow the established norm for Trek.
    I think I know what you mean... This will have small concentrated islands of detail bits and large planes of smooth-ish hull... to give the impression of a lot going on under the surface.

As I'm working on this, I'm getting the idea to do a very organic, highly curved version of this hull configuration... I'll try and finish this first.

More to come!
    More detail on the nacelle strut:

Klingon_D7_42.jpg

Klingon_D7_41.jpg

Klingon_D7_44.jpg

Klingon_D7_45.jpg

Klingon_D7_43.jpg
    Looking good. :thumb:
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Greeble-tastic! :) Loving all the lovingly created detail in there. She's going to be a thing of beauty when she's finished with all that attention to detail.

I notice a lot of smoothing errors at the moment - do you deliberately leave these until later in the modeling process?

Looking forward to seeing more of her.
    Thanks, guys! Yeah I do leave the smoothing errors in... I try to avoid perfectly flat planes, I like a little chaos in the geometry.

More plating!

Klingon_D7_50.jpg

Klingon_D7_48.jpg

Klingon_D7_46.jpg

Klingon_D7_49.jpg

Klingon_D7_47.jpg
    Yeah, I figured that out with your recent Enterprise model, so I stopped commenting on it. ;)

It's looking really good. I like the K't'inga inspired plating. :)
    Thanks! I was hoping for the large armor plating to be a little more subtle, I may flatten them down, I think they're too pronounced... quick update on the boom base, I wanted it to look a bit like the strut coupling connection to the radiator panels on a TIE fighter :

Klingon_D7_51.jpg

Klingon_D7_53.jpg

Klingon_D7_52.jpg
    A few more bits 'n pieces...

Klingon_D7_56.jpg

Klingon_D7_55.jpg

Klingon_D7_54.jpg
  • trekkitrekki947 Posts: 1,400Member
    Very very nice Details !;)
    I love the Klingon Ships.....
  • Judge DeathJudge Death0 Posts: 0Member
    So do you plan to keep the disruptors mounted on the ends of the nacelles like the original?

You know what your beautifuldesign and render makes me think this ship is: An economy class battlecruiser. I see this ship as the klin gons acknowledging they don['t have the tech to produce a ship that can match a federation cruiser one on one so have decided to build a massive number of ships that were designed to be as cheap and easy to mass produce as possible. Think of Liberty ships in ww2 or the soviet t-34 tank. Cheap designs that win thru sheer numbers. (BTW, the t34 was cheap and easily mass produced but still well armed and effective.)

So I see this as a klingon effort to design an attrition ship meant to beat the federation in a war of attrition thru sheer numbers. I mean, if you look at "errand of mercy" "friday's child" and "Elayne of troyius" it's obvious klingon battlecruisers were vastly inferior to federation ships. Apparently they could not produce a ship of equal quality and power to a federation ship, so they were goingto go with mass nhumbers of cheap ships in a war of attrition.

I'm not saying your ship looks cheap or it's a bad looking model, I wish I could model this good and this fast. (Dammit all!) It's a beautiful model that's likely better than anything I'll ever make. I'm just saying the ship looks likeit was designed to be built rapidly and easily at low cost to produce a mass attrition fleet, hence straight lines and angled replacing curves. Maybe the klingons were building these before the organians came in and stopped the war.

SoI could see this as an attrition unit or an "Economy battlecruiser" design.Very beautifuly designed and modeled. Wish I was that good.
    BTW, i'd make the boom separable and able to detach and serve as a lifeboat like a federation saucer section. The idea is the crew in the rear hull are mostly conscripts quickly trained to do routine maintenance and repairs, while the command crew in the boom are more valuable, more experienced and skilled, and worth saving to stick into a new ship. If you want to go with the idea of it being a mass produced attrition unit that might fit in with it.

Oh, your modeling and greebling are just great. In fact they're so great I'm stealing a few of your details to put on a ship I'm working on, OK? I've been thinking of attitude control thruster systems for a more hard science ship I'm modeling and a few of the greebles you had on the rear hull just jumped out at me as the perfect solution. No hard feelings about the lift, OK?
    Thanks man, I haven't really put that much thought into it, I suppose it could be a mass produced, econo treaty enforcement platform... as far as arms, what was originally a nav deflector on the forward hull has, over the years, become a 'disruptor' so I'll leave that, but will have phaser turrets, I thought this might be a good gunship frame, with 8 emitters total, covering the fore and aft, above and below...

The detail bits, as I stated earlier, are from a few free greeble packs, to save time, but I ended up editing them heavily to look the way I want, which still saved a little time, but not as much as I had hoped. You have some good, imaginative ideas, very interesting!

Quick update, beginning work on the boom and forward hull:

Klingon_D7_57.jpg

Klingon_D7_58.jpg

Klingon_D7_64.jpg

Klingon_D7_63.jpg

Klingon_D7_60.jpg

Klingon_D7_62.jpg

Klingon_D7_59.jpg

Klingon_D7_61.jpg
    You know you could call it what translates into D-7A. The klingons claim the A stands for "Assault vessel" The feds would cynically and accurately say it stood for "Attrition vessel".

But yeah, when I design something I try to create a backstory for it that validates it in the universe it's part of. I considered your ship worthy of my attention and came up with that background for it if you want to use it.Hey, I'm ripping off one of your greebles, you can use my storyline if you want. As I see it the ships we saw in the series would remain mainstays of the klingon fleet, with the most experienced and successful crews and officers on board. these are the 'peon' units in RTS terms. They could also be made of cheaper, more abundant materials that were strong enough to serve as warship hulls but were harder to work and form than the more expensive and rare materials the original klingon vessels were made from, hence the simpler. angular shapes.

As to the forward thingy, in TOS it was a sensor system. Even klingons need to see, you know.I suppose it could be a disruptor cannon on an assault cruiser as an assault cruiser may not need long range sensors since long range sensor data would be provided by the higher grade klingon ships in a task force that would honorably and heroically stay in the rear of the fleets in battle.. Klingons had photon torpedoes in the movie era, after several years of the organi9an peace gave them time to develop reliable torps or honorably and heroically steal the tech from the federation. (Get the impression I'm not much of a klingon fan?)

I suppose you could argue this vessel has photon torpedoes in limited qualities as they're not quite perfected yet and have a nasty habit of failing to detonate at all or detonating before you want them too, so naturally they get fitted on the disposable units.:devil:

Another option is to make 3 variants of this. One has a big sensor array for guiding the fleet and would bge in small numbers and expected to not usually be as aggressive in combat as they're important units but under armed.

Another variant could have a disruptor cannon. The third gets the somewhat unreliable photon torpedo system. These would usually be assigned to the least experienced, valuable crews with officers that have below average records.Assignment to one of these ships would generally be regarded as a :flippy:

Hope my ideas help you, I always wanted to be a sf writer, I still have a little talent for making up stuff like that.
    BTW what are you doing this in?
    The details are looking really good so far. Though, I'm personally not overjoyed about the faceted "bulge" of the lower part of the head.
    JWWright wrote: »
    as far as arms, what was originally a nav deflector on the forward hull has, over the years, become a 'disruptor' so I'll leave that, but will have phaser turrets, I thought this might be a good gunship frame, with 8 emitters total, covering the fore and aft, above and below...

The navigational deflector has become the torpedo launcher. It started firing torpedoes in TMP and has since. Whenever we saw disruptors/phasers fired, it was from somewhere around the nacelles (TOS, TNG) or the little details to the left and right of the big bulge thing under the flat part of the "head." (TAS) Some schematic sheets label those details as disruptors. However, the navigational deflector never fired disruptors, just topedoes.
    Judge, you should write short stories, a good military scifi story about Klingon patrols would be a fun read... I use C4D, CorelDraw, PShop and Premiere for modelling and animation.

Evil, I'm torn between going full geometric or spherical for the fwd hull... this is kind of a compromise... the facets on this one might end up looking like an armor plated spaceframe, I hope... everything is an experiment.

I always imagined the hexagon bumps under the top decks were phaser emitters:

imageGallery_4.jpg

Designs for warp ships that have no apparent nav deflectors (like the Reliant...) always bothered me, so I put twin nav d's on the main hull for this design. I might go with a more hexagon shaped tube for the torp/disruptor emitter.

Stay tuned, more to come!
    Those are the ones I was talking about. They're either phasers or disruptors.
    Those are the ones I was talking about. They're either phasers or disruptors.
    Actually those bumps by the command pod were tractor emitters. The disruptois we saw in the series were on the ends of the nacelles.

One issue I had with the photorp launched on the klingon ships was that since ST2 the torps were actual p0hysical objects. Look at the size of that tube and think how big a torp to fill it would be. The command pod could hold like what, 2 or3 of them? And how hard would it be to load them into the tube?

Now the render above makes it look far more polausible for that to be a torp tube if the torps are physical o0bjects.
    Originally, I don't know if photon torpedoes were supposed to be physical objects. It was only in Nicholas Meyer's "submarine" movie in space that we first saw photons as physical objects. In The Original Series, they fired from the front of the lower sensor dome, the same place the phasers fired from. There's no opening there for a projectile to have been launched from. However, photons are particles of light. So, if you break down the term photon torpedo, a literal meaning would be "light torpedo." I suspect they were originally intended to be energy only weapons. Indeed, the phaser emitters putting out a similar type of proximity blast weapon was described in the bible for the unfinished series "Star Trek: Phase II." We also saw what appeared to be phasers fired this way in the early episodes of TOS, particularly in "Balance of Terror," the same effect that was later used for photon torpedoes.
    Actually those bumps by the command pod were tractor emitters.

Says who? In The Animated Series, they fired weapons, either phasers or disruptors. In TOS, they did nothing.
    Originally, I don't know if photon torpedoes were supposed to be physical objects. It was only in Nicholas Meyer's "submarine" movie in space that we first saw photons as physical objects. In The Original Series, they fired from the front of the lower sensor dome, the same place the phasers fired from. There's no opening there for a projectile to have been launched from. However, photons are particles of light. So, if you break down the term photon torpedo, a literal meaning would be "light torpedo." I suspect they were originally intended to be energy only weapons. Indeed, the phaser emitters putting out a similar type of proximity blast weapon was described in the bible for the unfinished series "Star Trek: Phase II." We also saw what appeared to be phasers fired this way in the early episodes of TOS, particularly in "Balance of Terror," the same effect that was later used for photon torpedoes.

Says who? In The Animated Series, they fired weapons, either phasers or disruptors. In TOS, they did nothing.

These were the closest thing to official blueprints for the original klingon battlecruiser that ever existed and they list them as tractor beams. They also show 9 phasers on the battlecruiser that were never used, one explanation was that they were actually low power defensive phasers meant to shoot down incoming weapons, which is why they were never used in the series, they were short range defensive phasers.

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/book-of-klingon-plans.php

As to firing phasers and torpedoes in the original series, you can't go by wha was aired at the time. The SFX team did whatever they wanted without regard for continuity or accuracy.How many times did they show phasers firing from the planetary sensor dome and photons firing from the same spot? They never looked at the blueprints, and sometimes had phasers firing in pulses like torpedoes.

As to the enterprise, the official blueprints which existed for a long time listed the ship as having 6 phasers in 3 banks, 2 on the underside centerline, the other 4 in two banks on the upper side of the hull. The torpedo tubes were under the bridge.

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints/constitution/constitution-08.jpg

I generally go by the stuff done in the starfleet tech manual which served as the basis for a lot of trek fandom until paramount made the movie. I don't consider a lot of the tng era stuff to be canon as rick berman openly wanted to defy long establish "fan canon" and in fact often went against it just to declare it null and void.
    I had always imagined a photon torpedo was a big wad of barely contained energy, like a directed plasma cannon ball... which I think is more interesting than the photorps we saw in the movies...

Love those Cygnus blueprints, that's a fun site. Got some more work on the fwd hull, it might be time to think about what the command deck should look like.

Klingon_D7_70.jpg

Klingon_D7_69.jpg

Klingon_D7_68.jpg

Klingon_D7_65.jpg

Klingon_D7_66.jpg

Klingon_D7_67.jpg