Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DThe "Super-Sedna" (Atlas-Class)

BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,565Member
edited January 2016 in Work in Progress #1
Hey, all...

I started working on this today... a "Super-Sedna"... a large, multi-mission fleet service ship, based upon an expanded Sedna-Class platform, with class/mission-specific modifications. For now, I'm calling this the "Atlas-Class" starship. The saucer and nacelles are the same size as that on the Galaxy/Nebula-Class ships, but with almost no windows.

super_sedna_01.gif

This is my first rough pass at the front profile. I'll have more tomorrow, as well as some more on just what her mission roles are, and what her capabilities are.
Post edited by BolianAdmiral on
Tagged:

• BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,565Member
    Okay, so basically, here is some more info on the design of the ship, and her roles and capabilities...

As stated above, the saucer and nacelles are of the Galaxy/Nebula size. The ship was inspired by a photo a friend showed me of part of a TMP filming model:

38846756_1_x.jpg

I looked at those tanks, and thought... you know what... why not slap a saucer on top of those, stick some nacelles to it, and make it a long-range deep-space heavy tanker/resupply ship? All we ever see in Trek are small shuttle-like fuel tankers, so I figured, what if a ship like WAY out in the deep frontier needs refueling or even resupply, and is far away from the nearest Federation outpost or starbase? What if they need for instance, a replacement set of warp coils, or impulse field generators... something that can't be replicated aboard ship? That's where the Atlas-Class comes in...

The saucer section (there really only is an upper-half of the saucer) is almost entirely hollow, functioning as one massive cargo/shuttle bay, with three bay doors at a forward cutout in the saucer, much like the shuttlebay on the Saber-Class ship.

The central cylinder tank, and the largest tank, serves as the ship's secondary hull. At the forward cap, is an inset/recessed deflector dish. to the forward-middle section, is some habitable decks with the ship's communal dining lounge, a gym, a garden, and a single holodeck. The aft section of the secondary hull is one massive hollw storage area, and each corner (think a + shape) is lined with docking clamps/tractor emitters, used to secure very large cargo items, like warp coils, etc, similar to the cargo tie-downs in a big rig trailer. Small refueling shuttles can easily fly in, stock up on the fuel needed, and zip back to the mother starship they are going to refuel/resupply. The aft end cap of the secondary hull is actually a split half-sphere door, which opens up in a similar fashion to the Super-Guppy airplane.

The expanded Sedna-style extension to the saucer section houses both the Bridge, and the crew quarters. All the crew live in the upper section, making that section somewhat analogous to a big rig's cab-over sleeper unit.

The twin smaller cylinders to either side of the secondary hull are massive slush deuterium tanks, for resupplying the ships it travels out to meet. I figure, if you're going to resupply a large, deep-frontier starship, it's simply not economically viable to send out some tiny-arse shuttle/tanker... you want to make the most of the long voyage, and bring not only as much fuel as possible, but want to take advantage of the opportunity to deliver any supplies the ship requires, parts they requested, etc. So, I figure a ship roughly Nebula-sized would be good for accomplishing these tasks, and I figured an expanded Sedna-variant saucer was a good platform for the primary hull, as the nacelles would be kept elevated and away from the fuel tanks. I will have more images later tonight or tomorrow.
    A preliminary top profile concept.

top.gif
  • bbeltbbelt0 Posts: 0Member
    It does indeed keep with the your other ships design so there is lineage. The part that I would like to see more of is how the mission specific modules attach to the ship. You could go with something simple like seen with that one class of ship in the Starfleet technical manual (I forgot the name of it at this time.) You could also go a different route entirely and make the connections look more stable.
    bbelt wrote: »
    It does indeed keep with the your other ships design so there is lineage. The part that I would like to see more of is how the mission specific modules attach to the ship. You could go with something simple like seen with that one class of ship in the Starfleet technical manual (I forgot the name of it at this time.) You could also go a different route entirely and make the connections look more stable.

Thanks. Yeah, I am thinking that is why there is only an "upper half" to the saucer section, and the bottom is flat, so that I can have some form of connection rails or mount for the pods on the bottom of the saucer.
    Playing around with new ideas for the forward saucer... thinking of maybe doing something like the Steamrunner and Saber, and splitting it down the middle, with twin shuttlebays on either side of the raised midsection.

IMG_0582_1.gif