Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSpace 1999 Eagle Transporter

BigDBigD0 Posts: 0Member
edited December 2015 in Work in Progress #1
Hello everyone, I am modeling the Eagle transporter from Space 1999.

Here is some progress pictures.

Screen1.jpg

&

Screen2.jpg

I am doing this in max, I converted cinema user and I am now a max user.
109892.jpg
Post edited by BigD on
Tagged:

• BigDBigD0 Posts: 0Member
    Hey Y'all, I've finally updating my space 1999 Eagle TransPorter.

Clean Topolgy wireframe photo
    EaglePodwired%252520.jpg

No Smoothing added
    EaglePod%252520.jpg

2 sub D's added
    EaglePodSmoothed%252520.jpg
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    Those curves are too organic. Remember that the Eagle models were done with knives and styrene, not foam and carving tools.
    Thanks Jenny, Here is the latest shot of my space 1999 which I've dubbed it Space 2010 concept model.

Screen3.jpg
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    I love to see someone trying an Eagle. Keep going!
    scifieric wrote: »
    I love to see someone trying an Eagle. Keep going!
    Thanks mate, After a lot of restarts and a lot of mess ups, I've finally got a good start on the Eagle Pod.

EaglePod.jpg
  • JWWrightJWWright171 Posts: 0Member
    The Eagle is indeed a challenge, once successful your skills will have increased. Have you thought about modelling the basic egg shape of the command module, cutting it in half, then using a symmetry modifier to create the other half, then cutting features into the egg shape?

Actually, you could just model one quarter and use two symmetry modifier to complete the CM. The rest of the ship is more geometric and will be much easier than the CM.
    JWWright wrote: »
    The Eagle is indeed a challenge, once successful your skills will have increased. Have you thought about modelling the basic egg shape of the command module, cutting it in half, then using a symmetry modifier to create the other half, then cutting features into the egg shape?

Actually, you could just model one quarter and use two symmetry modifier to complete the CM. The rest of the ship is more geometric and will be much easier than the CM.
    Now you tell me mate, Thank you for the advice I really appreciate it.

And I do think your right about the eagle modeling skills.

Anyways Here a few more pictures of the pod coming together.

EaglePod5.jpg

Other Side view.
    EaglePod6.jpg
    Your cut-outs are still too organic. If you look at a physical model of the Eagle, you'll see that the aft ends are windows, and the whole cut-out exists to give the pilot a field of view. See (http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/builds/mpc/build_mpc_0791.shtml) as an example.
    Jenny wrote: »
    Your cut-outs are still too organic. If you look at a physical model of the Eagle, you'll see that the aft ends are windows, and the whole cut-out exists to give the pilot a field of view. See (http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/builds/mpc/build_mpc_0791.shtml) as an example.
    Thank you Jenny, Right this is a learning model.

My next space 1999 "fighter will be more like non organic.

Anyways I've done a bit more work added a hatch door and I am starting on the piping system.
    EaglePod7.jpg

&
    EaglePod8.jpg
    Since Jenny gave me a good reference site I've finally been going to town on my Eagle TransPorter.

Here is what I got so far.
    AddinDetails.jpg

&
    AddinDetails2.jpg
  • cosedimarcocosedimarco171 Posts: 0Member
    Hi BigD
    this image show the steps I've done to model the Eagle CM with Sketchup.
    Eagle spacecraft WIP - 011.jpg
    You can find more WIP image of Eagle structure here.
    hope this could help you to improve the details of you work.
    109862.jpg
    Hi BigD
    this image show the steps I've done to model the Eagle CM with Sketchup.
    Eagle spacecraft WIP - 011.jpg
    You can find more WIP image of Eagle structure here.
    hope this could help you to improve the details of you work.
    Thanks mate, Now I am not sure if I want to continue this model since you got yours done. Or I can turn it in the Eagle Transport II
  • cosedimarcocosedimarco171 Posts: 0Member
    I think you should go on. Practice is always a good thing. :)
    Ok thank you mate I will go on, It will be another type of eagle from the space 1999 shipyard. Anyways Here is what I've got so far, I think She is coming along and I am learning a **** load.

AddinDetails4.jpg
    I agree; go on. The things you learn while doing it will make it worth the journey.

I was thinking about my knee-jerk reaction to your insets. They don't match my childhood memories of the show, so I automatically go "well, that's not right!" But the show was one particular point in time. What happened after the moon had been on its way for a few years, and new Eagles were built? Maybe they looked more organic. Maybe the whole inset was a window, with the flight deck under, rather than aft, of them.

So yeah... long winded way of saying, keep going!
    Updated, I still gotta add some detail to the passenger pods, but she is really looking good.

AddinDetails5.jpg
    Finished the storage pod, And Redid the structure support.

wip4.jpg

Wire frame shot to show my topology work.
    Wiredframe.jpg
    I am done for the morning, Here is the last update shot until next time.

wip5.jpg
    Decided to follow everyone's advice and I've started over making this eagle the the eagle that guy posted and a few posts up from this one.

Anyways Here is what I've got so far, This is the closes I've come to the eagle one pod. I am so happy, Happy, Happy.

newpodone.jpg
    Wow, see, your skills have improved a great deal just from the practice on the first version. Nicely done.
  • JWWrightJWWright171 Posts: 0Member
    You can really see your progress here, that's what's great about this site.

You might not need the Hypernurbs modifier at all on the command module, or really, any part of the ship, it's very geometric; depending on how accurate to the filming miniature you are looking to produce... roughing in the basic shapes and beveling the edges should get you pro-results.
    JWWright wrote: »
    You can really see your progress here, that's what's great about this site.

You might not need the Hypernurbs modifier at all on the command module, or really, any part of the ship, it's very geometric; depending on how accurate to the filming miniature you are looking to produce... roughing in the basic shapes and beveling the edges should get you pro-results.
    Thanks Mate, I am trying to get "close" to the ship as possible or fly by's and landings when I get that far in the modeling proccess. Maybe not the exact ship but close enough.
    Adding more details, I love the detailing part of any model.
    progress.jpg

Wire frame
    Progress2.jpg

Wire frame overlay
    progressOverlay.jpg
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    The way you're progressing with the form, your fly-by and landing videos should be solid! The hard part will be finding accurate sound-clips of that warbling engine noise from the fly-by and that shrieking whistle when they land or take off! :D
  • stephan_skastephan_ska171 Posts: 0Member
    Nice progress on your modeling skills ! Great to see those !
    S.
    Thank you man, Here is another update shot.

The landing bay is almost done, I gotta add the legs and its pretty much done.
    landingstruts.jpg
    What always trips me out is the mismatch between the interior flight deck set and the exterior appearance of the egg. If you look at the flight deck set, it's roomy in there. If you look at the external, it's squished into the aftmost fifth of the egg. So what's in that forward section? A hell of a lot of avionics? Life support? Trippy, dude.
    Jenny wrote: »
    What always trips me out is the mismatch between the interior flight deck set and the exterior appearance of the egg. If you look at the flight deck set, it's roomy in there. If you look at the external, it's squished into the aftmost fifth of the egg. So what's in that forward section? A hell of a lot of avionics? Life support? Trippy, dude.
    I watched the very first Epsiode of Space 1999 via Youtube and your right it doesn't look roomy.
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    The show suffers from the External vs. Internal set/scale issues common to many '60s and '70s shows. Heck, modern '90s and early '00s shows (I'm looking at you DS9 and your variable scale runabouts!!) have the problem as well.

Still, not bad for a company that a few years before were doing shows based on marionettes! :D

Keep up the excellent work!
    Thank you Y'all I'll get back to this ship after the Christmas holidays