Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DSedna-Class Starship

2»

• AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Dawnstar, Dawnstar..... Sry, thinking in Skyrim-terms...
    Looked it up, nice basis. Kinda reminds me to the first concepts of Ambassador that Probert made....
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    Yes, digging it. Would make for a fine model... Initial sketch produced the attached file. I think this flows a bit better; that angular 'secondary' hull gives it a clunky feeling that doesn't really fit the Galaxy family. IMHO, ofcourse...
    109789.jpg
    publiusr
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Wow, I actually like that a lot, BorgMan! I might actually also use that version... maybe have the saucer itself be what defines the Sedna, and have the secondary hull akin to the Nebula's equipment pods... meaning they can be swapped out for different models, depending on mission profile.
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    That could work. Mind you that I moved the bridge more up to that sceondary structure. Not sure if to keep it there, though...
  • bbeltbbelt0 Posts: 0Member
    The ship is looking nice there BolianAdmiral! The design does indeed look like something that you would actually see in the series. On an earlier post, you said you would like someone to do a basic 3d render; do you still need someone to do that?
    bbelt wrote: »
    The ship is looking nice there BolianAdmiral! The design does indeed look like something that you would actually see in the series. On an earlier post, you said you would like someone to do a basic 3d render; do you still need someone to do that?

Yes! If you are willing, I would be most appreciative! I just feel that if I see the basic form in 3D, it will give me a lot better understanding of how (or even IF) the design works, as-is, and which areas I need to adjust.
    Here are some renders of a quick model I made.

Shot1_12_1_15.png

TopView_12_1_15.png

BottomView_12_1_15.png

FrontView_12_1_15.png

BackView_12_1_15.png

I tried to incorporate all of the views you had drawn out and make guesses where it was difficult to tell how the ship would be modeled. Let me know if I need to make any changes or if you need a particular angle.
    109796.png109797.png109798.png109799.png109800.png
    Wow... thank you!!! That really helps! The only other angle I would need is a side profile. But seeing this really helps, since both the front and rear are in the same size, so it helps me scale things much better. Thank you, again!
    Thanks! Okay, now I can get a much clearer idea of how the secondary hull will end up looking, and just how much space it takes up on its own. Expect some new 2D updates from me soon!
    Started on the bottom again.

IMG_0488_1.gif
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    I think I'd shorten the pylons, bring the nacelles up closer to the bottom of the saucer.
    For some reason, that bottom view is giving me the Akira class vibe. Maybe it is because of the saucer and the angled pylons. Do you plan on doing a deck layout of the ship?
    I do. I think for the time being, I came up with a count of like 5 decks, but that will likely change. I may still adjust the bottom some more.

As for shortening the pylons, I don't think so... one, that would kind of bring the nacelles a bit too close, and also make the ship look "stubbier/squatter", when I was going for a more thin and wide/flat profile. Granted, she looks taller than I envisioned in the side profile.
    Okay... I think I have the top view of the Sedna finalized. All that it needs now, is cutouts for the impulse engines, and new bridge module.

top_final_sedna.jpg
    Okay, I finished the details on the top view, and increased the size of the bridge.

Untitled_11.png
    Hopefully, this old 1701-D model will become the Sedna soon.

sed_mod.jpg
    Looking pretty good there. For a ship that size, you may have a few to many lifeboats so you could remove some of them to fit in a few extra details. I am going to find it interesting to see you make a physical model of the ship.
    Yeah, I tend to agree she may have a few too many lifeboats. I'll see what I can do.
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    bbelt wrote: »
    Looking pretty good there. For a ship that size, you may have a few to many lifeboats so you could remove some of them to fit in a few extra details.

I agree with this. My recommendation would be to eliminate the eight hatches over the shuttlebay. Also, I really like the overall layout of this ship, but those torpedo launchers...

You could launch a shuttlecraft out of those they're so big and I'm still trying to figure out why you need three.

I'd definitely be interested to see how a physical model pans out. Good luck. :)
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Schimpfy wrote: »
    You could launch a shuttlecraft out of those they're so big and I'm still trying to figure out why you need three.

^^ That's how they launch the Vipers. :p

Also looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
    Guys... I think you are being a tad unfair about the size of the torpedo tubes, for a couple reasons... one, you need to remember that this is a SMALL ship... you can't go by how small the torp launchers look on a ship like the Enterprise-D... they are going to look bigger on a much smaller vessel. Think of something like the Defiant Pathfinder:

Defiant_Pathfinder01.jpg

Two, you need to also bear in mind, that all the WIP images you've seen so far, have been based on my original rough sketch. Once I have the form and details finalized, my final 2D orthos will be much more "in scale" with the various bits and pieces. I know that I am going to adjust the shape of the front saucer cutout a bit, so that is going to change, as well as other aspects.

Why three? IDK, lol... because I like three. :p
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Looks good so far, I'd say. Given the thickness of the phaser-strip, I'd say the tubes are about right....
    Okay, so it’s been a LONG time, but after kitbashing the Yeager, Curry, Tolstoy, Trieste, and Antares, I’m somewhat comfortable with revisiting the Sedna, my own design for a Wolf 359-era kitbash. I need to figure out how to approach the hull addition/extension. The two rectangular cutouts on the top saucer are meant to be inset window alcoves like on the Voyager.

8o5r1yr0nqzg.jpeg
    sva30mx1bmn0.jpeg
    jwespansj11s.jpeg

I probably should have made those alcove openings before I glued the saucer, but oh, well… live and learn. More pics tomorrow. This will likely be a VERY LONG TERM project, so don’t expect fast completion or daily updates.

Lizzy777
    Small update…

2xrdwnrih159.jpeg
    ec7humxcci8b.jpeg

Lizzy777publiusr