Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DNew Year, New Flags

BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
edited December 2015 in Finished Work #1
Well, it's a new year, so with that comes some fresh new flags. The first is an unknown flag inspired by a design I saw on deviantART. The second is my design for the flag of the Confederate States of America.

Flag_001.png

CSA_flag.png

More to come.
104385.png
104386.png
Post edited by BolianAdmiral on
Tagged:

• spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    as it happens soon i'm going to need to design some flags(or rather flag based tail markings) for my verse, can you give some tips on flag design.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    The first one is really cool. The Confederate one isn't bad, but it seems kinda boring to me. I just can't picture it on the roof of the General Lee. :p
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    as it happens soon i'm going to need to design some flags(or rather flag based tail markings) for my verse, can you give some tips on flag design.

Sure. Well, with flags proper, my philosophy tends to be keep things simple but bold. I tend to dislike flags that are very complex, or have a lot going on in them. IMO, a flag is like a quick advertisement for a nation/company/whatever... it has to convey a message about what it represents, some important aspect of the history behind it, and it has to be instantly recognizable as belonging to what it belongs to, even from a respectable distance.

When I design a flag, I tend to try to do all this as simply as I possibly can. Let's take the Confederate States flag as an example. As a starting point, we assume that since this is a flag for the CSA, that the CSA won the Civil War, and established itself as its own nation. This gives us a few ideas to run with for a flag design.

- One, the Civil War affected everyone on all sides of the conflict... much blood was spilled.

- Two, The CSA now stands alone, isolated from the North, with a great deal of "bad blood" between the two.

- Three, The CSA honors and respects its history.

Many people associate the Dixie flag with the Confederacy, but the first banner of the Confederacy was the Bonnie Blue Flag, and IMO, the CSA would want to pay homage to and recognize that history. So the main part of my CSA flag is the Bonnie Blue, surrounded by the colors of the Dixie flag. The single white star now represents both the unity of the CSA, and the fact that the CSA now also stands alone. The red of the Dixie flag surrounding the blue field represents both the colors of the Dixie flag and the blood shed on all sides during the war, as well as to some lesser degree, the "outside world" beyond the CSA.

So try to always respect and include the meaning of the flag or what the nation stands for in any flag design. Flags have to have meaning, or else they're nothing but pretty graphics.

evil_genius_180: Thanks, and no worries. :)
    My concept for a new Egyptian flag for if/when Morsi is restored to power.

Flag_002.png
    104414.png
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    nice work on the flags.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    thanks for those flag tipsp.s. funny how most of the flags in the arab world look very similar, same colours etc.
    iran, iraq, jordan,kuwait,libya(since their revolution),syria, sudan,UAE,western sahara
    ^

Yes. Red, white, green and black are known as the "Pan-Arab" colors. The meanings can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan-Arab_colors

Also, green is a very important color in Islam:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_in_Islam
    Yeah, just like blue, white red are generaly associated as Pan-Slavic colours. Or the Nodic Cross essentially is the base theme for all Scandinavian flags.

Generally, you can derivate a nation or national association by the symbolism of the used colours alone. Red, for instance is a symbol of blood, often referd to as Blood of Christ, thus a colour more common to Christian nation than to others, yet exceptions exist. Because red can also symbolise blodshed. Or as a general means of socio-political direction. red is blood, and the workers give their life-sweat (a.k.a. blood) into their work...
    Here's a new one... I decided to design a new flag for Dallas, Texas.

dallas1_sh.png
    105261.png
    That looks good. I had to look up what their current flag looks like on Wikipedia. All I knew were their pro football jerseys. :lol:
  • KenSchererKenScherer0 Posts: 0Member
    Greetings! It's nice to see someone take an interest in one of many flags. That green one is from one of my DeviantArt accounts: http://www.deviantart.com/art/Persoflag-389879175. I'm glad you like it :)
    It's nice to see that you like my flag. You are welcomed to comment on my art at http://kenscherer.deviantart.com/. I'm more than happy for you share my art with links to where you found it. That flag is at several locations, including . KenSchererDesign.png
    106557.png
    BTW, that green flag that BolianAdmiral said "is an unknown flag inspired by a design" he "saw on deviantART" is MY FLAG! BolianAdmiral didn't even modify the flag that he claims was "inspired" by my flag. BolianAdmiral shouldn't have taken ANY credit for the design of that green flag that he posted here on 17th Jan 2014, at 03:24! He posted MY FLAG, my exact flag, and falsely claims it is his design "inspired" by "an unknown flag"! It is not his design at all! It is my flag. If BolianAdmiral had simply credited me for MY ART, I wouldn't be angry with him. BolianAdmiral STOLE my art! BolianAdmiral claims that ONE OF MY FLAGS is a flag he designed "inspired" by one he saw on DeviantART. BolianAdmiral is a thief and a liar! FTR, with "Search Google for this image", it's much more difficult to claim someone else's images without getting caught. http://www.deviantart.com/art/Persoflag-389879175.
    Hello. That green flag that BolianAdmiral said "is an unknown flag inspired by a design" he "saw on deviantART" is MY FLAG! On 17th Jan 2014, at 03:24, BolianAdmiral posted MY FLAG, my exact flag, and falsely claimed it is his design "inspired" by "an unknown flag"! BolianAdmiral is a thief and a liar! Thanks to "Search Google for this image", it's much more difficult to steal someone's images without getting caught. http://www.deviantart.com/art/Persoflag-389879175.
    I wouldn't assume that BolianAdmiral is the creator of any of those flags. BolianAdmiral said that green flag with the 8-pointed tri-colored object on the white plate "is an unknown flag inspired by a design" he "saw on deviantART", but that "unknown flag" is MY FLAG! He didn't even bother to modify it at all! On 17th Jan 2014, at 03:24, BolianAdmiral posted MY FLAG, my exact flag, and falsely claimed it is his design "inspired" by "an unknown flag"! BolianAdmiral is a thief and a liar! Thanks to "Search Google for this image", it's much more difficult to steal someone's images without getting caught. http://www.deviantart.com/art/Persoflag-389879175.
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    Ken, you've made your point several times. Let it go and move on.
    Sorry, Jenny, I found that flag of mine being used by someone else on Facebook, too, and it really ticked me off! I came back here to see if BolianAdmiral had replied to my letting him know that I know he used and claimed my unaltered flag without my permission and without crediting me as the creator. The no replies got me mad and I decided to vent. I've vented and feel better. Thank you. Peace.
    Still haven't given me credit for the flag you said you created. Oh, well, I've gone from mad to amused. Leave it here, BolianAdmiral (bruceadama). It's kinda funny to show people that someone is claiming my unaltered art as his own. I was gonna send a cease and desist letter, but it's more interesting seeing how long you'll keep claiming my art as your own :)
    I've been where you are, Ken. I put credits on all of my work, yet I've found my images posted on sites with said credits removed a few times. I even recently found one of my renders posted (second hand) on TWO forums where somebody had copied part of my starfield over my images credits and put their own signature on there. I was just as pissed as you were, especially since my art is all 3D and it's easy to see that I made the image. However, I didn't join the forums and spam them to get my point across. On August 16, you posted 3 replies back-to-back, 4 minutes apart, with virtually the same text. Five in a row, if you count the two from August 3. That's uncalled for. I'm not at all defending what BolianAdmiral did. I have no idea if he intentionally plagiarized your work or if he simply found a design he liked, couldn't remember where on DeviantArt he found it and duplicated it. We don't know, because he hasn't logged on and told his side of things. However, your actions in repeating the same message over and over again aren't casting you in any better light on this forum than his actions, whatever they were.

If you find where somebody has used your work, you can post one reply in the thread and send that user a private message. If nothing has been done within a certain amount of time, report it to a moderator or site administrator.
    KenScherer, I have not been on this forum for a while, as you can see. I NEVER claimed the flag was MY creation... I stated originally that it was from DeviantArt... now that I know your name, I can credit you with it...

To everyone: The green flag is a recreation of KenScherer's flag, which I found on DeviantArt.

As for my other designs... if you have followed my threads, you know that some designs I keep the same, and some I create, or add my own twist to. And evil_genius_180 is absolutely correct... I simply saw your design, liked it, and decided to recreate it... I did not remember the username on DeviantArt that was associated with it... if I had remembered, I would have credited you from the start.
    Thank you, Bolian. My contention was your saying "The first is an unknown flag inspired by a design I saw on deviantART." I take the phrase "inspired by" to mean not exactly the same as. I sincerely appreciate you replying to my comments and for acknowledging that the green flag you posted is "a recreation" of my flag. Thank you. :)
    Thanks for your comments. I appreciate your advice about not spamming. Sure, I commented several times. I did "report" it and got no reply. Jenny telling me I've made my point was the only reply I got. The part that irritated me the most is his claiming "The first is an unknown flag inspired by a design I saw on deviantART." I disagree with your observation that my repeated request to be credited for my unaltered work of art casts me in the same light as the person who initially stated that the green flag he posted is "inspired by" (i.e., no the same) as one he saw on DeviantArt. Bolian has replied and posted that "The green flag is a recreation of KenScherer's flag, which I found on DeviantArt."
    KenScherer, I apologize for not wording my original post better. Like I said, now that I have the name to go with the original flag, I am more than happy to credit it to you. It is never my intention to steal, and in this case, it simply was honestly just a matter of my not remembering your username or name, and again, I apologize if it came across as looking like I stole your design. Hopefully there are no hard feelings... I will be more careful how I word things in future posts.
    Thanks, Bolian. I accept your apology, my friend, and all is good. I harbor no ill feeling towards you. BTW, I like your classic Batman avatar. If I could only have a collection of the Batman movies or a collection of the 1960's Batman TV show, I'd take the Adam West Batman series over any of the movies. Holy Friendship, Batman, Ken wants to be friends with Bolian! :)
    :D Thank you. I'm always happy to make new friends. I agree, that the Adam West Batman is my favorite, followed by Christian Bale's Dark Knight.

Getting things back on the topic of flags... here's something I whipped up and posted on my FB page. I figured I'd post it here, too... it's absolutely free for anyone to share and post anywhere they want.

meme.png

meme.png
    107098.png
    meme.png 167.3K
    xD Quite right....
    Whipped up this city limits sign of a town where a character from one of my stories lives.

stetson1.png
    A new one I recreated... the Japanese flag from "The Man in the High Castle" TV series.

japan_castle_aged.png