Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DSedna-Class Starship

BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
edited December 2015 in Work in Progress #1
Recently, I have had the desire to flesh out some of the New Federation Starfleet designs from my "Star Trek: United We Stand" fanfic. This is the first of the ships I've decided to work on - the Sedna-Class starship. This is just my first pass at the top profile, establishing the general shape and general placement of major details on the hull. She's a small border patrol scout, roughly the same size as a Springfield-Class starship.

sedna1.gif

The NCC number with the letter prefix is not an error... it is very much intentional, and there is a reason for it. All New Federation ships have an "A" prefix preceding the numeral, indicating that it belongs to the Andromedan, or "New" Federation.

As you can see, the Sedna is a very small vessel. I'm still working out the window and lifeboat placement for the upper saucer. The upper "hood" containing the bridge module and leading to the downswept warp pylons also acts as the "roof" to the secondary hull, which is tucked underneath it. You can see the shuttlebay poking out from below it at the rear. I am thinking most likely she won't have a full deflector dish, like on large starships, but will rather have the smaller lower saucer deflector array, like that on the saucer section of the Galaxy and Nebula-Class ships.
Post edited by BolianAdmiral on
Tagged:

• SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Interesting. I'm curious to see how you'll pull off the secondary hull, but the dorsal profile shows promise. For the deflector you could always spread the torpedo launchers out a bit and install a small dish in the area between them. It would be similar to my Lancer-class ship but you wouldn't have to make the dish anywhere near as large.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    I think I can picture the ships sideways appearance..... Lookng forward to see how accurate my assumptions were..
    Overall, the design looks quite nice.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Thanks, guys!

Yeah, the bottom profile will be a tad tricky. The side profile, I have a fairly clear image of what it should look like, but the bottom, or secondary hull, will be a bit of a challenge.

One thing I am thinking of doing, if I go with a full-sized deflector dish proper, is to have the secondary hull (from the side profile) taper up to merge with the saucer, and hide/enclose the deflector dish within a recessed alcove, similar to the Akira or Sovereign-Class ships. But in all honesty, I think I like the idea of the Galaxy/Nebula-style saucer deflector array best... not every ship has to have a huge deflector dish, and it would drive home how small a ship this is.
    Small update before work... I think I'm happy with the details on the top profile... I'm gonna call the top view done. Now on to the side.

sedna2.gif
    I think I have the rear profile worked out. Does it look okay to you all?

sednarear.gif
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    It does seem to match the top profile you've presented.
    Kinda feels realistic.... would've made the secondary hull a bit taller, tho..... Look at how tall the secondary hull on a galaxy looks from bow and stern.....
    One thing I think need help with at this point, is how to accurately depict this contour on the FRONT profile?

area.gif

I'm not convinced that I can draw it correctly. Can anyone kind of help me out in this area?
  • SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    From a structural standpoint, there appears to be a lot of stress points on those pylons, some of the kinks could be considered unnecessary. I'm not suggesting a major change, but if you were to smooth them out a little I'd expect the front profile to be easier to capture. (I'm also not a strict advocate of "function before form" when it comes to sci-fi, so feel free to disregard the above).
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    A lot of the Klingon ships have that sort of double-kink in their wing/pylons. Perhaps look at the D-7 and similar ships for some front profile ideas?
    Well the reason I'm unsure how to depict it, is because the top profile of the secondary hull is basically a wedge, but it's a wedge that is also sloped on both sides, where the pylons themselves are "straight", in the sense that they don't follow the angle of the wedge. IDK... maybe I kind of drew those contours wrong in the first place, on the top profile?
    Okay, I think I have a rough front view worked out. Obviously, not to scale. :p

sedna3.gif
    Yeah, that looks pretty realisitc and good. :)
  • XFozzbouteXFozzboute654 Posts: 1,627Member
    I like it.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I like it too. I've been following this but not commenting as of yet. I like the sort of blend of Galaxy and Akira classes. I like the solid center section, as opposed to the catamarans. I think the catamarans are too thin to be very practical, while the solid center section looks like it could be useful for important ship systems.
    Thanks. :D

Okay, folks... at this point, I am going to say I feel I NEED some 3D help here.

Would someone be willing to take all these views I have of the ship, and just do a VERY BASIC 3D model of the SHAPE of the ship itself... NO details... just the shape? I just need to be sure that this can or will work the way I have it laid out so far in 2D. Any help is appreciated.

sedna4.gif
    Someone on another forum pointed out the discrepancy between the aft and bottom views... how the bottom seems completely flat, compared to the aft, which shows an aft wall. My intention was to have it largely, flat, but with a VERY gentle, slope, like on the Springfield-Class.

scr_15_skinner8.jpg

In the meantime, I've started trying to clean up the top view a bit.

image.gif
    Small update before work.

image.gif
    Well, I am blessed to have such great friends... I never even asked, but a friend of mine from FB, Frederik Rick Reich, liked my little Sedna, and took it upon himself to do his own 2D of the top profile. I think he did a better job of it than me, lol.

12241535_10153782956172959_6285100112970103656_n.jpg

When he showed me his version, I saw what I had originally done wrong on my own pencil and paper sketch, with that fold/contour area I mentioned... there was no need to show the crease closest to the windows on the side walls of the secondary hull, as THAT part of the hull never folds... only the crease of the pylons proper folds, so I should have always had only ONE crease showing.

He's working on a final version that he'll share with me later, which will include the forward torpedo launchers.
    Here's the latest update, along with my new concept for the BOTTOM view.

12243479_10153783635012959_6815091943702389322_n.jpg

11990620_806684156108872_5881227662917187809_n.jpg
    Nice job on the bottom view. I was wondering what the bottom was going to look like.
    Well, I am blessed to have such great friends... I never even asked, but a friend of mine from FB, Frederik Rick Reich, liked my little Sedna, and took it upon himself to do his own 2D of the top profile. I think he did a better job of it than me, lol.

12241535_10153782956172959_6285100112970103656_n.jpg

When he showed me his version, I saw what I had originally done wrong on my own pencil and paper sketch, with that fold/contour area I mentioned... there was no need to show the crease closest to the windows on the side walls of the secondary hull, as THAT part of the hull never folds... only the crease of the pylons proper folds, so I should have always had only ONE crease showing.

He's working on a final version that he'll share with me later, which will include the forward torpedo launchers.

Not that your version wasn't looking good so far, but that's really hot. He did a great job on this.
    Overall, I'm really liking this. The only thing that ruins it, IMO, is those ginormous torpedo launchers and the fact that there are three of them on a ship of this size. Your bottom view looks really good although you may want to eliminate either the alcoves to the left and right of the cargo doors or ditch the cargo views. Right now there're going to be majorly conflicting spaces in that area.
    ^

Yeah, I have simplified the bottom view, which he has also started on. It might be revised even more. I will likely also scale down the torp launchers a bit, too.

12274590_10153785618362959_630180982444572480_n.jpg
    Okay... back to the drawing board, lol.

Frederik posted a size comparison of the ship based on the figure Atolm gave for her length, and it does NOT work at all... at the scale that was suggested (40 meters), the bridge would be about the size of the driver's seat of a bus, and there would be NO way I could realistically have or use a shuttlebay on a ship that small... so there were some severe scaling errors with the Sedna as she was originally conceived.

So, I am making a size change, and am also going to be making some changes to her bottom profile. She's still gonna be a VERY small ship... no larger than a Nova-Class ship. But she will be big enough for a shuttlebay to serve a purpose, and will be big enough to hold two, maybe even three Type-17 shuttlepods.

So, here is the start of the new saucer for the Sedna, complete with proper cutouts for the impulse engines. More to come soon.

sedna_2_0_1.gif
    Playing with an idea for the bottom. Also, don't worry... the hull cutout for the forward torpedo/probe launchers will be included soon.

sedna_2_0_2.gif
    I'm thinking that lower sensor setup is a bit too "primitive" to be effectively used with something from the Galaxy-class family. The impulse engines could be sized up considerably to better demonstrate the small size.
    I agree, it doesn't fit the era.
    Thanks for the feedback, folks. I, too, agree, it doesn't look that nice. Back to the drawing board, lol.
    If at all, such an "underdome" idea would fit a liner or tourist cruiser.... As some kind of massive lounge....
    Well, my original thinking for using the TMP-style feature like that was one, to give an alternative to the inset "alcove" windows, like on the underside of the 1701-D saucer, that would allow me a larger number of alcove windows within a much smaller amount of space, and two, to kind of link it with the Dawnstar-Class, since my original concept for the nacelles was a stubbier version of the Dawnstar's nacelle design.