Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSpringfield Class Starship in Blender

Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
edited February 2018 in Work in Progress #1
Okay. With the paint of my last project still drying in spacedock, I am looking around for my next fix... er, I mean my next build. I have decided to have a go at the Springfield Class. Mostly, because I already have constructed meshes of the other "Wold 359" ships, such as the Freedom, Cheyenne, and New Orleans Classes. After this build, the only Wolf 359 ship I would have left would be the Niagra Class, and I don't think I am ever going to go there... Blech.

On the other hand, I wasn't ever going to build the Springfield Class either... I had thought it sorta dull and flat looking. But I was perusing the schematics, and I think I'm starting to see its appeal. So... here we go...

I'm starting in with the basic shapes. I don't see anything very difficult, this should be a pretty simple build.

U1rdK7H.jpg

K1ilo8H.jpg

TBrHORU.jpg
112143.jpg
Post edited by Polaris 004 on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nice start. After this, you'll have all of the Galaxy kitbashes from that episode. :)
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    The Cheyenne class nacelles are frumpy... but they're also quite versatile. Looking forward to your project!
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    Nice start. After this, you'll have all of the Galaxy kitbashes from that episode. :)

Exactly. My life is going to be that much more awesome!
    Jenny wrote: »
    The Cheyenne class nacelles are frumpy... but they're also quite versatile. Looking forward to your project!

Thanks! I like the nacelle design too. They seem like they may be a slightly more basic design, something that can be deployed with less resources, but still might be very solid and effective?

I'm still working on the basic shapes. I think I like the secondary hull shape I have here. I'm putting it up against my New Orleans Class Saucer to give a better sense of the effect.

JiY63zO.jpg

SvXURrN.jpg

I did some work on the weapon pod and then realized that the sensor strip is blocked by the nacelles. D'OH! That will have to be changed.

g4BlEfD.jpg
    Depends on what you want to sense, I suppose.
    Looking great so far. :)

The Cheyenne and Springfield nacelles are highlighters. ;)
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    I don't think I've ever really looked to close at the Springfield-class. I like it. It's a simple design that could be quite elegant if the nacelles were closer to what the Galaxy-class used. Instead it just looks like a no nonsense ship that's economical and useful. :)

Would you be open to changing the registry on the underside of the saucer to place it within the arc of phaser array and maybe slim it down a bit?
    Schimpfy wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever really looked to close at the Springfield-class. I like it. It's a simple design that could be quite elegant if the nacelles were closer to what the Galaxy-class used. Instead it just looks like a no nonsense ship that's economical and useful. :)

Would you be open to changing the registry on the underside of the saucer to place it within the arc of phaser array and maybe slim it down a bit?

Yeah, that's how i think of this class already. Very simple, paired down, but economical to field. I think she may even be a Cargo Carrier or a Tanker. The pod system on the top or and bottom may have originally been designed for hauling modular pods about. The weapons and deflector pods were perhaps an afterthought for wartime mustering. I think that's what I am going to go with, because I don't have a tanker or cargo carrier mesh in the Galaxy family, and it would be nice to have one.

Yeah, when I build the actual saucer I will most likely make the regs at least a bit smaller. Also, the phaser placements will be rather different as well. Don't know exactly the placements yet, but that will be happening soon.
    Looking great so far. :)

The Cheyenne and Springfield nacelles are highlighters. ;)

Yeah, I used to make them look more like the original shape in the front, but I never did find a bussard collector design that looked good on the front of that shape, when taken literally. I saw someone of the boards use a configuration like this one and instantly wanted to monkey-do them that way myself. I don't remember who it was now, but I did get his permission.

Design and raw imnagination is not my strong suit. (Actually, when it comes to this hobby, I don't really have a strong suit.)
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    For a background ship, it's pretty cool. I like your build, it looks great. Kinda wish the ship had a proper secondary hull on the underside, though.
    She continues to evolve and take shape. I think I have the saucer and secondary hull shapes about where I want them.

tjbf4vS.png

j9e2QMb.png

0AmtYoI.png

516Lk2H.jpg

Not much to it. Now, I'll rebuild the nacelles and start in in the detailing.

I think I'm going to put a shuttlebay in the undercut of the secondary hull.

I think the deflector is going to be in the style of the secondary deflector on a Galaxy Class Saucer.
    It's looking great. Really nice work on the secondary hull.
    Making progress. Seems like I am on track so far.

Deflector grid, Phasers, Thusters, Bridge and Aztec.

sRIuAQR.jpg

Same beneath, all pretty standard stuff, by now.

BwdRVpK.jpg

These nacelles are complete rebuilds. They look nearly identical to the old nacelles, but the build is much cleaner and more controlled than the old nacelles.

18t6q6U.jpg
    Close up of the basic bridge Layout.

BZMi7HL.jpg
    Here's what I am thinking of for a shuttle bay. Placement makes sense, though It would mean that the non-pylon part of the secondary hull would be almost entirely a shuttle bay.
    You could always make the shuttlebay accessible from the underside of the saucer using something like the cargo doors on the Galaxy. As a matter of fact they could be dual use doors: Open them up and you could either stop off at one deck that's a shuttle bay or go up another deck to a cargo bay.
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Your skill evolved a lot!
    The mesh is looking Great!
    I find my momentum slowing on this mesh, as I am now to the part that requires me to make creative decisions. This is where I've come to:

SQg0l2l.jpg

Saucer windows are cut, made some improvements to the bridge area. Slimmed the wepons pod down along the z axis. I decided the whole thing is just going to be tucked down between the nacelles. The thing just looked too huge otherwise.

SRf7R2u.jpg
    Underside box windows are done. I am thinking about whether or not I want to put the slit windows in on the underside. Looks sorta plain without them, but I am sorta partial to only having the box type windows. Opinions?

WrWvzCU.jpg
    Weapon pod and connecting pylons are going to need a LOT more detail to sell them. Still thinking about the connecting pylons. I think they need to be thinner. And maybe a tripod configuration instead of four pylons.

Those red areas are going to be impulse engines. Not only for improved maneuverability; I have decided this whole pod will be capable of detaching and providing another vector of attack during battle. So I will want to make clear that it has its own power source. Still lots of detail to add.

But overall I'm pretty happy with my progress. I like this configuration much more now that I'm building her.
    It's looking really good. This has to be the toughest of the Wolf 359 ships to do because, to my knowledge, no good photos of the model exist. The best thing you have are one tiny pic and the HD screen caps and it's only a background ship, so it's still hard to see.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Slow and steady, very nice. Can't say I like the design much, but meh.... They needed some models for the Wolf-359 graveyard......
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    VERY nice! This is definitely my favorite of the Wolf 359 ships.
  • SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    I think it's looking pretty good so far, but you've got some challenging points ahead as you run out of "reference" and have to start thinking more creatively- I'm sure you'll get through this however. :)

As for the pod arrangement, rather than a tripod or "leg" approach, how about a "fin" style arrangement- for inspiration maybe consider the neck section of the 1701-A-era Enterprise, or the (slightly infamous) 3rd nacelle on the "future" Enterprise D. This way you'd have a sleeker overall design, and you could make a case for the pod actually being a modular, mission-specific addition with a universal attachment?
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."
    Samurai wrote: »
    As for the pod arrangement, rather than a tripod or "leg" approach, how about a "fin" style arrangement- for inspiration maybe consider the neck section of the 1701-A-era Enterprise, or the (slightly infamous) 3rd nacelle on the "future" Enterprise D. This way you'd have a sleeker overall design, and you could make a case for the pod actually being a modular, mission-specific addition with a universal attachment?

Oh, of course! I definitely want to go with something like that. Thanks!
    I was going to suggest something similar so I second everything that Samurai said. Great progress so far and I'm sure whatever artistic license you take will be fine...unless it's not and we'll all let you know. J/K :p
    Another alternative might be the "neck" of the Nebula-class with it's module pod......
    Aresius wrote: »
    Another alternative might be the "neck" of the Nebula-class with it's module pod......

That depends on which version you're considering. The Phoenix variant had that goofy looking dual pylon setup for the pod whereas the standard layout was pretty much the same setup as the pylon that was used on the Galaxy dreadnought.
    Aye, right, sorry, forgot about that darn Phoenix. No, i meant something along those lines:
    NebulaVariant2_USS_Bonchune01.jpg
    Thanks for all the ideas. I think I have the basic approaches worked out, and now it's just a matter of finishing all the details up.

8WEa0Gn.jpg
    I still have to add some details, but the weapon pod is definitely coming along.

0pLMxbs.jpg
    Here's what I went with for connecting pylons. I wanted something familiar but distinctive to this class, and I think I'm happy with my choice. It should detail up nicely.

ZOOde4e.jpg
    She looks really good from this angle.

7rNS9su.jpg
    One version of the original studio model had an additional deflector module connected to the saucer. It looked about like this. I like the idea of the additional module. It could be a configuration designed for personnel transport. But I do not care for the connectors, and I will be going a different direction.

1EeLJex.jpg
    In order to create that new module, I actually snagged my Galaxy Class secondary hull in an early step of its creation and then modified it. It really saved a bunch of work. That deflector dish is a bitch to get just so.

I have another project or two that is calling to me, and I may have to set this girl aside for a little while. But I'm really looking forward to finishing this mesh up...
    It's looking great. Nice and clean. I was wondering if you were going to do the version with the lower pod. That answers that. :)
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Looking great. And yes, those connection are rather ridiculous.
    Yeah, I don't like the lower module being connected that way, either. From a practical standpoint, it means that turbolifts, power and data connections et alia have to go all the way outboard before coming back inboard again. Seems impractical and potentially dangerous.
  • SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    Interesting idea, adding the secondary hull in to the overall design- I'm only passingly familiar with the "canon" design not being a consistent Trek fan, so the expanded concept is new to me. Those connectors look like a logistical nightmare however, and I'm struggling at this point to come up with an idea for linking those two sections together that isn't what you've gone with for the weapons pod (which looks great, by the way), or some kind of riff on the "tried and tested" neck arrangement. It has, however got me thinking about a bare-bones style primary hull & warp drives concept with modular hookpoints for cargo or mission-specific roles...
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."
    Okay, I've poked at the mesh a bit more, and perhaps now I might have the basic approach down. See what you guys think.

0pLMxbs.jpg
    First, here's the Base ship. Designated a cargo carrier, she has expanded capabilities via a modular system of attachment points, one dorsal and one ventral.

SRf7R2u.jpg
    Primarily responsible for delivering cargo and material goods, she can nonetheless be joined to several different modules suited to the transport of personnel.

wJ36jW5.jpg

Typically these modules are outfitted with impulse drive, and require the transport to merely tangent the system of delivery. A Springfield class vessel does not even need to drop out of warp, but can release the pod at warp speeds and allow the pod to naturally slow to impulse speeds as it leaves the warp field of the parent vessel. The pod can then proceed into the system under its own impulse power, minimizing the delay in the carrier's schedule.

bkfaDEm.jpg

3pEJXuZ.jpg

lQ5oFGg.jpg
    Numerous other pod options exist for any number of mission profiles. Very rarely, and under times of extreme need, she may even be outfitted with a weapon pod.

89QIH7G.jpg

HCELtvr.jpg
    Similarly outfitted with an independant impulse drive, this pod can be crewed, or serve as a weapon drone.

v4BD48D.jpg

wJ36jW5.jpg

e4Fw76m.jpg

lQ5oFGg.jpg

That's the gist of my approach, please let me know any objections. Otherwise I will probably finish up detailing her like this. I'm really pleased with the way she is turning out. I had not expected to fall in love with her lines the way I am. I think her profile is really pretty dang nice looking IIDSSM. :)