Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D2001 Discovery One

ShonnerShonner359 Posts: 83Member
edited August 2021 in Work in Progress #1
spi66z9a8yej.png

gnowmu54g0ap.png

A couple days ago, I started modeling the Discovery One.

shading5_post_1970.png

It's turning out easier than I thought. I have a few other shots over at http://shawndriscollcg.blogspot.com

109507.png

109471.png
Post edited by Shonner on
scifiericJES
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Great start on one of the best Sci-Fi ships of all time. :D
    scifieric
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    You are doing a really good job on modeling the Discovery from 2001 - A Space Odyssey. Absolutely love that film and the models in it still look totally functional today. Really looking forward to seeing how this progresses. Keep up the great work.

A few years ago, I modeled the Discovery, cockpit, pod bay and EVA pod. Put them all in a short animation in case you are interested in seeing it. YouTube really kind of screwed up on the snap shot used for the video. It really doesn't look so garish in the video.
    srspicerscifiericJES
  • ShonnerShonner359 Posts: 83Member
    Thanks. I've been using a model hanging in a museum for most of my reference. Some of it is mostly eyeballing.
    Last night I added the emergency airlock.
    airlock_paris.png
    109478.png
    xiaorobearscifiericJES
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    That is looking really good. Looks like a nice clean mesh.
    Yep, it's looking really good so far.
    Got some windows put in finally. And gave it some simple walls for the interior lights for now.

bridge_post_vintage.jpg
    109487.jpg
    scifiericJES
    Good stuff. :thumb:
    scifieric
    Thanks. I finally found some good photo references for the backside of the antenna. So I'm modeling that piece today. And I revised the windows for the fourth time.

Here is the draft of the antenna so far.
    Image1.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    109505.jpg109506.jpg
    JES
    Some renders. I may have the antenna the wrong size. I modeled it separately from the rest of the model. Different lenses give it different scale. These are 50mm shots.

antenna1_vintage.png

antenna2_vintage.png

antenna3_vintage.png

Still need to work on the ends. And add more detail to the back of the antenna.
    109507.png109508.png109509.png
    scifiericJES
    I don't know, it looks like it's about the right size. It looks great, just as the rest of the ship does so far.
    scifieric
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    I'd like to see variants of this ship.

Imagine one with tankage that attaches to the spine in a helix.

To me, this ship and Drax's space station from Moonraker--and the shuttle--all fit together visually. Moonraker One looks better next to Space Station V however.
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Oh man, this is one of my favorite ships of all time. You're doing her justice!
    A draft animation so far on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw7OiCDCOc4
  • HelotHelot391 Posts: 164Member
    Nice work!
    "My god ... it's full of ULTIMATE COOLNESS!" Isn't that the line from the movie? No? Well, it certainly applies to this model.
  • Judge DeathJudge Death0 Posts: 0Member
    Accolades to you for picking a classic vehicle and one that is still a p-retty 'hard science' vessel. You really have a task ahad of you as the original model and plans were destroyed by kubrick to keep the discovery from being used in any future cheap cheesy scifi movies, you know.

But since the original doesn't exist any more and all people have are the original film images they're all you have to match, so there's that. And you're doing a great job of that. :thumb:

Some discovery trivia for you. The ship was in some ways the first "technoorganic" design, as the command pod and the spar it was linked to were meant to look like a skull at the end of a spine reflecting how HAL essentially controlled the ship like a brain controlling a body.

BTW, don't forget that 2001 had some other cool ships like the earth/moon shuttle, the giant ball, remember?
    edited April 2020 #18
    BTW, don't forget that 2001 had some other cool ships like the earth/moon shuttle, the giant ball, remember?

Yes. Giant ball ships were very popular in the '60s. RPGs and wargames in the '70s borrowed from them a lot.

I'm working on the back end of the ship finally after getting a new video card, etc.
    P5ych0p4thxiaorobearLizzy777
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
    looking great so far, the lighting especially is great!
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Heck yeah. Finish this! :)
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Great work on a great ship! I know I had a pretty good time when I modeled the Aries.
  • gerb200gerb200176 Posts: 114Member
    This is amazing.
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    Stunning!
    Since seeing the 1/144 scale plastic models of this ship on YouTube recently, I'm motivated again to finish this model. This is the exaggerated back end of the Discovery One ship so far.

mwqay6db68uh.png
    Lizzy777scifieric
    edited July 2021 #25
    I still have details to add to the engine part. And there is more painting to do. But the ship is about 70% done so far.

oaqlfqq5t5hp.png
    Lizzy777scifiericpubliusr
    Beautiful work!
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Looks great
    edited July 2021 #28
    Thanks! Here's an engine lighting test in modo. Textures not painted yet.

5r2mautv29w6.png
    publiusrLizzy777scifieric
    edited July 2021 #29
    Here is a lighting test in Vue Infinite. Next is to start greebling the thing.

gnowmu54g0ap.png
    scifiericLizzy777
    Nice! Getting there!
    scifieric wrote: »
    Nice! Getting there!
    Thanks. Here's a lighting/shading test near orbit.
    spi66z9a8yej.png

scifiericLizzy777