Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Practical3D + 3D Printer + modding = Trekker X6 A 6 Wheel Drive Rover Platform for the Go Pro.

BigDBigD0 Posts: 0Member
edited November 2015 in Work in Progress #1
Hello everyone, I haven't posted in such a long time because I've been busy learning about robotics and 3d printer skills. So with no further a due Here is the project I am currently working on.

Most of the model belongs to thingiverse and the gentleman who originally designed it.

He gave me permission to remix the rover to my liking. ( My model )
Screen4_0001.jpg

His model in comparison. rendered in cinema 4d by me.
Screen3.jpg

&
Screen2.jpg

And then I've started on these little servos I am moding so they can turn 360.
DSCN2120.JPG

DSCN2122.JPG

The modded servo
DSCN2123.JPG
109629.jpg
Post edited by BigD on
Tagged:

• SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Why the extra set of struts on the bottom? They look like they'll serve no purpose whatsoever during any type of suspension articulation. The original model also looks like there's no way to steer any of the wheels...unless it's suppose to steer like a tracked vehicle. I do like the rover concept, though. What are your plans for it? Manned, remote or robotic?
  • BigDBigD0 Posts: 0Member
    Schimpfy wrote: »
    Why the extra set of struts on the bottom? They look like they'll serve no purpose whatsoever during any type of suspension articulation. The original model also looks like there's no way to steer any of the wheels...unless it's suppose to steer like a tracked vehicle. I do like the rover concept, though. What are your plans for it? Manned, remote or robotic?
    Thank you for the reply, The purpus of the extra strut is for Articulation, and I will be manning it with a wifi radio transmitter and it will be autonomous with a flip of the switch and GPS worked in.

It will be a Go Pro camera platform.
    Mechanically those extra struts won't do anything aside from move in the same arc as the lower control arms. There won't be any extension or retraction to them. Realistically you would only need one strut per wheel.
  • JanJaapJanJaap0 Posts: 0Member
    Mechanically those extra struts won't do anything aside from move in the same arc as the lower control arms. There won't be any extension or retraction to them. Realistically you would only need one strut per wheel.

Actually as far I can see it's a standard double wish bone suspension.

Unless you're talking about the bottom shock absorbers (coil thingies) then yes those are unnecessary.
    JanJaap wrote: »
    Actually as far I can see it's a standard double wish bone suspension.

Unless you're talking about the bottom shock absorbers (coil thingies) then yes those are unnecessary.
    I am not exactly sure what he means but I can tell you from my rc days you will need the double wishbone suspension.

Anyways I have updated my rover the eyes will be my eyes via the ipad mini and the go pro
    Screen5.jpg
    I was referring to the lower struts. Also, double wishbone suspension setups generally only utilize one shock absorber or strut per wheel. If you must have two struts per wheel they should share the same mounting points and be attached much further inboard to allow for better articulation and make room for the wheels to steer.
    I was referring to the lower struts. Also, double wishbone suspension setups generally only utilize one shock absorber or strut per wheel. If you must have two struts per wheel they should share the same mounting points and be attached much further inboard to allow for better articulation and make room for the wheels to steer.
    Thanks man, I Am not going add many shocks just 2 per wishbone setup as intended.

By the way this is a skid steer rover.
    Skid steer is a good way to go. Might I recommend either shortening the wheelbase or widening the track to aid in turning. A good example would be looking at a Bobcat skidsteer tractor from the top to get a good idea for proportionally placing the wheels. :)
    Skid steer is a good way to go. Might I recommend either shortening the wheelbase or widening the track to aid in turning. A good example would be looking at a Bobcat skidsteer tractor from the top to get a good idea for proportionally placing the wheels. :)
    I could do that and it wouldn't be a problem at all, Here is the orginal 4x4 skid steer rover the gentleman who let me remix his from.

When the error is fixed the link is here.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1024399
    Ah the radio has finally came and my printer should be here tomorrow or the following day.

Yes I had to send my printer in for repair and I shall be printing my parts soon :)

DSCN2127.JPG
    Hey gang, I've decided to do my own rover instead of printing someone else model.

Here is a few updates.

The Brains & Brains of the the rover.
    DSCN2130.JPG

The new design.
    Remix1.jpg

Where the eletronics go.
    Sample.jpg
    A little update, All these servo's are now 360 rotational hacked.

And the brains and brawn's are ready well all most ready to go into the body of the robot.
    DSCN2136.JPG
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Cool, good decision to go with your own design (Looks a bit like the old 70s/80s Big Trak toy, is that an intentional inspiration?).

Bigtrak.jpg

Looking forward to seeing how this develops. So you're sacking off the wishbone suspension set up completely then?
    109723.jpg
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    Cool, good decision to go with your own design (Looks a bit like the old 70s/80s Big Trak toy, is that an intentional inspiration?).

Bigtrak.jpg

Looking forward to seeing how this develops. So you're sacking off the wishbone suspension set up completely then?
    Yes sir, and thank you I have 2 other designs I will post tomorrow. Right now skynet my 3d printer doesn't want to work for me. "Yet again"
    Hey gang, I am post poning this build until I can gather more funds. and learn Ardunio a little more.

I will keep posting updates though.