Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

New Star Wars

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I don't hit the cinema very often myself, but I'll drag my butt in there for the new Star Wars. There are some things that are just worth it. I've seen every other SW movie on the big screen (thanks to the re-release of the originals in 1997) so I might as well keep up that tradition.

I think the last movie I saw in the cinema was part one of The Hobbit.

That bit about Rogue One sounds interesting. We could use some stuff from the Dark Time.

As for Battlefront, I just don't like arena games that well. I love games with a plot. Stuff like Knights of the Old Republic with its rich story is more my kind of game. When I do FPS, I like more story driven game play, like Dark Forces and Republic Commando. Those are good games.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    I never got into Republic Commando, I think I played the demo, but that was about it, might give it another look see. I hear you regarding arena based FPSs, but SW:Battlefront (more the first one than the second, found the second one a little disappointing for some reason, probably due to the half arsed [in my opinion] way they implemented space maps), and the Battlefield games in general are so much more than that. When you have the option to go in as infantry, armour or aircraft it really adds a dimension and level of depth that you don't get with a standard arena shooter, it tends to be more tactical and less run and gun, and gives you so many options on how to tackle a given situation, add to that the variables of how good your teammates are and how good the enemy team is and that stuff just never gets old. Add really well realised and immersive Star Wars atmosphere into that mix and you're really onto a winner. But to each their own.

Yeah, Rogue One does sound good, but if you like the idea of material set in that era check out the new trailer for the second season of Star Wars: Rebels, looks awesome.

http://www.starwars.com/video/star-wars-rebels-season-two-trailer
    I've played part of Repubic Commando. It was pretty cool, in my opinion.
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Rogue One does sound interesting. It sounds like the "Episodes" will stick to the Skywalker story, which is what Lucas has always said the movies are about, and Anthology will focus on other characters. There's supposed to be a Boba Fett movie in the works, if I recall correctly.

Still waiting for the first series of Rebels over here in the UK. It sounds a lot like CW, slow, kiddy-orientated start but gets darker. The trailer for the next series looks awesome. And then there's Batman V Superman trailer... so bland.
  • stfanboystfanboy67 Posts: 388Member
    I saw the Rogue teaser and it was great! Seeing the Death Star gave me all the warm fuzzes.
    "WE AIN'T FOUND S***!"

Evil, just in case you didn't know. ;)

qMvfc.png
    stfanboy wrote: »
    Evil, just in case you didn't know. ;)

qMvfc.png

Nope, didn't know that. Of course, NOW I see it. ;)
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    My theory is that the desert planet Jakku is actually Endor; the desert can be easily explained as climate-change from hell caused by a couple of crashed ISD's and an SSD :D
    Actually excited for this one; although there are a couple of moments that are definitely JJ-Trek-ish.
    I wish they'd given Chewie some greying fur; after all even wookies can age a bit over 30 years. That last scene with Han and Chewie, on the bridge of the Falcon, with blasters ready - awesome!

oh BTW:
    vzwwncrivma1mmuwha6q.jpg
    oh BTW:
    vzwwncrivma1mmuwha6q.jpg

Yeah, that figures. I guess that means the Sith Empire is Microsoft and the Hutt Cartel is Google. :lol:
    Here's the now almost traditional Star Wars Vanity Fair issue featuring a lot of exclusive photos, behind the scenes video and articles. Absolutely cracking on set photos by Annie Leibovitz.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/05/star-wars-force-awakens-photos

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/05/jj-abrams-star-wars-extended-interview

Shot highlights include an unmasked Kylo Ren, a full shot of Captain Phasma, a shot of Poe Dameron with his trusty X-Wing, and a menagerie of dodgy looking aliens amongst others. Well worth a read and a gander.
    Man, I hope the movie is as awesome as those photos. I especially love the ones with all of the aliens. As much as I love CGI, some stuff is still better done with actors in costumes interacting with actual sets and objects. That's one thing I like about JJ Abrams, if he can do it in camera he will. That's as opposed to George Lucas, who will do everything he can with CGI.
    Off on a tangent a bit, but very cool. We have our first X-Wing to make it into space, check out the vid.

If nothing else you now have good reference for what an X-Wing actually does look like in space, you can see how close to real the movies got it.

:D
    Interesting experiment. I'm amazed at how well the X-Wing survived the crash. Though, a plastic model that's not even light blocked is hardly a true representation of how a metal ship would look in space. :p But, I still like it. Thanks for sharing.
    Here's a shot of Captain Phasma, and a couple of other shots from the Vanity Fair Star Wars shoot, as well as an extra unpublished shot of Andy Serkis in his now familiar mo-cap get up, but though we don't get to see what his digital character will look like yet, we do get a name. Supreme Leader Snoke, who we're assuming is the leader of The First Order which seems to be the name for what the EU would call The Imperial Remnant. All this can be found in a new article on the subject on Starwars.com.

http://www.starwars.com/news/capturing-a-galaxy-an-interview-with-annie-leibovitz-exclusive

Andy-Serkis-Snoke.jpg

5543ca9edb753b82389cbdf2_vanity-fair-star-wars-05.jpg

5543ca96801ffcbc36b34188_vanity-fair-star-wars-01.jpg

5543ca96db753b82389cbd9a_vanity-fair-star-wars-02.jpg

5543ca9adb753b82389cbdc6_vanity-fair-star-wars-03.jpg

Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens-Vanity-Fair-John-Boyega-Daisy-Ridley-Harrison-Ford.jpg

5543ca9e801ffcbc36b341db_vanity-fair-star-wars-06.jpg
  • DarkSapiensDarkSapiens174 Posts: 0Member
    New promo for the one-hour season two premiere of Rebels, The Siege Of Lothal!

It contains more space action, and more shots of the Ralph McQuarrie inspired A-wings!

Also, a lot of people have been noticing references throughout season one to the Base Delta Zero initiative, which involves the orbital bombardment of a planet to exterminate its population. We were starting to suspect that the planet where the rebels had been performing most of their activities in the show might suffer an attack of this caliber as a consequence, and here's an article detailing such concerns (or hopes): http://eleven-thirtyeight.com/2015/02/base-delta-fulcrum-the-lothal-conspiracy-theory/

Well, I don't know if I've been primed by these previous suspicions but I think this promo, together with the season 2 trailer, has even more hints to at least the threat of it happening in the show. We'll see!
    This is quite a good one too, focusing on the return of Ahsoka.

Roll on June 20th, or whatever date we'll be getting it here in the UK.

:thumb:
    And here's one showing concept art for the Rebel ships and troops to be seen in the season, including more A-wing greatness:
    Well the E3 gameplay trailers for Star Wars Battlefront are out and they're pretty damned awesome, check 'em out below:

I have to admit it was a bittersweet moment for me to see the gameplay for this finally. With our hard work on the Star Wars Battlefield 2142 mod First Strike I could see a lot of it in what was on show here, though obviously done a lot better than our non-profit efforts, but this in part was what we aimed to do with First Strike, fill that gap which was left empty by the last Star Wars Battlefront game and improve on that and bring it more into line with gritty Battlefield style gameplay, and also show EA and DICE that there was a market for this game (as if that was ever in doubt :p ), and encourage them in some small part in our efforts on First Strike to actually get in there and do a Battlefield engine and gameplay style based Star Wars game. Now that has happened and we can hang up our blasters and enjoy this game when it comes out like the millions of other fans out there who'll be chomping at the bit for this.

With the first video above (Co-Op Gameplay) I was very impressed with the feel and authenticity of the thing, a Tatooine based survival mode where a small Rebel group having escaped the Empire's clutches via escape pod from a captured Corellian Corvette (Rebel Blockade Runner) in orbit which is then blown to pieces by an Imperial Star Destroyer in the opening moments of the sequence. Is it Princess Leia's Tantive IV? Or another Rebel ship suffering a similar fate to that titular ship? It matters not, the scene is set and the circumstances feel authentic. Imperial forces are sent down from orbit to quash the Rebel survivors and all hell breaks loose as the Rebels must face wave after wave of increasingly more difficult foes until Rebel reinforcement space forces can arrive.

From a technical standpoint the graphics look lush, the hardware once again authentic looking with the Rebels packing A280s and DH-17 blasters from what I could tell, with different styles of firing for each. Weapon overheat was a visible gameplay factor with a Rebel needing to melee attack a Stormtrooper due to his blaster overheating. Both Rebel and Imperial forces had jetpack equipped classes which looked fun, and then there were other battlefield perks such as orbital strikes, heavy weapon pick-ups, etc. Weapons looked to have that standard console crosshair and aim assist type of thing going on, but the action looked good. I also liked the pods being sent down for the Rebels to capture and defend like dynamic flags. First Strike style withering fire seemed to have found it's way into the gameplay as Rebels were firing all weapons at the AT-ST Walkers when they eventually turned up, and one appeared to erupt on being hit by DH-17 blasterfire, unless the player happened to be firing at the target as an orbital strike took out the Walker, which is entirely possible. Whichever the case, on the strength of this gameplay footage I was quietly optimistic.

Then came the multiplayer game play footage. This was based entirely on a Hoth AT-AT Walker Assault Mode map. This one had the biggest sting in the tail for me as I had been working on a First Strike version of The Battle of Hoth as things all went to pot with EA cancelling support for their older games essentially rendering BF2142 obsolete and ringing the death knell for First Strike, but to be fair it was on it's way out long before then, and we had had Hoth in development on the back burner for some years, but on seeing their version of the Echo Base corridors and then hangar I was elated, but also seeing how strikingly similar it was to mine (well it would be they're both based on the same location and reference after all) quite gutted we didn't manage to get our version out to the public. It mattered not though, this was going to be awesome.

Then you get outside and you see TIE Fighters and X-Wings buzzing around and my heart sank. They have fallen for the same trap that I found the original Star Wars Battlefront ran foul of. Taking key battle locations and then just sacrificing authenticity for a larger canvas of gameplay. Personally if I'm playing The Battle of Hoth I want it to be as close to the movies as possible. Sure the sequence isn't going to be identical to the movie version, as gameplay obviously plays a part, but if you make such radical departures from the source material what is the point? On a Hoth battle map I want Imperial Walkers, Rebel Snowspeeders and perhaps logical extensions and embellishments so that the battle is essentially still the same in feel and authentic, but broadened out to see more of what went on than we see in the movies. So perhaps Snowtroopers on Speederbikes performing recon missions or striking outlying Rebel Outposts, perhaps Imperial Probe Droids taking a more offensive role in the battle itself. All things that could be happening while the main meat and potatoes of the battle is going on between Walkers and Snowspeeders. It would still feel authentic and just appear to be elements of the battle that we didn't see but were happening just beyond our vision in the movie. Slapping X-Wings and TIE Fighters all over it just might as well have shat all over it as far as I'm concerned. It is no longer The Battle of Hoth, but something else entirely. And don't get me started on the heroes/villains showing up at the end. I thought their inclusion ruined the last Star Wars Battlefront game, and they appear to have done the same here. Heck, they don't even have Luke wearing the appropriate gear for the time period the battle takes place in, with him wearing his Return of the Jedi style Jedi gear. Well at least they haven't gone the way of some earlier Star Wars games and gone and given the TIE Fighters missiles to balance them out against the X-Wings (touch wood).

:rolleyes:

It almost made me want to continue with FS and bring out our vision of The Battle of Hoth via the Unreal 4 Star Wars mod that FS has merged with, and this could still happen, as every moment of that gameplay trailer I watched, for every good bit there was something that made me flinch and think how I'd have done that differently. I just don't understand what DICE are playing at here, they're harping on about going to the Lucasfilm Archives and getting all the research in to achieve an as great level of authenticity as possible, which visually and through sound design they certainly have done, but then throw that authenticity to the wind when it comes to the level design and gameplay. It is almost like someone went to all the trouble of recreating the Mona Lisa perfectly down to the cellular level, and then painting a big red nose and happy face over it or something. What gives?

I hope that maybe this is only one mode that is available on this map and that there maybe a more authentic truer to the movie gamemode that can be played, or EA and DICE are going to have a lot of unhappy punters on their hands. Who am I kidding though? It looks gorgeous, and it is Star Wars, people (myself included begrudgingly) are going to lap it up, plus the earlier Star Wars Battlefront had this issue playing free and loose with the lore of the locations featured in their maps, so why would this one be any different? I just hoped with this focus on authenticity and painstaking efforts to achieve movie like accuracy with their assets and locations that this new Battlefront would manage to avoid it.

So conflicted, want it bad, but hope it won't be as bad as I fear it might be. I think it'll be very good, but that there will be little niggly things that are going to annoy the hell out of me and drive me nuts.

:rant: :nono: :mad: :notworthy::eek!::notworthy::mad: :nono: :rant:

Like I said, conflicted....

:lol:
    I think they ended up going for high accuracy on the equipment, props and the look of the locations, but not the events themselves. I read someone quote this on Twitter: "...40 multiplayer battles reminiscent of The Battle of Hoth." But not the actual "Battle of Hoth", I guess.

Not that I'll ever own this game, but what worries me is that being able as a player to do the exact same things in every environment (based on the Endor trailer they released a while ago), the locations themselves, that they took so much effort to reproduce with huge accuracy, won't matter at all because the gameplay won't vary. No matter the planet or the event referenced, it looks like you'll have AT-STs, AT-ATs, air support from Y-Wings, etc. Maybe you don't have X-Wings and TIE fighters on Endor because of the trees. Maybe Sullust has places where the floor is literally lava that you have to avoid. Who knows. We'll see :)

But I do hope you finish First Strike, though! A proper battle of Hoth with the interior of the base properly done and referenced will be something many people would like to see!
    I'm sure somewhere they said the maps would feature modes that were specific to the location, but it doesn't look that way from what is on show. Hopefully more modes will surface which will put our fears to rest.

With First Strike, this may still happen in some form, it is just having the time and inclination now. It is heartening to hear that even with this on the horizon there is still at least some interest in FS. We'll have to see what I can get up to over the summer.
    I never really liked Battlefront. I have the first one, I find it boring. Capture the flag is basically all it ever was to me. Fortunately, I got it in a collection and I like a few other games in the collection, so no big loss. However, the graphics in that series have always been really nice. The graphics in those game play trailers are freaking amazing. Photo realistic. Not enough to make me want to buy the game, but they're freaking amazing. Besides, I don't have a PS4 or XBOX One and the PC version is likely to be Windows only, so I wouldn't buy it anyway.

Though, nitpicky moment: Aside from wearing the wrong outfit and having the incorrect lightsaber, (as TALON_UK pointed out) shouldn't Luke also be pretty cold in that getup? Last time I checked, The Force didn't protect you from freezing temperatures. :p I mean, it may to a certain extent, but he'd need to focus part of his Force powers on not freezing his butt off, not allowing him to put everything he's got into battling Vader.
    What I think made the first Battlefront so special to me was the fact it was the first multiplayer game where I played it seriously as part of a clan, so competitive play, full teamwork, tactics and communication over comms. Totally elevated the admittedly fairly shallow and arcadey gameplay to a completely different level. I miss those days, would be great to get it back for this. I mean sure I play multiplayer over Xbox Live and might occasionally join the coms channel of the squad I'm playing with and even add them to my friends list, but it's not the same as actually working with someone on and off the field to hone the unit's skills in combat and really working together with specific roles for each team/squad member. Ahh, those were the days, and the fact it was Star Wars just made it all the sweeter.

:cool:
    So… The Siege of Lothal was amazing.

And among the concept art there are things that haven't been in the show yet, like this one:
    reb_ca_998_46_f145fb2a.jpeg

Does anyone here want to model the Ghost? Would be cool to be able to use it in some renders… :D
    Wait, A-Wings in the Pre-Galactic Civil War era? :rolleyes: I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Since they torpedoed SW "canon" so that they didn't have to follow what they didn't want to, it stands to reason that they'll do whatever the hell they want now.

For those who don't know, the A-Wings were originally designed by the Rebel Alliance during the Galactic Civil War. However, Rebels takes place a number of years prior to there actually being a war.

I've thought about modeling the Ghost, but first I need to find a suitable replacement for Lightwave that runs in Linux. I don't want to have to install Windows just for one freaking program.
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Wait, A-Wings in the Pre-Galactic Civil War era? :rolleyes: I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Since they torpedoed SW "canon" so that they didn't have to follow what they didn't want to, it stands to reason that they'll do whatever the hell they want now.

For those who don't know, the A-Wings were originally designed by the Rebel Alliance during the Galactic Civil War. However, Rebels takes place a number of years prior to there actually being a war.

I've thought about modeling the Ghost, but first I need to find a suitable replacement for Lightwave that runs in Linux. I don't want to have to install Windows just for one freaking program.

I really want to see fractalsponge model it. :D
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    oldmangreg wrote: »
    I really want to see fractalsponge model it. :D

He might be open to requests. Send him a PM. ;)

Of course, if he does it, it will put the one on the show ot shame. :D
    Aren't they supposed to be some form of proto-A-Wing based on Ralph McQuarrie's designs rather than the final versions we see in ROTJ, though I have to admit that is a tenuous distinction at best. Not liking the fact that the season trailer shows a prototype B-Wing in there either. Maybe they'll have some viable explanation like the Rebel Alliance engineers finalise the designs or something.

Don't think the new season has aired here in the UK yet, at least I couldn't see it listed anywhere.

They could be the proto A-Wings, but that's not much of a distinction, as you said. I think they're just ignoring everything not listed as new canon, which is what you'd expect. I was sure when they did it this was the reason for "Trekking" Star Wars by deciding what did and didn't fit into "official" canon. :rolleyes:

Yeah, A-Wings and B-Wings definitely should not exist this early. But, what can you do? Disney has a long history of not staying true to source material, and this is just the latest example. They're probably trying to excite casual fans by dropping in familiar vessels, whether or not they should exist then.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    IIRC, A-Wings and B-Wings are only invented by the Rebels in the EU. In the movies they are just fighters. In the Prequel movies, there are ships that somewhat resemble the A-Wings and X-Wings.
    Yeah, I know that sort of detail is purely EU based and Disney can do whatever they want now, but you'd hope they'd not just change every detail for the sake of it.
    IIRC, A-Wings and B-Wings are only invented by the Rebels in the EU. In the movies they are just fighters. In the Prequel movies, there are ships that somewhat resemble the A-Wings and X-Wings.
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    Yeah, I know that sort of detail is purely EU based and Disney can do whatever they want now, but you'd hope they'd not just change every detail for the sake of it.

Yes, and YES. ;)

I agree with TALON, I hope they don't change everything just for the sake of it. Let some stuff stand the way it was.