Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3ds max object count (awful performance)

SovereignSovereign171 Posts: 0Member
Hi,

I've found at least one reference to an apparently-ongoing problem with 3ds max. Mainly, too many objects in one scene (regardless of polycount) makes the whole app bog down and has for years. I'm using 2016 but again, from what I've seen this inability to handle scenes with lots of items has been an issue for a long time.

What techniques do people use to fight this, especially with ships covered in greebles? I'm thinking of booleaning the instanced plating to a raft so it's only technically six objects, but there are still myriad gun turrets, windows, etc.

Thanks!
Post edited by Sovereign on
Tagged:

• wjasperswjaspers332 Posts: 0Member
    Xref files?
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    Here's a dumb question.

Have you checked with the Autodesk forums? The forums are occasionally, accidentally helpful. Sometimes the local Autodesk distributor ("Autodesk Partner") can make themselves useful as well.
  • SovereignSovereign171 Posts: 0Member
    wjaspers wrote: »
    Xref files?

Xrefs still count toward that "too many things at once" even though they're outside the main file. It's total count in-scene, not in-file.
    rojren wrote: »
    Here's a dumb question.

Have you checked with the Autodesk forums? The forums are occasionally, accidentally helpful. Sometimes the local Autodesk distributor ("Autodesk Partner") can make themselves useful as well.

The link in my first post is basically what I found repeated through the forums. If it's not insufficient hardware (which in my case it isn't) it's generally too many objects. 14k makes it into a slideshow as well.

So far, I've settled on "boolean everything in Rhino first" since hull plating can produce huge numbers of little details. Even though the polycount isn't high (1.1m per slab of plating) the number of little squares, rectangles, and other shapes was. Looks like there isn't really a trick--just "make fewer objects." Seems like object count > polycount when it comes to performance. Even with a 4.4GHz i7 2600k and 32GB RAM.

I guess I'll show myself out.

Thanks anyway!
  • wjasperswjaspers332 Posts: 0Member
    Oh okay now I understand you saying :)

Why TF do have so many objects in your scene?
    You can have a ship covered in guns/greebles/windows, and still have one object. Just attach everything that not needs to move independent from eachother.