Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

PracticalForce Awakens Falcon 1:144

PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
edited September 2015 in Work in Progress #1
I swore my next model build would not be Star Wars themed because my last 4 have been...heh. Was gonna do some Iron Man or Trek. But J.J. dropped that teaser and I got the Falcon bug. This is going to be an out of box build, except for the modification to the dish and paint job to make it the Episode 7 Falcon.

Here we go...

wv6pePZ.jpg
108644.jpg
Post edited by PixelMagic on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I do that all the time with my CGI builds. I'm like: "My next build won't be Trek." But, then it usually winds up being Trek. ;)

I'm looking forward to this build, as I usually do with your builds. However, perhaps a bit more so because the Falcon is so freaking cool. :D
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    What a piece of junk! :D
    She'll make .5 past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts.
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    Got the top and bottom primed and painted with a base coat color. The base color is 4 parts Tamiya XF-2 Flat White and 1 part Tamiya Deck Tan XF-55.

5GzYGmS.jpg
    Nice. The color looks good.
    Small update for now. The Fine Molds 1:144 Falcon is known to have an inaccurately shaped window frame and nose cone on the cockpit. There is a guy on Shapeways that sells 3d printed accurizing parts for the Falcon.

I ordered the cabin cone here...

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZFX7BCAB8/millennium-fm-1-144-cabin-cone?li=search-results-1&optionId=43304415

I also have on order the new rectangular radar dish to make it the Episode 7 Falcon, but it hasn't been sent to me yet.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZL9JMT3F9/millennium-fm-1-144-quad-radar-episode-vii?li=search-results-1&optionId=43511888

However, I did receive the cockpit cone today, and it's AWESOME! I've never used a 3d printed part before, it's so cool. It does have an EVER SO SLIGHT texture from the 3D printing process, but I'll knock that down with 600-1000 grit sandpaper and it will be perfect. No problem at all, so don't worry about the texture if you want to order one, it's barely even there.

Here is how it looks on the kit, it's a perfect fit...

pRo8iA9.jpg

I will post a picture of the rectangular Episode 7 radar dish when I get it.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    That is a very cool use of 3d printing, producing custom and improved parts for existing model kits.
    Yep, very cool. It's amazing what modern technology can do. The cockpit looks great, and so does that dish, based on the images on the store page.
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    Yep, very cool. It's amazing what modern technology can do. The cockpit looks great, and so does that dish, based on the images on the store page.

looks like this kit retains the fault present on the larger Fine Molds Falcon, where the mandibles inside edges run parallel instead of tapering like they do on the studio model. Are you going to correct that? I can't believe they missed that detail, its so obvious the mandibles taper if you look at any photos of the studio model.
    looks like this kit retains the fault present on the larger Fine Molds Falcon, where the mandibles inside edges run parallel instead of tapering like they do on the studio model. Are you going to correct that? I can't believe they missed that detail, its so obvious the mandibles taper if you look at any photos of the studio model.

I am aware of the mandible issue, but I just really don't want to fix it. It's a major pain to restore them to their proper angle. I am holding out hope that Bandai will (almost certainly) release a kit of the Millennium Falcon at some point that will have accurate mandible toe in and other details.
  • BigDBigD0 Posts: 0Member
    Thank you for the link, Now I don't have to buy my 3d printer.
  • HelotHelot391 Posts: 164Member
    Great idea using the Shapeways posted part! I've seen a number of replacement parts for the Falcon on the site. Nice to see one in use (can't wait to see the dish).
    Helot wrote: »
    Great idea using the Shapeways posted part! I've seen a number of replacement parts for the Falcon on the site. Nice to see one in use (can't wait to see the dish).

The dish and engine parts should arrive in the mail tomorrow. I'll post pics when I get them.
    So my 3D parts came in today. Pretty awesome pieces! The engine nozzles especially. They are tiny but well detailed. The engine grill replacement will also keep me from having to drill out all the holes in the kit piece.

3D printed grill on the left, kit grill on the right. Engine nozzles below.
    YBXra2d.jpg

The Episode 7 dish also arrived with the same shipment. This piece is also awesome, but unfortunately they accidentally sent me the 1/72nd scale dish instead of the 1:144 scale dish. It's huge compared to the Falcon. :D

rMv5uqN.jpg
    LAllpDz.jpg

The reason the Falcon hull looks like it does is because I had a problem with the paint job and had to strip back down to plastic.
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    I haven't done a physical model in years. I have a bunch of Trek models still in the boxes in my closet. Great start.
  • bosunbosun62 Posts: 0Member
    Han's gonna get great reception with that dish. :o
    The parts look great. Too bad about the scale issue, but it certainly looks like an awesome dish.
    bosun wrote: »

I was thinking something along those lines too. :lol: Though, he definitely needs to not let Lando borrow that one.
    bosun wrote: »

Heh. I fixed the order and have the properly scaled dish coming my way in a couple of weeks. I'll build the rest of the Falcon in the mean time, and probably put the dish on last. :)
    Been a while since an update, because I had a set back which required a strip down to plastic and complete repaint. But we are back in business now.

Firstly, I revised the base color on the respray. This time, the base color is 5 parts Tamiya XF-2 Flat White and 1 part Tamiya Deck Tan XF-55. Last time it was 4 parts white.

I have also begun painting the red panels, as well as the darker panels around the turret portholes.

k9D5QG5.jpg

I also light blocked the 3D printed engine grill as well as gave it the same hull color.

v2RZCej.jpg

Also painted the cockpit, but there wasn't really much to it.

sk8dBUB.jpg
    Looking great. :)
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Keep the oversized dish just in case you want to make a chibi version of the ship!

chibi-trouble.jpg?w=640
    Hull painting is done. Time to dirty it up.

JykcqQw.jpg
    Yeah, dirty it up. :D

The paneling looks fantastic. :thumb:
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    It definitely looks good. Though a Falcon without the dirt just seems somehow strange and wrong.
    Finished painting the cockpit interior as well as the 3D printed cockpit cone. I really like how it looks. Plus a couple of overall shots. I've done minimal weathering already. Time to start applying the heavy weathering.

UN7fhQv.jpg

EiLqrUW.jpg

YPKeetn.jpg
    The cockpit looks sweet. The ship overall is looking great. :thumb:
  • BigDBigD0 Posts: 0Member
    damn this thing is looking sweet...
    Weathering has begun.

B9buz0Y.jpg?1
    Great stuff. Make it good and dirty. :D
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah, looking good, nice start to the grunge.