Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Episode 7 Trailer 2 - Is that an SSD in your dune, or are you just pleased to see me?

BarricadeBarricade198 Posts: 180Member
edited May 2015 in General Discussion #1
Mod Note: Just a quick FYI, that these posts have been split out from Fractals WIP thread to keep things relevant in there. Good discussion here, but more appropriate to GD. Thanks all. :)

On that note, has anyone realized that the wreck the Falcon flies into, is the upside remains of an Executor class?

I -only- noticed it, due to keeping an eye on Fractal's artwork, and one of his shots of a SSD showing the thruster setup is basically that same angle, if flipped.
Post edited by Barricade on
Tagged:

• TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Barricade wrote: »
    On that note, has anyone realized that the wreck the Falcon flies into, is the upside remains of an Executor class?

I -only- noticed it, due to keeping an eye on Fractal's artwork, and one of his shots of a SSD showing the thruster setup is basically that same angle, if flipped.

Yup.

;)

VV

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?81514-New-Star-Wars/page2
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Barricade wrote: »

Eh....I'm not convinced. It's possible and not a lot to go on in that trailer, but the SSD has an engine configuration of 3-2-3-2-3 - like this - ooo oo OOO oo ooo. That trailer shows three engines in the middle and then three on the side and no others visible. Could certainly be a perspectives/angle thing but it's not conclusive to my eyes. I'm not sure of any better candidates though. Can't picture any ships with a 3-3-3 engine configuration...
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Comco wrote: »
    Eh....I'm not convinced. It's possible and not a lot to go on in that trailer, but the SSD has an engine configuration of 3-2-3-2-3 - like this - ooo oo OOO oo ooo. That trailer shows three engines in the middle and then three on the side and no others visible. Could certainly be a perspectives/angle thing but it's not conclusive to my eyes. I'm not sure of any better candidates though. Can't picture any ships with a 3-3-3 engine configuration...

"Now, don't get jittery, Comco. There're a lotta Command Ships."

Seriously, it could easily be another star dreadnaught type ship, one that we've never seen before (and likely won't see in full until 'sponge is hired again to fill in the blanks ;) ). I for one am happy either way.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    So cool. I guess it could be an Executor, i'd be more convinced if the planet in question was Endor. Although given the current state of the crashed starships, it may very well be Endor.
  • fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    grifxo wrote: »
    what do you think of this badboy? i love the hull stabbing out in the forward section.

I don't love it, but I don't hate it. Reserving judgment until we see the whole thing. It is very derivative, and that's a GOOD thing.

Though, to be honest, it was never going to be as cool as Devastator and Avenger, I'll take it. Too bad they didn't have me model it, could've saved them a lot of money :D
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Looks like it has been damaged or something and then customised, the basic shape looks to be exactly like a standard ISD and then with additional bits added in some places like that section sticking out of the front, but also with some bits missing, looks like they've lost the command/conning tower and had to find a smaller replacement. Be interesting to see if there are other custom/ugly (like those starfighter custom models patched together from disparate ship components) ISDs out there.
  • stfanboystfanboy67 Posts: 388Member
    Comco wrote: »

Sorry I'm late to the party but I'm thinking it is a Executor Class or a slightly modified version. The angle could be off a little. Here is something I quickly came up with at work. The only thing I see different are the engine nozzles. It is very close.

fzV7CIt.jpg

Full res.
    http://i.imgur.com/fzV7CIt.jpg
  • grifxogrifxo0 Posts: 0Member
    stfanboy wrote: »
    Sorry I'm late to the party but I'm thinking it is a Executor Class or a slightly modified version. The angle could be off a little. Here is something I quickly came up with at work. The only thing I see different is the engine nozzles. It is very close.

fzV7CIt.jpg

Full res.

it definitely does look like a exec class ship.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    I agree.... And given that so far, the actual design on the engine nozzles is not very well known since there is no real shot of a shutdown engine, we can argue that it's simply a different contractor they had employed.
  • StormcloudStormcloud2 Posts: 0Member
    got to wonder how an executor ends up upside down on a planet - any conceivable crash would totally wreck it beyond recognition - a bad landing or something and why is it upside down?
    Stormcloud wrote: »
    got to wonder how an executor ends up upside down on a planet - any conceivable crash would totally wreck it beyond recognition - a bad landing or something and why is it upside down?
    Rule of Plot, my friend
  • grifxogrifxo0 Posts: 0Member

i thought i was the only one wondering this. then again i thought there was only one of them. the one in empire and jedi and that blew up against the d star 2.
  • stfanboystfanboy67 Posts: 388Member
    i thought i was the only one wondering this. then again i thought there was only one of them. the one in empire and jedi and that blew up against the d star 2.

In the expanded universe there were at least two more that I know of. Here is two of them going at it. The Orinda on the left and the Lusankya to the right. Notice the New Republic logo on the Lusankya? I'm mostly a Star Trek fan but the Executor Class ships make me blush with envy. :D

quyX2jf.jpg
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member

It's Star Wars, more Space Fantasy than Science fiction. When you have lightsabers and the force etc, anything's possible. :p
    If a ship can do a few thousand g, a crash is not likely to hurt it all that badly. Highest canon source - Invisible Hand falls into the atmosphere, breaks in two, and the front half comes down on the surface, basically intact.
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Or... Star Trek Generations :)
    dont buy it - ship survives high g acceleration because of inertial dampners or the crew inside wouldn't survive too - so the ship is under no unusual stresses in normal operation - by the time its ploughing into a planet upside down the inertial dampners are offline :)
    So breaking in half wouldn't disable anything actively holding a ship together but being upside down would?
    seem to recall the ship was still somewhat under control =) but lets face it that ship was tiny compared to an SSD
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    stfanboy wrote: »
    Sorry I'm late to the party but I'm thinking it is a Executor Class or a slightly modified version. The angle could be off a little. Here is something I quickly came up with at work. The only thing I see different are the engine nozzles. It is very close.

fzV7CIt.jpg

Full res.

Nice work. :thumb: Fair enough - I'll pay that.

There are some minor differences, but you could easily put that down to variations in the design. Executor was the first in its class - I don't think we were ever told it would be the only one in its class during the original trilogy. Given they built Executor in complete secrecy, it's no big stretch to believe they did another as well.
    actually remember han to luke - think it went something like relax kid there are lots of command ships - now while not all command ships might SSD's han wasn't at all shocked by its size so you have to assume he seen them before
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    According to Wookiepedia, over a dozen of these Executor-style ships were built....
    actually remember han to luke - think it went something like relax kid there are lots of command ships - now while not all command ships might SSD's han wasn't at all shocked by its size so you have to assume he seen them before
    Han had a pretty checkered past. I don't know if this was ever mentioned in the OT, but in the EU he had graduated from the Imperial Academy
  • SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    Stormcloud wrote:
    dont buy it - ship survives high g acceleration because of inertial dampners or the crew inside wouldn't survive too - so the ship is under no unusual stresses in normal operation - by the time its ploughing into a planet upside down the inertial dampners are offline

"Inertial Dampers" - or as a cynic might call them... plot. :)

All interesting stuff, but always worth bearing in mind that ultimately none of it is real. In the same way that people (occasionally) survive parachutes not opening etc', there are all sorts of freak occurrences that defy explanation happening with regularity. In a fantasy story centred on heroic actions, a ship falling out of orbit and there being survivors is almost par for the course. :)
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."
  • SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    New trailer, new ships, new discussions and all the fun that goes with it. Posts from Fractalsponge's 3D WIP thread moved here as it's a more appropriate place for discussion. :)
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Ah, that explains how this thread with all of these replies sprang up overnight. :lol:

(Looking at the Executor through the shuttle canopy)
    "Vader's on that ship."
    "Don't get jittery, Luke. There are a lot of command ships."

That alone suggests that the Executor isn't the only one. While the rebels wouldn't necessarily know every single Imperial ship, you have to assume that they'd know if Vader had his own special ship.
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    If those ships had been dragged out of orbit by a powerful force user, their engines could have been struggling to keep them aloft the whole way down, they might have only crashed at a hundred miles an hour or less.
    biotech wrote: »
    If those ships had been dragged out of orbit by a powerful force user, their engines could have been struggling to keep them aloft the whole way down, they might have only crashed at a hundred miles an hour or less.

That's a good point. We know some Jedi survived the purge, so one could have been on that planet and brought down the ship.
    That's a good point. We know some Jedi survived the purge, so one could have been on that planet and brought down the ship.
    the movies suggest that is not very plausible. i.e. big difference between pulling a starfighter from a swamp and moving it a few dozen meters than pulling a capital ship hundreds of kilometers from orbit to crash into the surface.
    (Darksaber would suggest otherwise)
    I guess you've never played The Force Unleashed, where you use The Force to take down an ISD. ;) It wasn't all the way up in orbit and may have been damaged already, I don't remember exactly. The same could have been the case here.

There are other explanations for how the ship could have "soft" landed upside down. The crew could have had breaking thrusters and partial control when they were crashing, but not the ability to right the ship. People just assume it was falling at breakneck speed, but that doesn't necessarily have to have been the case.