Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

I'm back with a new rig and some questions.

Judge DeathJudge Death0 Posts: 0Member
Ok, been gone a long time, not because I got mad at anyone here or got tired of blender, no, it's because I came down with an incredibly bad case of pneumonia, nearly died, spent 13 days in a coma, about 14 more days in a hospital, was really debilitated physicaly by the pneumonia (When I was taken to the ER unconscious the first 4 doctors to see me saud I should have been dead bdefore they got to me, I was given a 10% chance of surviving, my family was basically told I wasn't going to make it, I was in a coma for 13 days, people said it was the qworst case of pnsumonia they'd even seen anyone survive, so I wasn't gone out of malice, spite or lack of interest, ok?),
it's been nearly a year since I came down with it and I'm still weaker than I was before. It was a coupl;e months after I was out of the hispital before I could stay on my feet for more than a few minutes, even sitting up in a chair was tuiring at first and still is after a couple hours, etc.

But just so you know I haven't lost interest in this site or blender, ok? I didn't leave because i stopped liking this place or anything like that.

Anyway, I celebrated my 'miraculous" (Hey, some people at the hospital used that termt o descride my survival/recovery) recovery by building a 'new' computer system. (Mostly new, same HD, viodeo card, windows and dvd drive from my old system) and I was hoping it would be able to run blender better than my good old dual core system.

So, here's the specs on my new/upgraded system. I built it myself after moslty recovering to see if I still had it. Could some blender hardware head kindly rate it in terms of blender performance?

CPU: AMD fx6300 hexcore 3.5 ghz.
RAM: 8 gb
Video card: Nvidia gefore gtx 650/2gb

I still have a sata hd and a running on an older byt very stable and relible gigabyte mb.

So do I now have an adequate blender rig or not? I hope I do because I built this beast on a budget and really can't afform more. If I could, what would be the best way to go? More ram? Better gpu? I'm note sure about a new gpu, this one seems to run fine and I hear you can't render smoke on a gpu anyway, so it's good I have a hexcore 3.5ghx cpu.
Post edited by Judge Death on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Wow, sorry to hear about your long illness. It's good that you survived it, though.

I don't see why that computer won't run Blender just fine. I'm by no means an Blender aficionado, but that looks like a sweet rig for CGI in general. That 6-core CPU alone will give you a huge boost in rendering speed over a dual core. More RAM never hurts. I have 8 GB myself, but I'd love to at least double that.
  • rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
    Damn. Good luck with the continued recovery.
  • Judge DeathJudge Death0 Posts: 0Member
    rojren wrote: »
    Damn. Good luck with the continued recovery.

Thanks to both of you. My rig seems a little slower than I thought it'd be but it works.