Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Greetings!

Welcome to the fancy new Scifi-Meshes.com! You old username and password should work. If not, get in touch with staff either here, on Facebook or on Discord.

For a quick summary on what's new, check out this thread.
You should also check out the Community Guidelines here.
You can check out most recent posts here or by clicking the handy links on the top menu or the sidebar.

You can dismiss this message by clicking the little X in the top right corner.

Goodbye Friend

oldmangregoldmangreg130 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,332Member
edited April 2015 in General Discussion #1
Rest in peace, Jennifer Boucher. Many may know her for her work on Doug's NX-01 refit and the Season 5 ST: Enterprise campaign.
Post edited by oldmangreg on
Your father called the future - "the undiscovered country". People can be very frightened of change.
https://confluenceuniverse.wordpress.com/

Posts

  • Chris2005Chris2005347 Posts: 2,975Member
    Me and her had a rocky start. However, I was lucky to finally get to call her friend. I will certainly miss her. :(
  • Dark SaberDark Saber0 Posts: 0Member
    It is a blow to the Trek Art community even the whole Sci-Fi art community. Jenn's Fiesty personality and creativity will be missed.
  • ChanurChanur191 53.33° N / 10.00° EPosts: 305Member
    Still shocked. She was a great artist and a wonderfull person!
    Jen, you'll be missed :'(
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_180916 Posts: 8,941Member
    Wow, this is stunning news. Like Tobias said, she passed way too early. She will definitely be missed.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67226 Posts: 1,891Member
    rest in peace, Jen
  • StarshipStarship231 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,754Member
    Jen has gone... :o
    I always admired her work and, while not being a close friend of her, I can say she was a nice girl. She will be missed. :(
    R.I.P.
  • TheGreatRajaTheGreatRaja171 Posts: 0Member
    She was a woman of rare talent She will be missed
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter171 Posts: 0Member
    It appears she was really "virtual". :(
  • mattcmattc176 Perth, AuPosts: 318Member
    It appears she was really "virtual". :(

    That would certainly appear to be the case. Don't beat yourself up too much.
  • LonewriterLonewriter228 Posts: 1,031Member
    I was shocked to hear this this, I had several chats with her, she'll be missed. RIP.
  • CrookCrook176 Posts: 24Member
    It appears she was really "virtual". :(

    Is anyone going to expand on this?
  • mattcmattc176 Perth, AuPosts: 318Member
    Crook wrote: »
    Is anyone going to expand on this?

    Would it help?
  • New HomelandsNew Homelands0 Posts: 0Member
    Mattc, for those of us who don't know, it might help if someone were to expand on this. I heard she died of complications related to chemotherapy (I posted my condolences over on F3D), is that not the case? Is she still alive? What do you mean she was virtual? I for one am now thoroughly confused.

    If she's still living I'd feel a bit irked at a rather underhanded prank, but I'd be far more thrilled to know she's still among us.
  • mattcmattc176 Perth, AuPosts: 318Member
    Mattc, for those of us who don't know, it might help if someone were to expand on this. I heard she died of complications related to chemotherapy (I posted my condolences over on F3D), is that not the case? Is she still alive? What do you mean she was virtual? I for one am now thoroughly confused.

    If she's still living I'd feel a bit irked at a rather underhanded prank, but I'd be far more thrilled to know she's still among us.

    As Tobias said, it would appear (via a great deal of evidence), that 'Jenn/VK08/etc' never actually existed. There is no 'she'.

    There it is in a nutshell, I can't really make it any planer.
  • New HomelandsNew Homelands0 Posts: 0Member
    Thank you for that clarification. I confess this leaves me with a plethora of questions, but I'll not mar the thread by inquiring any further. I trust you and Tobias, so I'll take your word that the evidence is strong enough to support such a conclusion.

    Whatever else may be the case, the renders posted were real enough, and they were first rate.
  • mattcmattc176 Perth, AuPosts: 318Member
    Sure, it's never fun to find out you've all been had on such a scale. Still, as you say, some of the recent artwork was pretty nice.
  • CrookCrook176 Posts: 24Member
    mattc wrote: »
    As Tobias said, it would appear (via a great deal of evidence), that 'Jenn/VK08/etc' never actually existed. There is no 'she'.

    There it is in a nutshell, I can't really make it any planer.

    I've no problem with someone living a virtual life, but you could be a little planer. Is the human being behind the character now dead, or they simply gave up being vk08?
  • mattcmattc176 Perth, AuPosts: 318Member
    He's still very much alive.
  • CrookCrook176 Posts: 24Member
    mattc wrote: »
    He's still very much alive.

    Ahh.
  • mattcmattc176 Perth, AuPosts: 318Member
    Crook wrote: »
    Ahh.

    Yup.
  • psCargilepsCargile232 Posts: 546Member
    Interesting. I learned about the fake death and then fake life on FB. Seen this before, first hand. Back in the late 90s I met a "young woman" in a chat room, we became friends, and "she" did the MIDI piece for my Trek website at the time, and later around 2000, 2001, one of our mutal friends msged me that "she" was a dude. He ahd to give up the gig because the mutal friend had fallen in love with the female persona. Which was funny in an Andy Kaufmann kind of way, but a young man was literally heartbroken that the woman of his dreams was a bearded, overweight hipster. I decided not to break off the friendship because maybe this was a complex gender choice thing that I didn't fully understand, but no, just a dude screwing around on the internet--girl friend and all (eventually our interests digressed and I haven't spoke with him in years), not to say he didn't have his share of problems. I thought it was an interesting social or psychological experiment about how we interact with words on a screen, and what we bring to and into the experience. when there are a lot of blanks to fill in, we fill them in. Like this young man fell in love with his idea of what this person presented themself to be. And I know people that are angry into be tricked into mourning a false persona. People grieved over the "death". That's real invested emotions fostered from an interaction with text.

    I wasn't a friend of "Jen's" but I followed the Enterprise campaign on FB, and I have noticed there seems to be a reluctance to discuss what happened and why--didn't see anything at Trek BBS, but didn't look long. I'm under the assumption even professionals were fooled.
  • mattcmattc176 Perth, AuPosts: 318Member
    psCargile wrote: »
    I'm under the assumption even professionals were fooled.
    A correct assumption. hence the reasons things are quiet. Nothing good will come of any of it.
Sign In or Register to comment.