Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Goodbye Friend

oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
edited April 2015 in General Discussion #1
Rest in peace, Jennifer Boucher. Many may know her for her work on Doug's NX-01 refit and the Season 5 ST: Enterprise campaign.
Post edited by oldmangreg on
Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.

• Chris2005Chris2005675 Posts: 3,096Member
    Me and her had a rocky start. However, I was lucky to finally get to call her friend. I will certainly miss her. :(
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • Dark SaberDark Saber1 Posts: 0Member
    It is a blow to the Trek Art community even the whole Sci-Fi art community. Jenn's Fiesty personality and creativity will be missed.
  • ChanurChanur191 53.33° N / 10.00° EPosts: 305Member
    Still shocked. She was a great artist and a wonderfull person!
    Jen, you'll be missed :'(
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Wow, this is stunning news. Like Tobias said, she passed way too early. She will definitely be missed.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    rest in peace, Jen
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Jen has gone... :o
    I always admired her work and, while not being a close friend of her, I can say she was a nice girl. She will be missed. :(
    R.I.P.
  • TheGreatRajaTheGreatRaja171 Posts: 0Member
    She was a woman of rare talent She will be missed
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    It appears she was really "virtual". :(
  • mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member

That would certainly appear to be the case. Don't beat yourself up too much.
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    I was shocked to hear this this, I had several chats with her, she'll be missed. RIP.
  • CrookCrook179 Posts: 24Member

Is anyone going to expand on this?
    Crook wrote: »
    Is anyone going to expand on this?

Would it help?
  • New HomelandsNew Homelands1 Posts: 0Member
    Mattc, for those of us who don't know, it might help if someone were to expand on this. I heard she died of complications related to chemotherapy (I posted my condolences over on F3D), is that not the case? Is she still alive? What do you mean she was virtual? I for one am now thoroughly confused.

If she's still living I'd feel a bit irked at a rather underhanded prank, but I'd be far more thrilled to know she's still among us.
    Mattc, for those of us who don't know, it might help if someone were to expand on this. I heard she died of complications related to chemotherapy (I posted my condolences over on F3D), is that not the case? Is she still alive? What do you mean she was virtual? I for one am now thoroughly confused.

If she's still living I'd feel a bit irked at a rather underhanded prank, but I'd be far more thrilled to know she's still among us.

As Tobias said, it would appear (via a great deal of evidence), that 'Jenn/VK08/etc' never actually existed. There is no 'she'.

There it is in a nutshell, I can't really make it any planer.
  • New HomelandsNew Homelands1 Posts: 0Member
    Thank you for that clarification. I confess this leaves me with a plethora of questions, but I'll not mar the thread by inquiring any further. I trust you and Tobias, so I'll take your word that the evidence is strong enough to support such a conclusion.

Whatever else may be the case, the renders posted were real enough, and they were first rate.
    Sure, it's never fun to find out you've all been had on such a scale. Still, as you say, some of the recent artwork was pretty nice.
    mattc wrote: »
    As Tobias said, it would appear (via a great deal of evidence), that 'Jenn/VK08/etc' never actually existed. There is no 'she'.

There it is in a nutshell, I can't really make it any planer.

I've no problem with someone living a virtual life, but you could be a little planer. Is the human being behind the character now dead, or they simply gave up being vk08?
    He's still very much alive.
    mattc wrote: »
    He's still very much alive.

Ahh.
    Crook wrote: »
    Ahh.

Yup.
  • psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    Interesting. I learned about the fake death and then fake life on FB. Seen this before, first hand. Back in the late 90s I met a "young woman" in a chat room, we became friends, and "she" did the MIDI piece for my Trek website at the time, and later around 2000, 2001, one of our mutal friends msged me that "she" was a dude. He ahd to give up the gig because the mutal friend had fallen in love with the female persona. Which was funny in an Andy Kaufmann kind of way, but a young man was literally heartbroken that the woman of his dreams was a bearded, overweight hipster. I decided not to break off the friendship because maybe this was a complex gender choice thing that I didn't fully understand, but no, just a dude screwing around on the internet--girl friend and all (eventually our interests digressed and I haven't spoke with him in years), not to say he didn't have his share of problems. I thought it was an interesting social or psychological experiment about how we interact with words on a screen, and what we bring to and into the experience. when there are a lot of blanks to fill in, we fill them in. Like this young man fell in love with his idea of what this person presented themself to be. And I know people that are angry into be tricked into mourning a false persona. People grieved over the "death". That's real invested emotions fostered from an interaction with text.

I wasn't a friend of "Jen's" but I followed the Enterprise campaign on FB, and I have noticed there seems to be a reluctance to discuss what happened and why--didn't see anything at Trek BBS, but didn't look long. I'm under the assumption even professionals were fooled.
    psCargile wrote: »
    I'm under the assumption even professionals were fooled.
    A correct assumption. hence the reasons things are quiet. Nothing good will come of any of it.