Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

PracticalBandai AT-ST 1/48

PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
edited April 2015 in Work in Progress #1
Couldn't work on Iron Man all weekend because of rain, so I started this on the side. Chewbacca is painted and the AT-ST midsection and legs are assembled.

IIPqeBX.jpg

rtGdqI5.jpg
108334.jpg
Post edited by PixelMagic on
Tagged:

• PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    All three figures now painted.

o6gclAO.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Sweet. It's got Chewie and the two pilots he threw out. :lol: That's a really nice paint job on Chewie. The pilots look good too, but I'll bet Chewie was more of a challenge.
    Got the cockpit painted and assembled.

S4hco0r.jpg
    AKTxpem.jpg
    uuWmXAU.jpg
    YENk6GT.jpg
    8tKr4X5.jpg
    m3x7vxq.jpg
    Looking great so far. I'm already envisioning Chewie reaching down and pulling them out of there. :devil:
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice, we're you inspired by the cat in the background when painting Chewie? Looking great.

:thumb:
  • AcemanAceman337 Posts: 269Member
    I gotta say, the cockpit painting is very nice! The attention to detail is really good. I hand painted a few Battletech mechs back when I was a bit younger using a cat whisker to draw the very very small lines. I know it's not easy - Nicely done. I look forward to seeing more.
    Construction and painting are finished. Now I gotta put some plant life on the base and weather/battle damage the AT-ST.

NF39Nhb.jpg?1
    WXPGvoC.jpg?1
    lwnPkra.jpg
    xhNFQFG.jpg?1
    Wow, that's fast work. It looks great. :)
    Wow, that's fast work. It looks great. :)

Because Bandai model kits are a pleasure to build. This is my first one. No seams to fill, not parts to correct for accuracy. Everything is as it should be, therefore you can focus on the build instead of having to fix problems. My Revell TIE fighter looks cool, but only because I put heavy modification work into the base kit. I modified nothing here. Just assembled and painted.

It will take me about another week of weathering and detailing the base, and this should all be done.
    That's great. It's always nice when everything works like it should. I remember the work you did on the TIE. It looks phenomenal because of what you did. :)
    Cracking work, good clean, sound looking model. Does look like that would be a pleasure to build. Bandai got any more Star Wars kits coming out? This one looks so good I'm most tempted to get into physical modelling again.
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    Cracking work, good clean, sound looking model. Does look like that would be a pleasure to build. Bandai got any more Star Wars kits coming out? This one looks so good I'm most tempted to get into physical modelling again.

Here is a list of all kits currently out, and to be released this year.

http://bandai-hobby.net/sw/schedule/index.html
    Google Translate translated the TIE advanced to "Thailand Advanced." :lol:

That's a great list of kits. I see one of my ultimate favorites, the Y-Wing is slated for release this year. :D I love that R2 & R5 kit.
    Nice selection, a shame most of the starfighters are 1/72 scale, at least there is a 1/48 scale X-Wing and Snowspeeder. Weird how Slave 1 is 1/144 scale, I know it is bigger than a starfighter, but that scale still seems excessively small. Perhaps they plan to release a Falcon at that scale too or something?
    First layer of weathering done. My first layer is just general discoloration of the surface. To make the metal look worn and old. Maybe some oil stains and dirt stained up the surface. I'll begin refining tinier and tinier weathering details from here.

Oz5P1H8.jpg

55sJYdm.jpg
    It definitely looks like it's been out in some weather. ;)
    I think this is about as far as I want to go with weathering. I will do a bit more detail weathering, but this is 90% there I think. I also painted the base in prep for plants/shrubs. The other minor detail work on the AT-ST was painting the hoses black, and also painting the back vents black.

mdrD6Qo.jpg
    oSs6Vgv.jpg
    6lv5Dg5.jpg
    19rWFia.jpg
    It looks great. The weathering looks very authentic.
    And it's done. :)

VdzZXdD.jpg
    fgjbXLT.jpg
    qhtyZvT.jpg
    lcOvAGQ.jpg
  • madman1701amadman1701a339 Posts: 366Member
    Looks awesome! The weathering is perfect.

I especially like the broken tree trunk on the base. :)

-Ricky
    I agree completely with madman. :)
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Wow, great work there Pixel. I love the weathering. Can you talk a little about your techniques there? I especially like the chipped look around the hard edges. Really nicely done!

My only comment would be that those ferns look quite plastic-y at the moment and could possibly do with a quick layer of paint themselves.

BTW - you decided to leave out Chewie? :)
    Comco wrote: »
    Wow, great work there Pixel. I love the weathering. Can you talk a little about your techniques there? I especially like the chipped look around the hard edges. Really nicely done!

It may look impressive, but it's actually quite easy to accomplish. For the main discoloration and streak stains, I simply followed this Millennium Falcon tutorial...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wreblsPaUhU

For the paint chips, I just used a darker gray color of Vallejo Model Colour and painted them by hand with a very tiny and pointed brush. Nothing to it really at all other than patience and a little thought into what would get weathered in real life.

My only comment would be that those ferns look quite plastic-y at the moment and could possibly do with a quick layer of paint themselves.

I actually did prime/paint them. Perhaps I need to put more variation in color on them to make them look organic. Maybe a semi gloss also to give them sheen.
    BTW - you decided to leave out Chewie? :)

Yeah. :( I ended up having to glue the top hatch because it wouldn't stay on. This left me with no where to put Chewie. Perhaps I'll find another use for him.
    PixelMagic wrote: »
    Yeah. :( I ended up having to glue the top hatch because it wouldn't stay on. This left me with no where to put Chewie. Perhaps I'll find another use for him.

On a vine with a couple of Ewoks hanging from him. ;) Of course, that would probably depend on whether or not you can get a hold of a couple Ewoks in that scale.
    Really nice job this, and a cracking level of finish. The detail on the base really sets it off a treat, though agree the ferns need some work, some variance in the colour with a darkish wash might work. Was going to say the only thing that's missing is the big blaster scorch mark across the faceplate if it was meant to be the hero walker that Chewie hijacks, but if you're not including him that's a moot point. Excellent work on a great kit either way.
    And finally for the AT-ST, as with all my models , I do a photo composite of the finished build.

piPoQAq.jpg
    YDqB5cS.jpg
    Very cool.

:thumb: