Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

PracticalIron Man Mark VI - 1/8th scale

PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
edited March 2015 in Work in Progress #1
While I'm waiting for my TIE fighter primer to cure, I went ahead and started my next project the Moebius Models Iron Man Mark VI.

To start, I went ahead and knocked out the base, because I don't want to have to worry about it when Iron Man is done.

White plastic looks to be a broken up street, so that's what informed the way I painted it.

MwCH1Qc.jpg

After a layer of primer, I hand painted the surface with Vallejo Black.

EWKDfsl.jpg

To create the texture of asphalt, I used small sponges dabbed in various gray and brown paints to speckle the surface. I made it a little dirtier than a regular street because it's cracked which I figured would have shot dirt from underneath all over the road.

fyfXmk9.jpg

Next I had to cut away plastic from the inside of the hand and arm to be able to fit a small 1.8 mm LED in the hand. This worked out nicely.

dXCtY3C.jpg

VyIoDEz.jpg
107850.jpg
Post edited by PixelMagic on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nice work with the LED. The street base looks fantastic.
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    Black basecoat. Buffed to high shine for the gold to go on top off.

yOeFChB.jpg

Proper care of the blackbase coat yields a shiny gold metallic look once applied.

AIThhs2.jpg

Right arm repulsor wired into the torso.

79C2ADG.jpg
    The gold looks awesome. :)
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Indeed, cracking work on that.

:thumb:
    Didn't get much done this weekend because it was mostly too cold outside to paint.

I have both arms wired up now, however...

tgHzRk9.jpg

qlvWAr4.jpg

On Saturday it did get into the high 50s, so I will able to paint a test. Iron Man's red color is not a standard red paint, it's what's called a "candy" paint. A dark red candy.

So, I researched how Legacy Effects (formerly Stan Winston Studios) painted the full size iron man suits for the movie. They sprayed the whole suit silver or gold and painted clear red over those metallic colors to get the candy look.

I elected to do the same with my Iron Man, so I did a paint test on a spoon. I painted the spoon Tamiya Silver Leaf TS-30. This gave the spoon a bright silver metallic look.

I couldn't just spray clear red over the top, because it would have been too bright. To cut down the intensity of the red, I mixed Tamiya Clear Red and Tamiya Smoke 50/50. Both of these paints are transparent paints, so they blend nicely without becoming opaque.

CrP5tPc.jpg

I sprayed the new dark red mixture over the silver spoon, yielding the following result...

OYKRe5a.jpg

Far too glossy for Iron Man, who has a brushed metal look, I took fine sand paper and brushed the sandpaper back and forth in one direction to knock the glossiness down and get a brushed metal look.

PRGAabJ.jpg

As a bonus, I am also re-painting a Hulkbuster Titan Toy which will receive the same paint treatment. Primer laid...

VRezk9p.jpg
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Hi PixelMagic,

Loved this update. The Iron Man red looks spot on. Just curious what grit of sand paper you used to give the brushed metal look and was it sanded wet or dry?

Looking forward to more of this.
    Tralfaz wrote: »
    Hi PixelMagic,

Loved this update. The Iron Man red looks spot on. Just curious what grit of sand paper you used to give the brushed metal look and was it sanded wet or dry?

Looking forward to more of this.

I believe it was 2000 grit. Wet sanded.
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    That Hulkbuster toy is so sweet! Ironman paint job is looking great as well
    Got the arc reactor wired up. Also the first coat of primer on the arms. As always some of my seams lines have to be filled AGAIN. I can never get all the seam lines filled on the first go. Always need touching up here or there.

Also got the inside of the chest and helmet light blocked. This build will probably be a little slow because most of my attention is on the Hulkbuster.

1hrvdZ4.jpg

EiYux59.jpg
    The MKVI is looking sweet. So, may we see the Hulkbuster, since you're focusing on that? I'd like to see how it's progressing.
    The MKVI is looking sweet. So, may we see the Hulkbuster, since you're focusing on that? I'd like to see how it's progressing.

Because I've been doing a lot of prep work on it, I've only gotten the base coat black on. Hopefully soon I can start getting metal paint on him.

ZfoTHZo.jpg
    Sweet. Thanks for the update. Even though those aren't the correct colors, it looks badass all in shiny black. :D
    I think Hulkbuster would look badass no matter what. Even hot pink.
    Let's not go that far. Though, it definitely is badass.
  • xerxes_2k2xerxes_2k2173 Posts: 32Member
    Looks awesome so far, that last picture also makes it look like the Hulkbuster just crushed part of Ironman under its foot.
    xerxes_2k2 wrote: »
    Looks awesome so far, that last picture also makes it look like the Hulkbuster just crushed part of Ironman under its foot.

Heh. Just plastic debris from the Mark 6. I had to carve out areas inside to fit the chest LED. :)