Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBlender Trek Thread

12346»

• psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    Found Trek Core and great photos of the TOS Smithsonian model, and remodeled some of the nacelle.

hyperion30a.jpg

hyperion30b.jpg

hyperion30c.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I like the details on the nacelle. :)
    The photos at Trek Core answered some questions I have about the nacelles. They have a great close-up shot of the grill.
    That's a sweet gallery, thanks for posting that. There are some nice closeups on some stuff I didn't have closeups on previously. Plus, they're nice, big images, not like many of the ones I have. I perused it earlier and even shared it with some friends. :)
    Worked on a few more details.

hyperion31a.jpg

hyperion31b.jpg

hyperion31c.jpg
    Sensor cluster array. Fleshed out some neck details and under saucer joint.

hyperion31d.jpg
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    This is coming along great.
  • xumucanexumucane0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking great. Love the neck details.
    Thanks guys.

Got around to remodeling the shuttle bay.

hyperion32a.jpg

One of the things that bothers me about Trek shuttle bay doors is how they seal without the aid of a force field. Not to say they don't. This door is a single unit that deploys aft and rotates into position. When closed, it will seal and lock--of course.

The shuttle is a mock-up until I build a better one.
    Looking good so far.

A lot of things bug me about Trek shuttlebays. My favorite pet peeve is always the ones that have doors that couldn't possibly work. But, I try not to think about it. :lol:
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Looking good so far.

A lot of things bug me about Trek shuttlebays. My favorite pet peeve is always the ones that have doors that couldn't possibly work. But, I try not to think about it. :lol:

Ooh, that and doors that should be angled like bay 2 and 3 on the Galaxy or the simple fact you should be able to see nacelles and other ship structures when the doors are open...
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    That's a nifty looking setup.
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    She looks cool Paul. :)
    I think for the most part, we all know shuttlebay doors should be airlock doors though they don't appears as though they could be and we just go with it to keep the Trek style. Realistically, you want shuttle bays designed to operate under low power conditions where there would be no force field present to contain the atmosphere. In which case, you need an airlock, and it wouldn't be practical to depressurize and repressurize the whole bay. That's a large volumn of air you have to move and store somewhere. Then again, in the event of power loss, you may not be concerned with returning to the ship, just getting off of it as quick as possible, which would entail loading shuttles, venting atmosphere and opening the door. Is it feasible to load a shuttle into an internal airlock? it seems bays are large enough to accomodate one, but that would certainly curtail launch and recovery time.

My solution would be that the bay is never pressurized and the shuttles are designed to dock with a surface of the bay, or a jetty, and the crew would enter and leave through the docking mechanism in the same way it's done today. In that way, the doors don't have to seal at all and can be garage or roll-up doors. But, that's not what we see in Trek. So the air must be pumped--the larger the vents, the faster the rate--into pressurized tanks. Obviously a tank that holds twice the pressure of the bay is going to have half the volume, and four times a fourth and so on, so this wont be small tanks and have to be somewhere that is never included in MSDs. Yet, this means the bay should only be a large as it needs to be for the storage, launching, and recovering of shuttles--otherwise, not roomy.

That's the problems I see. Though I'm not addressing those issue with my design.

I deleted the aft faces and extruded more, and I knew the general direction I wanted to go to make this door arrangement, and I knew how I would have done it in Rhino, but had to give it some thought about how to approach it in Blender. Honestly I think I could have done a better job in Rhino as it allows you to make and join curves for cross-section outlines, which you can extrude or lathe for well defined solids. Plus I do a lot of boolean operations in Rhino to cut out doors and windows. In Blender, I decided to extrude the back face forward into the body of the bay to create a cavity and forward bulkhead, then created a cylinder auhhs the aft bulkhead and performed some knife cuts to carve out the faces for the door and door recess. I copied those faces and separated them, and began extruding faces and adding bevels. But because I had to use straightline cuts across the NGON surface of the cylinder face, I end up with a rather simple looking door. In Rhino, I could have made a door with some extrusions or recesses in it's outline, and used the door to boolean cut the opening into the bay. Now I have to figure out how to make a pipe for my seal that will be laid in the recess. In Rhino, it is as simple as making the curves and clicking the make pipe button, or lofting a circle around the path. I have a Pipe addon in Blender, but never used it.