Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DYet another TARDIS!

BlobVanDamBlobVanDam0 Posts: 0Member
edited February 2015 in Work in Progress #1
I just can't seem to help myself starting new projects before I finish the last one. :lol:

Inspired by RewiredMonkey's own excellent TARDIS model, and a personal project I plan to use it for, I am building the current TARDIS from Dr Who, using the links mentioned in his thread (thanks!). I'm quite far into the project now, so I figured I'd show it off.
I haven't built the center console yet, as I have something special planned for that, which I will show at a later date once it's done.

I didn't originally plan to build the exterior, but I wanted to make sure the interior doors were accurate for reference, and I got a bit carried away! I used blueprints from tardisbuilders.com, and then modified them based on some camera matched photos to match the series 6/7 TARDIS, which has some minor differences to the earlier Tennant-era design. The two comparison photos are actually of slightly different TARDISes, but they were close enough for my purposes.

Obviously nothing is properly textured or lit yet, but I'm pretty happy with it all so far. :)
105649.jpg
105650.jpg
105651.jpg
105652.jpg
105653.jpg
105654.jpg
Post edited by BlobVanDam on
Tagged:

• Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Always nice to see a TARDIS. Awesome work.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    This is very nice, great modeling!
    Like Vortex said, always nice to see one of these, particularly with the current interior, which is the only one I really like from the modern series.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • BlobVanDamBlobVanDam0 Posts: 0Member
    Rekkert wrote: »
    This is very nice, great modeling!
    Like Vortex said, always nice to see one of these, particularly with the current interior, which is the only one I really like from the modern series.

It's by far my favourite of the modern series. The Tennant one isn't bad imo, but I personally didn't like the organic steampunky approach a lot. I didn't like the first Matt Smith interior much at all, especially the console featuring random household appliances. It looked kiddy and silly.

I instantly loved the newest design, and modelling it and studying it has only given me more appreciation for how beautifully it all fits together. It looks modern and functional, without being cheesy and scifi, or bland and sterile. It has a great atmosphere with the set lighting too. It really makes the TARDIS scenes a joy to watch. Since it's only been around for half a season so far, hopefully they keep it for many years to come.
    the RTD era version will always be the TARDIS, to me but it is a difficult one to go back to, being so flat. I liked Smith's first one. The centre not being in line with the door was cool, and I did like the glass floor. The new one is great and the lighting awesome. The only thing that I don't like is the Time Rotor.
    Vortex5972 wrote: »
    the RTD era version will always be the TARDIS, to me but it is a difficult one to go back to, being so flat. I liked Smith's first one. The centre not being in line with the door was cool, and I did like the glass floor. The new one is great and the lighting awesome. The only thing that I don't like is the Time Rotor.

I guess it also comes down to the one you "grew up" with. I only recently got into Dr Who, and binged on all of them within a week or so, so I don't have any particular connection to any of them, but I do think this is the best overall design, and as you said, the lighting is awesome, which makes a big difference in those key scenes.
    I love the top part of the time rotor with the spinning symbols, although it would be nice if the glowy bits moved too.

I've started some texturing. Pretty basic so far. The catwalk wall and the blue catwalk edges are basically ripped directly from the real deal, as is the door. I think it's going to look rough until I get more in place and light it properly. At least, I'm hoping it's suddenly going to look good somehow. :lol:
    105724.jpg
  • blutobluto171 Posts: 0Member
    any chance i could get a copy in obj format ?
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work. Have to agree that this is my fave TARDIS interior design from NuWho, giving us the clean lines of the classic Who TARDIS while still having the grandeur of the NuWho TARDIS interiors. Looking good.

:thumb:
    The basic doorway is finished, aside from details such as locks, proper glass etc. I'm still working on that frame. You can see I've started re-drawing the design over the original screenshot underneath.
    105755.jpg
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Nice... I love the colouring!
    It's been a while since I've updated this, but I'm still working on it!

Here's a comparison pic of the real TARDIS and my TARDIS. It took me a while to match the lighting and such, but I'm happy with the results.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=108826&d=1405348937

I'm still tweaking the lighting for the rest of the TARDIS, as can be seen in the other attached image, but the mesh and texturing and now finished.
    106347.jpg106348.jpg
    Haha!! Loving the Lego look. Everything looks great.
    Haha!! Loving the Lego look. Everything looks great.

Thanks. :thumb: I wasn't sure how noticeable the Lego would be in that render, but I'm going to be using this TARDIS in a video I'm making. I've put up a little teaser on Youtube, although the video I'm making doesn't actually contain this footage at all. But I thought it would be fun to parody the first S8 trailer.
    Damn it!! Now I really want some Lego Doctor Who. xD
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    NICE!
  • Nice lighting and it's lego!
  • DaVinChipDaVinChip331 Posts: 0Member
    Nice!
    I've finally finished the project I made this for!
    That is brilliant. Now I want a Doctor Who Lego video game. It suits Eleven perfectly.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    Guest-starring Benny! "Uh great Box, man, but where's your spaceship?"
    That is brilliant. Now I want a Doctor Who Lego video game. It suits Eleven perfectly.

Thanks. I was originally going to do some mockup "video game" footage to go with it, but then I realized that was a bit too ambitious. :o
    Guest-starring Benny! "Uh great Box, man, but where's your spaceship?"

:lol: I love that guy.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    BlobVanDam wrote: »
    I've finally finished the project I made this for!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FWP23X7JE4
    GENIUS!! LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    That was epically awesome. Great job! :thumb:
    GENIUS!! LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Schimpfy wrote: »
    That was epically awesome. Great job! :thumb:

Thanks guys. The response has been great so far. :)
  • Raymar3dRaymar3d0 Posts: 0Member
    Cool movie! :)
    I know this is a bit of a bump, but felt that this needed to be posted here. I was immediately reminded of this thread.

LEGO DOCTOR WHO!!! REAL, OFFICIAL LEGO DOCTOR WHO!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/lego-doctor-who-set-to-materialise.html

Maybe there could yet be a videogame.
    That was quick! I only saw it 5 minutes ago on the Lego Facebook page.

If you want to see a potential Lego Doctor Who video game, subscribe to my Youtube channel. I've got a new video coming soon. ;) (it's not spam if it's my own thread!)