Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

PracticalTIE Standard - Revell

13»

• TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Excellent work as always PM.
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    Yeah, I haven't seen that, nor will I. I really loathed Dark of the Moon, so I told myself I'm not watching any more of those films that he's involved with.

Heh, yeah. I never said they are good films, but I like the designs. Optimus is my favorite robot in fiction, so I like all incarnations.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    PixelMagic wrote: »
    Heh, yeah. I never said they are good films, but I like the designs. Optimus is my favorite robot in fiction, so I like all incarnations.

Oh yeah, the designs are great. I like how they made the models actually work, unlike the old cartoon. As much as I love the cartoon, you have to take the transformations with a grain of salt.

As for the movies, I thought the first one was great. The second was a let down and the third was just awful. Especially the parts with humans. The part with the transformers themselves was decent, but the movie was tainted by so many stupid scenes with Sam and some of the other humans. Plus, as I always say, if I want to see Transformers with the same basic plot as and a much better script than Dark of the Moon, I'll just watch the first season 3-part episode The Ultimate Doom. The plot is a big rehash of that episode.
    Ok, so decent progress this weekend, but still not as much as I'd hoped.

Firstly I scratch built details on either side of the cockpit glass to replace what I had to sand off to fix Revell's horrible seams.

Wq7hXNT.jpg

p1h5JM3.jpg

And some scratch details on the back to replace the poorly molded ones originally on the kit.

Wte69vL.jpg

Needed to protect the cockpit glass from the new primer/paint coats, but I couldn't cut perfect circular masks that would go down around the edges. This would have let some paint get on the edge of the frame. So instead, I used liquid mask and painted over the edge of the frame, then came back with a toothpick to burnish up to the edge. This masked the cockpit window perfectly.

G4fpflz.jpg

Finally, I was unsure how to mask the open cockpit hatch on top. Spraying without the upper hatch would have let paint get all over the pilot, and that was unacceptable. My simple solution was to stick a rolled up piece of paper in the opening and let it unfurl to the edges of the hatch opening. This worked great to keep paint out.

I3saZkt.jpg

Because I had been stupid and forgot to paint the INSIDE of the model black for light blocking of the LEDs, I simply painted the outer body with black Rust-Oleum primer. I was relieved once I got this coat on, because I could see all my body work had paid off, and that the TIE ball was mostly smooth. A couple of areas need minor sanding touch up, but overall I am very pleased.

QmZQ92c.jpg

Also, to back track a bit, I changed my mind about my next project. After the TONS of work I put into this TIE, I do not want to do a complex model again for a while, so Optimus is on the back burner. Instead I'm gonna do this guy...

aOw1STL.jpg
    The TIE is looking great. Nice job on those scratch built bits. Iron Man is really cool, I'm looking forward to that. :)
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    Playing with that Ironman right now. Not a bad kit fit wise.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work on your continuing TIE project, that last image brought to mind the "Does it come in black?" line from Batman Begins, looks pretty cool in black, but obviously wouldn't play very well against a starfield.

:lol:
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    awesome!
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    Nice work on your continuing TIE project, that last image brought to mind the "Does it come in black?" line from Batman Begins, looks pretty cool in black, but obviously wouldn't play very well against a starfield.

The black version is the stealth version. :lol:
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    The black version is the stealth version. :lol:
    reminds me of Admiral Daala's black super star destroyer from Darksaber​. Stealth indeed :D
    Didn't they have a black Viper made out of carbon fiber that they built at one point on the newer BSG? I think that was supposed to be a stealth Viper.
    Yeah, was also boxier rather than curved like a normal Viper, made out of some composite due to a lack of standard materials to build new Vipers, and was named after President Rosalind.

Jeez I'm such a nerd.

:rolleyes:

Thanks for the info. It's been a few years since I saw that episode.
    Saturday Update.

Here she is all painted. No decals yet. The TIE hasn't been hooked up to the base yet, but the hull painting is done. All the research I did on hull colors really paid off. The color scheme in person looks just like an ILM studio model. I am very happy with it.

6Qv7v1L.jpg

Mw5Dhrt.jpg
    That's looking great, can't wait to see it all lit up. Curious as to what the decals are, didn't think there were any markings on a TIE Fighter.
    That's looking great, can't wait to see it all lit up. Curious as to what the decals are, didn't think there were any markings on a TIE Fighter.

There are some markings in A New Hope, but I'm not sure all studio TIE fighters had decals or just one of them. The upper hatch definitely has some even on Darth Vader's. The body of at least one has some markings as well.

TIE_Fighter_Studio_Scale_model_eFX-18.jpg

TIE_Fighter_Studio_Scale_model_eFX-11.jpg
    So those are shots of the original ANH movie prop? Would not be in-universe authentic due to them using what looks like English text when it should be in Auberesh now. One bit looks like it is a part of the old Goodyear logo.

I love how close you've got to this original prop's look with your scratch built greebling, looks bang on.
    They probably pilfered the decals from other kits, like they did with the parts. The Goodyear logo probably came from a race car or blimp or something.
    Yeah, I think they sacked off a lot of these details for the latter models. Probably realising that you never get close enough, and the thing tends to move too fast for you to see it.
    Yeah, I think they sacked off a lot of these details for the latter models. Probably realising that you never get close enough, and the thing tends to move too fast for you to see it.

I think that's probably why they were on there to begin with. After all, do they really want easily readable English markings, including part of an easily identifiable logo on a ship that exists in a galaxy far, far away? Probably not. It's probably more of an Easter egg type thing, or something that was done to add a bit more detail to be seen (but not seen) as it's whizzing by.
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Doing an awesome job PixelMagic. As for decals, you would be surprised at the number of terrestrial decals are on the Falcon!
    Yeah I'll bet it is veritable treasure trove of Easter eggs that thing. The best one I've seen is the poster that's hanging on the wall of the cockpit of the Tantive IV.
    The best one I've seen is the poster that's hanging on the wall of the cockpit of the Tantive IV.

Do share, please. For those of us who don't know what it is. I've seen that movie about a bazillion times and I don't recall seeing the cockpit. ;)
  • MaxxRushMaxxRush180 Posts: 168Member
    Do share, please. For those of us who don't know what it is. I've seen that movie about a bazillion times and I don't recall seeing the cockpit. ;)

http://i.imgur.com/ZYfHaIZ.jpg
    Yeah, that's the one, you'd never see it in the movie as you never really see the front close up (Well not close up enough to see that sort of detail), at least not in ANH. Still, a pretty cool little feature.
    MaxxRush wrote: »

Thanks. That's really funny. :lol: