Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

[Books/TV] The Expanse series by James S. A. Corey - Upcoming TV Series on Syfy

backsteptbackstept2017 Posts: 918Member
edited December 2015 in General Discussion #1
Have you guys read these books? I can't put them down. Seriously, I'm re-reading them for the third time.

Here's a blurb from Syfy.com describing the first season, which is also book 1: Leviathan Wakes
A thriller set two hundred years in the future, The Expanse follows the case of a missing young woman who brings a hardened detective and a rogue shipA’s captain together in a race across the solar system to expose the greatest conspiracy in human history.

When they announced the show, I was super psyched. I'd say I'm more excited for this than I ever was for BSG. Borderline blasphemy, I know.

The writers behind James S. A. Corey - Ty Franck and Daniel Abraham are also working as producers on the show, which I think is wonderful.

And also the cast for the series is perfect: Thomas Jane, Steven Strait, Dominique Tipper, Wes Chatham, Cas Anvar, and Shohreh Agdashloo round out the regulars. So far, I can't see anyone else playing these characters.

Ascension was not very exciting, and to be honest, the premise was never that interesting. I think The Expanse is intrinsically more interesting, and I can't wait to see it next year.

What do you guys think?
Post edited by backstept on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I've never heard of it, but I don't watch much on Syfy and I've never read the books. However, the premise sounds cool. When is it supposed to premiere? I'll have to mark the calendar so that I don't miss it. (though, the good thing about Syfy is that they'll rerun it :))

Yeah, Ascension was a pretty bland idea, I can see why Syfy decided to halt production and just release what they've made so far.
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    The first book went in a direction I TOTALLY did not expect ... and LOVED. Haven't read the second (or third, obviously) yet due to constraints and pressures. And a titanic to-be-read/listened to list.
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    I've read those. Good reads. (There's four books, now) Good characters, good stories. I'm curious how the series will accommodate realistic travel times
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    They'll either telescope it or montage it or they'll gloss over it. Hopefully they'll do a mix (or stick with the Whedon version, ships travel at the speed of plot).
  • backsteptbackstept2017 Posts: 918Member
    I've never heard of it, but I don't watch much on Syfy and I've never read the books. However, the premise sounds cool. When is it supposed to premiere? I'll have to mark the calendar so that I don't miss it. (though, the good thing about Syfy is that they'll rerun it :))

Yeah, Ascension was a pretty bland idea, I can see why Syfy decided to halt production and just release what they've made so far.
    It's probably coming out in Summer or Fall 2015, but they haven't set a date. They're in the middle of filming right now, on hiatus for the holidays, actually.

I highly recommend the books. Leviathan Wakes, Caliban's War, Abaddon's Gate, Cibola Burn and the next book to be released will be called Nemesis Games. Last I heard they're on contract for 9 books total. The Expanse feels like hard sci-fi but it isn't. It feels very much like a world we could eventually see. The technology isn't that far away from our own, with the exception of the Epstein engine. The Epstein engine is how the writers solved the problem of rocket fuel, and it's an extremely efficient nuclear fusion rocket that requires fuel pellets to burn in a reactor which makes an absurd amount of thrust for a long time between refuelings. The ships use steam for the RCS systems.
    Sanderlee wrote: »
    They'll either telescope it or montage it or they'll gloss over it. Hopefully they'll do a mix (or stick with the Whedon version, ships travel at the speed of plot).
    the biggest thing I hope they get right is microgravity, spin, and acceleration 'gravity'
    if they have the ships moving at 1G all the time it would be boring.

Another thing I can't wait to see is all the space stations out in the Belt.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    backstept wrote: »
    It's probably coming out in Summer or Fall 2015, but they haven't set a date. They're in the middle of filming right now, on hiatus for the holidays, actually.

I highly recommend the books. Leviathan Wakes, Caliban's War, Abaddon's Gate, Cibola Burn and the next book to be released will be called Nemesis Games. Last I heard they're on contract for 9 books total. The Expanse feels like hard sci-fi but it isn't. It feels very much like a world we could eventually see. The technology isn't that far away from our own, with the exception of the Epstein engine. The Epstein engine is how the writers solved the problem of rocket fuel, and it's an extremely efficient nuclear fusion rocket that requires fuel pellets to burn in a reactor which makes an absurd amount of thrust for a long time between refuelings. The ships use steam for the RCS systems.

Sweet. Thanks for the info, bro. I shall have to visit my local library's website and see what they have.
    also, shameless plug for /r/TheExpanse
    Yeah, so I'm necroposting. Like there's much else going on around here.

Anyway, was the show any good? I dozed off during the first commercial and woke up after it was over.
    Is it good? No . . . . IT'S ****ING FANTASTIC!
    The first 4 episodes are up on Syfy.com and Space.ca and maybe a few other places.
    I had super high expectations since I was such a fan of the books and the show turned out to be so much better than I was hoping. I can honestly say I already love it more than BSG.
    That's good to hear. I've had a hard time this week staying awake past 10:00. I'll watch the episodes in a few days.