Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DThe Oberth Class in Blender

Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
edited December 2014 in Work in Progress #1
As I'm finishing up my Galaxy Class, I wanted a quick side project that I could work on a bit to clear my head. The Oberth Class is small and simple enough for me to knock out in a few days. And I didn't have this class in my fleet yet, so...

I don't think I will need much help with this one; It's pretty straight forward.

Perth1_zps82e101c4.jpg

Sources say she's supposed to be 120 meters. I had to make her 150 in order for the flight deck to work.

Perth2_zps651b8af8.jpg

Studio model pics are my primary source, but I also was inspired by other Meshes that are out there.

Perth3_zps8b6c6996.jpg

Possible names: the U.S.S. Perth, Hudson, Beagle or Owen

Perth5_zps984e8234.jpg

I'm going to bash the heck out of this mesh when it's done. All sorts of different pods could attach below on this girl. And I will probably do a 4 nacelle version too.

Perth4_zps24946c49.jpg

As always, feel free to comment widely...
107355.jpg
Post edited by Polaris 004 on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Sweet, I love this little ship. It's looking great so far.

ILM claims the ship is 120 meters long, but that's a highly dubious claim. There are a lot of rows of windows, which clearly represent decks and they would be really short decks if she was only 120 m long. I like Bernd Schneider's article on the subject:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/oberth-size.htm
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Nice start.
  • psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    I've always liked the Oberth too. The bottom has always looked to me to be inspired by the float pontoons on water landing aircraft.
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Nice start. :)

With all of the Blender users around here I keep wondering if I should take a crack at it. :p
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Yes, yes you should. :p
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    Sweet, I love this little ship. It's looking great so far.

ILM claims the ship is 120 meters long, but that's a highly dubious claim. There are a lot of rows of windows, which clearly represent decks and they would be really short decks if she was only 120 m long. I like Bernd Schneider's article on the subject:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/oberth-size.htm

Yeah, that's a great read. Thanks for posting it, as I was about to go find it again. I reviewed all the information in it, and decided to stick with 150 meters in length. That's really the very smallest it can be and have any semblance of everything "fitting." I almost want to make it a bigger ship, closer to the length of a Miranda, because that would allow things like a full-sized engine room and, I dunno, decent living space for 80 freaking people? But clearly she is supposed to be a small ship, so I went ahead and made her as small as I could. I'm just glad I don't have to create a full, plausible internal layout for this class. :rolleyes:

Speaking of plausible layouts, I can't seem to find any reference to placements for phasers, transporter emitters or torpedo launchers. I don't think we ever see this class firing torpedoes, so I could forgo installing those, but she ought to have phasers, right? I suppose those pressed half-spheres on the underside of the front of the Nacelles could be something. Phaser placements akin to the large dome on the bottom of the pre-refit Constitution class?

Anyway, here are some update pics:

untitled5_zps75bbcaa7.jpg

untitled_zpsdfad4a25.jpg

untitled4_zps446eb090.jpg

untitled3_zps34f57e9f.jpg

untitled2_zps60a68c84.jpg

untitled1_zps23de1490.jpg
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Nice work, always loved the Oberth. Unconventional and unique. :)
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    It's looking really good, nice and clean, as usual.

Maybe the crew sleeps on those 3-high bunks, like they had on the Enterprise-A and Excelsior. :shiner:

As for weapons, it had to at least have some phasers. In Star Trek III, Kirk (who, presumably, knew the class of the Grissom) asked if she would fire on the Enterprise. Also, I think we saw at least one in the DS9 opener, when they were showing the battle at Wolf 359 and one or two in the battle in Sector 001 in First Contact. Assuming those ships weren't there by accident, they were clearly there to fight. You're probably just going to have to make up placements, since the physical model had nothing that looked like weapons. I'd suggest at least one launcher, since those are used not only for torpedoes but also for launching probes, something a science ship would need to do.
  • psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    ...decent living space for 80 freaking people?

It could be that most of the crew--at least the science department--are not assigned to Oberth-classes at all, but to stations and research centers, and the Oberths are crewed only when a science team needs to go somewhere, in much the same way that people don't live on Woods Hole Oceanographic ships. In this way the Oberth can be bare bones, with roommates and hotbunking, community showers/latrines, etc.