Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStarship Okmyx

rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
edited December 2022 in Work in Progress #1
I never do Star Trek ships.

Never.

I've never been good at them, and other people have covered the subject matter more than adequately.

Yeah. Well. Okay, then. Here's a Star Trek ship. But hopefully different enough to be worth the time.

This is the Chicago Class, Starship Okmyx from Sigma Iotia II. It's a slow primitive ship that's a mix of Federation technology, and whatever devices they developed while learning to use the Federation tech. It features two "railgats", and their version of phasers (Highly Emissive Applied Transitional Energy Rectification) banks.

k17usb3y1zxz.jpg

build1120x_thumb.jpg
107304.jpg
Post edited by rojren on
Warp Propulsion Laboratory
Tagged:

• bosunbosun62 Posts: 0Member
    I'd buy into a piece of that action.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    It's a nice start. It definitely looks "close" to Federation tech, but not quite. :)
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    I like the nacelle design, the shapes used there could work well for many other details aswell.
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    Doodled around with the nacelles. I'm pretty sure I'll be replacing the hex-grid with some solid hull pieces.

build1121a_thumb.jpg
    Removed the hex grid, added panels and those one things, and that other thing.

build1122a_thumb.jpg
    Added impulse engines.

build1123a_thumb.jpg
    It's looking really good so far.
    Ideas for markings.

text_thumb.jpg
    Nice. I like the bottom one a little better, but they both look good.
    Added some windows, and stuff.

build1127x_thumb.jpg
    Added a bunch of things. Getting bored. Actually, I was bored several days ago.

build1130x_thumb.jpg build1130x1_thumb.jpg
    It's looking good.

That happens to me frequently when I'm building things, usually after the initial design phase is over and I'm doing the details. :lol:
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Yup, that does happen. It's why I have a lot of models in various stages. xD

Looks interesting, though.
    Reworked the hull markings. Turned the standard delta into a sigma. 'Wish I knew what a "Iotia" was.

build1201a_thumb.jpg
    Changed the air locks, added fixtures, sigmas and text.

build1202x1_thumb.jpg build1202x2_thumb.jpg build1202x3_thumb.jpg
    I like the airlock change, it flows with the ship better. The hull marking with the Starfleet logo is cool too.
    Yeah, I wanted this to be fairly clunky looking, but the old airlocks were just too clunky. It was really fortuitous that a sideways Enterprise/Starfleet badge could be cut into a stylized letter sigma. Fiddling with that was the most fun thing about this ship.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Love the details. :)
    Thanks Evil, and Aresius.

Added some text, and turned the railgat to the deployed position

build1205x_thumb.jpg build1205x1_thumb.jpg build1205x4_thumb.jpg
  • BMullins3BMullins30 Posts: 0Member
    Sorry, but both of those look too much like a crib of Star Fleet markings. Just one (old) man's opinion.

Question: Why use ACad when both Blender and Daz Studio are free and are made for what you are doing? Plus they both have rendering and animation capability built in.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    rojren wrote: »
    Added a bunch of things.
    build1130x1_thumb.jpg

I've always wanted to see a ventral turret like that--one with two phasers--but a torpedo turbe between and beneath both--and a sensor dome at the very bottom
    BMullins3 wrote: »
    Sorry, but both of those look too much like a crib of Star Fleet markings. Just one (old) man's opinion.

Question: Why use ACad when both Blender and Daz Studio are free and are made for what you are doing? Plus they both have rendering and animation capability built in.

That's the point, with the markings, the Iotians are extremely imitative. At the time of this ships construction, I had thought they were still imitative, but would might begin to branch out on their own a bit, and maybe get influences from other species they meet along the way. So they're still heavily influenced by "The Feds".

With AutoCAD... 25 years of experience with the software. (14+ years on a drafting table before that.) (I'm kinda old too.) Whatever I learn using it at work helps me make spacecraft, and what I learn from making spaceships makes me the CAD Wrangler at work. AutoCAD is capable of doing some pretty awesome rendering - but I haven't found tutorials that show me how to achieve those results.

I tried Blender several years ago. I had a lot of problems. My computer, at the time, did not get along with it, the interface was a nightmare, and after some documentation from the Blender people contradicted itself, they decided to take an unhelpful, less than professional, approach.

With DAZ... I remember downloading it, and I still get emails from them... I don't remember what happened.
    publiusr wrote: »
    I've always wanted to see a ventral turret like that--one with two phasers--but a torpedo turbe between and beneath both--and a sensor dome at the very bottom

Maybe a refit...
    I got the urge to go back and update/rebuild this.

build0426a-thumb.png
    Lizzy777RekkertWarp Propulsion Laboratory
    Working my way downward. Redesigned the hull a bit, added windows.

build0430-thumb.png
    Lizzy777
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Damn! I remember this one. The rebuild is looking good.
    rojren
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    rojren wrote: »
    Working my way downward. Redesigned the hull a bit, added windows.

build0430-thumb.png

I really like this… from this angle, it reminds me of the old Jefferies drawing of the “hat” Enterprise concept.

Oooh. I should have started with that.

build0504a-thumb.png
    Lizzy777
    Started on some windows, impulse decks and some heater emplacements.

build0506a-thumb.png build0506b-thumb.png
    Lizzy777
    Added some RCS thrusters, and some more interior lighting, and a few bits and pieces.

build0509a-thumb.png
    Lizzy777