Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTOS Constitution Reboot (Finished)

• ryo80ryo800 Posts: 0Member
    Hunter G wrote: »
    Messy Galileo concept anyone?
    Galileo_concept1.jpg
    I will not apologize for doodling this at work, since it only took 2 minutes. :P

Also, I'm considering doing away with the grids on the nacelles, and maybe the engineering hull, and just having them on the saucer. It kind of depends on what we decide they are though. Any thoughts?

This is really cool! I like the intake/core thingy on top of the shuttle. Have you thought about making the overall flow of the ship somewhat more aerodynamic like the mother ship? Evil_Genius and I were taking on another thread about how the original craft was much more sleek than what we ended up with. Just a thought...
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    Do I see some influence from the Vulcan Shuttle in TMP?
  • Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    edited May 2020 #424
    McC wrote: »
    The grids are ostensibly (though I can't recall if it's 100% canonical or just derived from sources like the TNGTM) how the ship projects its shields. Given this is your own take on it, of course, you don't need to stick with that, but that's generally what they're taken to be.
    I like the shuttle concept.

As for the grids, yeah the unofficial explanation is that they're the shield emitters. Though, in reality, they were added for visual interest and to detail the ship without giving it a bunch of clunky bits. I don't see why you need to have them, since it's your design.

That's what I always assumed they were. I'm trying not to thing too much about how they work, and focus more on asthetics. I've been studying the JJ-prise, and it only has grids on the saucer, which would probably mean that at least on that one, they're not the shields. I guess I just experiment some more.
    ryo80 wrote: »
    This is really cool! I like the intake/core thingy on top of the shuttle. Have you thought about making the overall flow of the ship somewhat more aerodynamic like the mother ship? Evil_Genius and I were taking on another thread about how the original craft was much more sleek than what we ended up with. Just a thought...

I'm kind of saving sleeker looks for the shuttle craft for 24th/25th century shuttles. However, I could try and make the thing a little more aerodynamic.
    Jenny wrote: »
    Do I see some influence from the Vulcan Shuttle in TMP?

I haven't seen those movies in so long, that I forgot that there even was a vulcan shuttle seen, so no. My main source of inspiration was actually some sketches I saw from John Eaves for the new Star Trek movie. I can't remember where I saw them though.

Also, I redid those thingys on the front of the engineering hull. This is more what I was going for:

G9V570k.png
    Post edited by Hunter G on
    JES
  • PsychyoPsychyo0 Posts: 0Member
    This looks absolutely amazing, I really wish I had the ability to model like that.

I have to say, I'm not the biggest fan of the TOS Enterprise. But if this was an official design, it would definitely be my favourite ship.
    There is just one thing I'm not too sure about, and that is the airlock on the engineering hull. I don't know what it is but it just doesn't look like it fits.

I can't wait to see this finished, keep up the good work man.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Speaking of the airlock, I have a question. How far in are the doors? Do they go back into the hull, or are they just inset back partly into the tube, as they appear to be? If it's the latter, there's no room for them to open.

I don't stare at the JJ design, (technically, Ryan Church designed it, but that's beside the point) so I didn't even realize that the engineering section doesn't have grids. Though, now that I think about it, you're right. It's hard to say what the grids are even supposed to be in the JJ verse, though you can certainly make them anything you want. As far as I know, the whole shield grid thing is totally a fan thing, though somebody from the crew may have mentioned it on a documentary, or it may have first appeared in a book. Either way, it's not official.
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    I always took them as being larger sections of hull panels. So maybe panels were assembled into larger panels and then added to the ships structure as a bigger piece.
    That's what I used to think they were too. After all, that's how big metal ships are built. ;) Plus, they're great for disguising wiring access panels on the models.
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    I like it!
    I kind of like the idea of large hull sections better. I think that's what the grids will be from here on out.

As far as the airlock, the doors have plenty of room to open, as I'm going with the rectangular option:

airlockscrn1.jpg
    As far as the airlock, the doors have plenty of room to open, as I'm going with the rectangular option:

airlockscrn1.jpg

That makes sense. I was just checking. :)
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    Seems about right. This still leaves plenty of space for all the mechanical parts involved in an airlock.
    Alrighty, so I've started rebuilding the mesh I have so far. This is to improve topology and reduce face count (currently at 800,000!). If I was modeling off blueprints instead of designing as I go, this project would be done 50 times faster, so standby.......

:)
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Based on what I have seen so far, it is well worth the wait.
  • SakuraTakedaSakuraTakeda1 Posts: 0Member
    I like this. you kept the lines and gave it a modern make-over. Lovely work :D
    Update:

So, crazy things have been happening. First, I tried selling Star Trek prints. For those of you who saw that, that did not work out very well, haha. I really wanted to share my artwork via with the public, so Star Trek fans could have super nice Enterprise artwork for display, and be able to give them as Christmas gifts. During that whole time, I completely forgot about copyright crap, and the thought never once crossed my mind that posting here would be soliciting. After someone mentioned that, I realized how it came across. Anyway, I'm glad that's all over. Sometimes you learn the hard way.

As far as this project goes, it has turned from simply rebooting an iconic Starship, and into a much larger project. I might post a thread for that in the writer's forum if I get the time today, so I'll let y'all know when I do. :)
    Yeah, Paramount is very clear on what they'll allow for fan art, films, etc. You can make it and release it, but you can't make money on it unless you buy a license. But, that's their right. It could be worse.

I look forward to seeing what all you have planned for this project.
  • cljohnston108cljohnston1080 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah, Paramount is very clear on what they'll allow for fan art, films, etc. You can make it and release it, but you can't make money on it unless you buy a license.
    But wasn't that nifty Tricorder app from Moonblink that CBS yanked a free one?
    Didn't I read somewhere that Roddenberry had originally instructed his lawyers that anybody trying to develop the show's gadgets into real technology was free to do so? Shame that didn't stick.
    But wasn't that nifty Tricorder app from Moonblink that CBS yanked a free one?
    Didn't I read somewhere that Roddenberry had originally instructed his lawyers that anybody trying to develop the show's gadgets into real technology was free to do so? Shame that didn't stick.

I have no idea. I never even heard of that app before now, or I forgot about it. However, CBS can get a bit nutty at times. Paramount wasn't any better before the CBS buyout. Back in the late '90s, they tried issuing cease and desist orders to everyone using anything Trek on websites with free content. Then they adopted their current stance, which isn't a standard across the board. I've seen them yank fan CG videos from YouTube, while there are entire films (made by Paramount) on there that haven't been yanked. I was working on a fan film a few months ago, and they were getting crappy about the people I was working for using the Alexander Courage TOS theme music, while other fan films use it all the time. :o Their inconsistency can be really aggravating at times.
    edited May 2020 #440
    Heaven forbid someone make an awesome fan film. If anything it would be promoting Star Trek! I think CBS tends to react to change rather than embrace it. They don't like good Star Trek ideas unless it comes from them. I'd say it's kind of similar to Blockbuster vs Netflix. While Netflix embraced streaming, Blockbuster just tried harder to keep renting DVD's more popular. Then they went out of business, haha.
    Heaven forbid someone make an awesome fan film. If anything it would be promoting Star Trek! I think CBS tends to react to change rather than embrace it. They don't like good Star Trek ideas unless it comes from them. I'd say it's kind of similar to Blockbuster vs Netflix. While Netflix embraced streaming, Blockbuster just tried harder to keep renting DVD's more popular. Then they went out of business, haha.

There are at least a few independent film makers currently developing Star Trek pilots separate from CBS that CBS will (supposedly) be considering as possible official TV series or web series. If they were so against fan film makers, they wouldn't even allow that. Plus, they have apparently always "worked with" New Voyages/Phase II. So, it's not like they're against fan film makers or fan films. They may do some odd stuff once in a while, but they're actually pretty accepting of fan art and whatnot. One thing you can't do is make money off of it without buying a license. But, the same can be said for other studios, they all want a piece of the action when it comes to their copyrighted material.
    True true. It seems like they just pick and choose when be weird about it.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    It is just what is found and picks a nit. Reality is that app used stuff clipped from lcars if I remember IE not built like many fan work and clipped audio from the shows. I am sure it might have flown under the radar otherwise. I am sure they were pulling something via adverts and some of these companies get touchy about that. Give a good look at some of the garage kits and how they flay in the face of copyright. Actually often ripping other fans off in the process. BUT many great projects are canned because it starts to drift into the make a buck legal mess or gets the attention of the copyright owners.

What Irks me is how they ignore things like these importers on ebay and the like. Id rather see them go after that than some guy selling prints or making a few bucks off garage kits and phone apps. EXP when the product is a scam or plain old garbage.

Anyhow way off topic!

As for the topic you have really picked the app up fast and done what took me years to do in a short time!

As for forum no nos just keep the TOS from when you signed up in mind it is pretty much the same everywhere in the content. And well live and learn. :D
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Yeah, I hate that pick and choose crap. But, I think it comes down to what is brought to their attention and how much of their copyrighted material is used, like Dan said.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    It is just what is found and picks a nit. Reality is that app used stuff clipped from lcars if I remember IE not built like many fan work and clipped audio from the shows. I am sure it might have flown under the radar otherwise. I am sure they were pulling something via adverts and some of these companies get touchy about that. Give a good look at some of the garage kits and how they flay in the face of copyright. Actually often ripping other fans off in the process. BUT many great projects are canned because it starts to drift into the make a buck legal mess or gets the attention of the copyright owners.

What Irks me is how they ignore things like these importers on ebay and the like. Id rather see them go after that than some guy selling prints or making a few bucks off garage kits and phone apps. EXP when the product is a scam or plain old garbage.

Anyhow way off topic!

As for the topic you have really picked the app up fast and done what took me years to do in a short time!

As for forum no nos just keep the TOS from when you signed up in mind it is pretty much the same everywhere in the content. And well live and learn. :D
    Yeah, I hate that pick and choose crap. But, I think it comes down to what is brought to their attention and how much of their copyrighted material is used, like Dan said.

Well said. I have no words. :thumb:
  • wibblewibble1122 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 493Member
    There are at least a few independent film makers currently developing Star Trek pilots separate from CBS that CBS will (supposedly) be considering as possible official TV series or web series. If they were so against fan film makers, they wouldn't even allow that. Plus, they have apparently always "worked with" New Voyages/Phase II. So, it's not like they're against fan film makers or fan films. They may do some odd stuff once in a while, but they're actually pretty accepting of fan art and whatnot. One thing you can't do is make money off of it without buying a license. But, the same can be said for other studios, they all want a piece of the action when it comes to their copyrighted material.

Well I don't have any experience with copyright issues and I certainly don't know how the folks in CBS legal department are ticking. But could it be that it is simply a question of asking politely. I could imagine that although they have the policy to let the fans do what they want as long as they don't make money with it, that they get pissed if you try to fly under radar and don't ask them for permission.
    I don't know, I've never dealt with them directly. I only know of some of the things they do through secondhand sources. Some of the videos and stuff I know they've taken down included a certain amount of their copyrighted work that has been used, such as scenes and music from the movies. I've never heard of them taking down completely fan made films. The thing on the one I was working on where they didn't want us using the TOS theme music may have been a copyright thing. It was one of those films wanting to do the pilot thing and submit it to CBS (I have no idea if that is still the plan.) CBS may not have wanted to pay Alexander Courage's estate for the use of the music. But, then they did some other weird stuff, like claiming we couldn't use a certain color of gold, and weird stuff like that. I don't think you can copyright colors, but I may be wrong about that.
    edited May 2020 #448
    Hey guys! It's been a while, but I thought I'd dump some progress images before I take a break from this project to work on a commission. I don't know how long it will be until I get back to this one, but it won't be for a while. So here ya go:

NCAmhLT.png
    FCPwsoA.png
  • McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Yes, that. ^^
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    That is so freakin' sweet!