Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

PracticalTIE Advanced x1 Fine Molds 1:72

PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
edited September 2014 in Work in Progress #1
Started on this thing on Friday...

YVlPxKY.jpg
rA714ge.jpg
yD0UPC6.jpg
106806.jpg
Post edited by PixelMagic on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Sweet. On of the best space vehicles ever. :D

I'm really loving all of these great physical model builds you've been sharing with us lately. :)
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    Got primer laid down. This thing will hopefully start to take shape tomorrow.

NAcE5gH.jpg
    Looking good. I can't wait to see this beauty come together. :D
    Main color down. Still working on the black solar panels. They are a little messy at the moment.

X2PCea6.jpg
    Messy is fun. ;)
    Messy is fun. ;)

It's just that they are hard to mask all at once and get clean lines. So I have to mask one side for clean lines, and the other has to be unkept. Then when that is dry, I'll mask them the opposite way to get clean lines on the other side. It'll work out in the end. :)
    PixelMagic wrote: »
    It's just that they are hard to mask all at once and get clean lines. So I have to mask one side for clean lines, and the other has to be unkept. Then when that is dry, I'll mask them the opposite way to get clean lines on the other side. It'll work out in the end. :)

It makes sense to me. Though, I have to say, that's one thing I always hated about painting was masking, especially tiny model parts. At least these are bigger sections.
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    Looks great! Can I ask what color blue/grey you used?
    stonky wrote: »
    Looks great! Can I ask what color blue/grey you used?

Heh, well, here's the thing. I first tried to use Tamiya XF-23 Light Blue lightened with white. For some reason, this came out GREEN once it dried! This pissed me off greatly.

qEwVjJV.jpg

So what I did then, was take Vallejo Light Blue, and lighted it with Vallejo White. 3 parts white to 1 part Light Blue. I oversprayed this over the green. This mix seemed to nail the exact studio model blue I was after.

7VwTUPy.jpg
    106908.jpg
    It's interesting how the colors mixed to get the color you wanted. That looks pretty spot-on for the color they used on the TIE fighters. :)
    It's interesting how the colors mixed to get the color you wanted. That looks pretty spot-on for the color they used on the TIE fighters. :)

Well, the blue color pretty much completely covered the green leaving no trace. My color is lighter than the blue than the studio model, and that is by design. The smaller in scale a model is, the less contrast and intensity you can have in the colors. Otherwise it starts to look toy like.

For instance, the black solar panels on my model are in fact very very dark gray, but not black. Black would look too out of scale for something so small. Likewise, my blue is the same hue as the studio model, but a lighter shade.

More detail here...

http://www.cybermodeler.com/color/scale_effect.shtml
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    Good stuff!
    Ok, so I said the wrong paint colors in my previous post. The colors I used are 2 parts White and 1 part Grey Blue, both Vallejo Model Color. I meant to have updates by now, but the weekend got busy. I'm probably about 5 more hours of work from finishing this thing.
    Almost ready for assembly.

iHCuXJ6.jpg
    Looking great. Are you going to do a bit of weathering on it or leave it clean?
    Looking great. Are you going to do a bit of weathering on it or leave it clean?

I might weather, but it will be very subtle. I don't like dirty imperial vessels.
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    PixelMagic wrote: »
    I might weather, but it will be very subtle. I don't like dirty imperial vessels.

And it's Vader's ship, so you can bet the grunts kept it showroom clean.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    They'd better, or there'll be Hell to pay.

:p
    Vader comes in, some technician is cleaning his fighter. He sees a spot the guy missed and starts Force choking him.

"You have failed me for the last time..."

;)

Seriously, I agree that Imp ships should be clean. They had the big budget and massive forces. It was the Rebel Alliance who were all ragtag, so their stuff should be dirtier.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Plus with the initial design concept it was unsure whether TIE Fighters would even see atmospheric flight being launched from Imperial cruisers and space installations, and might have been purely space borne fighters, and if that had been the case they'd be less likely to get dirty or weathered. Of course now we know that TIEs are used in atmo, so clearly the Imperial starfleet has a killer valet service.

;)
    Eyes went cross painting this guy and especially his chest plate!

TnA0OeA.jpg
    Yeah, I'll bet they did. He looks great, though. That's some awesome detail work.
    And done.

iUZqdRC.jpg
    s2wXqdN.jpg
    wjMTvjI.jpg
    PEkvi4l.jpg
    That stand is really cool, way better than a lot of model stands that tend to suck and the models fall off (especially the Star Trek ones.)

Great job on everything, it looks fantastic. :thumb: This is still one of my favorite ships of all time and the best looking TIE fighter, in my opinion.
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Well done! I agree with Evil about it being a favorite ship. It's bad ass and looks like it is zooming along even when standing still.
    Thanks guys. I'm not fully happy with this build because I messed up a couple of things here and there along the way, but overall it looks nice I suppose. I ordered another one just in case I have want a second go at it. :p