Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTALON's Character Stuff

TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
edited September 2014 in Work in Progress #1
So with this thread I'm going to be (as the title suggests) looking at character work. I've just had to look at learning Zbrush for work, and I'll post various examples of the results here charting my development. First up are a few images of a WIP character bust based partially on a tutorial I'm working through, and a little on an alien design that I've created a while back which I thought might be an appropriate place to start when developing my character work. Hopefully we'll see some solid progress as we move on (better do anyhow, have to be able to teach others how to use this software in a couple of weeks :argh:).

Anyhow here's the first update on my first Zbrush character work, be kind.

:lol:

Here's a rough sketch of my original character design:

Torsh.jpg

And here's the WIP so far:

WIP_Character_Bust_01.jpg

WIP_Character_Bust_02.jpg

WIP_Character_Bust_03.jpg
106868.jpg
Post edited by TALON_UK on

• MartocticvsMartocticvs444 Posts: 524Member
    Fantastic start! We don't see enough of this kind of thing here :) Looks a lot happier than the concept so far though!
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks! Heh, and don't worry, that'll change.

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Dude, that's a really great start. I'm envious because I've tried sculpting software and I could never get good results like that with any of it.
    We don't see enough of this kind of thing here :)

That's because most of us don't know how to do it. :lol:
  • jay-mojay-mo0 Posts: 0Member
    Zbrush is very addicting. I can't wait to try out those new features in 4r7. You're off to a great start. Zbrush central forum is a great resource for learning.
    Yeah, it's a proper bitch to get started with, especially if you're used to other more standard 3d packages such as 3DSMax or Maya, but once you get over that steep learning curve and start to see results? Yeah, it's pretty rewarding.

I'll be checking out the Zbrush Central Forums now I've got the basics down.

Thanks for the kind words chaps.

;)
    My problem is I've just never been that good at sculpting, even with clay. :shiner: I tried Sculptris when it first came out (before it was a Pixologic product) and I tried it again last year, but I just don't get it. I should probably check out some tutorials or something sometime. ;)
    It does have a steep learning curve EG, without a few different tutorials to guide me I'd have been totally lost to begin with, but once you get over it, it can become a right pleasure to use, still just getting started with the thing really, but am already getting some fairly pleasing results now. Just about done with this first piece which I used to get a solid handle on the sculpting, still a lot to learn on that front, but a solid start I hope. Now I'm going to have a look at some of the other aspects of the program that I need to become familiar with. So with this update two stages are on show, the first detail pass on the facial features, and then what I'll consider the finished sculpt for this piece, for now at least.

First detail pass:

WIP_Character_Bust_09.jpg

WIP_Character_Bust_08.jpg

WIP_Character_Bust_07.jpg

Finished sculpt (for now):

WIP_Character_Bust_10.jpg

WIP_Character_Bust_12.jpg

WIP_Character_Bust_11.jpg

WIP_Character_Bust_13.jpg

WIP_Character_Bust_14.jpg

WIP_Character_Bust_15.jpg

With the difference between this final design and my initial concept I've had a few ideas of where it could go. Initially this was based off of my design partially, and partially on the character design I was doing a tutorial of. The character is meant to be a mutated/augmented example of his race. A criminal overlord's main muscle, augmented into the ultimate warrior via some shady genetic engineering or something along those lines. With that in mind this could very well be what the character's species would look like normally before that augmentation. If I do go down that route then at some point I may do a second version of this sculpt which veers closer to my original design. Or this could be a more practical and realistic interpretation of that original more outlandish design sketch, am in two minds about it, but we'll see I guess.
    Nice job. :thumb:
  • DaemoriaDaemoria331 Posts: 0Member
    Very solid work. Just one thing...why the red wax matcap? :C
    There are much better ones out there for display purposes, the matcaps Ralph Stumpf released come to mind. The redwax material has a flattening effect on your surface under certain light angles, there are some matcaps out there that offer nice blinn/phong like properties for full shading.
    Thanks, as far as the material is concerned it is only my first model, so although I've had a quick experiment with other materials I've just kept it as standard for now, but might try other materials later, any good default ones you can suggest?
  • DaemoriaDaemoria331 Posts: 0Member
    http://pixologic.com/zbrush/downloadcenter/library/
    Check the above link for a listing of free matcaps put up for public use. I recommend using either a Matte or Shiny category matcap for personal use while sculpting.

When displaying your work to other people, you have plenty of options, I like to keep it simple when showing off meshes, but I've seen some interesting bronze materials that look good.
    Cheers for the link, will check it out and have a bit of a play once I get the chance.

[EDIT:]

Okay, had a quick play with a few materials and I found this dirty bronze looks quite cool for display purposes. Will have to go a little more in depth into the rendering aspect of the software at some point, but these are pretty nice results.

WIP_Character_Bust_16.jpg

WIP_Character_Bust_18.jpg

WIP_Character_Bust_19.jpg

WIP_Character_Bust_20.jpg

Though these were quite fun too...

WIP_Character_Bust_22.jpg

WIP_Character_Bust_23.jpg

WIP_Character_Bust_24.jpg
    Dirty bronze is a good choice. The blue is nice, but there are a LOT of blue aliens out there. ;)
    Heh, well yeah, the material was called Avatar.

:p
    Funny, I didn't even think about that film. I thought of Star Trek, Star Wars and The Fifth Element. All of those have had blue aliens. ;)
  • MartocticvsMartocticvs444 Posts: 524Member
    Not forgetting Mass Effect, of course...
    Heh, I guess the colour blue is just in vogue across the galaxy. Does look cool.
    A couple years ago, I was playing Star Trek Online while my niece was visiting. My character was talking to an Andorian and my niece goes:

"She's blue. That's weird."

Not forgetting Mass Effect, of course...

Good call. I was forgetting ME.
    Okay, so here are a few shots of the next bit I'm working on, getting to grips with doing a hand, not entirely happy with the overall shape, some of the fingers look a little off, but I'll work on it, all good practice. I've also got a base humanoid mesh I'm working on, but want to add a little more refinement to that before showing it, so here's where I'm at now, all crits welcome.

WIP_Character_Hand_05.jpg

WIP_Character_Hand_06.jpg

WIP_Character_Hand_07.jpg

WIP_Character_Hand_09.jpg

WIP_Character_Hand_08.jpg

WIP_Character_Hand_10.jpg

WIP_Character_Hand_11.jpg

WIP_Character_Hand_12.jpg
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    the colour of a creature will depend on the colour of it's environment, if the first photosynthetic organisms to evolve on the species's home planet used a blue pigment it is reasonable to expect the creatures to evolve to be blue coloured so they can be better camouflaged. Nice sculpting, great to see all the detailed skin features and such.