Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTOS Constitution Reboot (Finished)

• Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    Saquist wrote: »
    Wow that's a nice rear angle but I'm started how different the bussard collectors look when you can see the whole nacelle.. I'll attempt to point on the wedge shaped tapers behind the the collectors later but honestlyl this is vision.

Your complete vision of what this may look like at the end may bee completely different from mind but it's clearly a heck of beginning.

Oh good! With the front end I see three places that you could be talking about. Is it one of these areas?

nac_scrn_2.png
    Schimpfy wrote: »
    Wow. Beautiful work there, Hunter. I like how you're using the original schematics as a template. Also, the way you took Saquist's idea and ran with it looks really good. Are you going to have a bit more of a bluish tint to it or will the lighting kind of stay as is?

I personally like it white (of course it won't be pure white, as that does not exist).
    Tralfaz wrote: »
    The bussard animation looks great. This is going to be one beautiful ship once it is all done.

Good to hear!
    edited May 2020 #393
    Well, I'm just about ready to wrap up the nacelles. I finished deleting unnecessary edge loops and cleaning up the geometry. I managed to get the face count of both nacelles and pylons from 1,124,124 down to 844,828.Now I'm just adding some finishing touches that will be too small to warrant renders. Once that's done, I will start on the texturing. I'll have to do some material tests first to find a good look for the ship, so you might see some of those here. Other than that, you won't see any more updates for a while. So here are some HD renders of the finished nacelle to sign out with:

arSJteZ.png
    3JI6All.png
    Post edited by Hunter G on
    JES
  • McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    Hunter G wrote: »
    Oh good! With the front end I see three places that you could be talking about. Is it one of these areas?

nac_scrn_2.png

I personally like it white (of course it won't be pure white, as that does not exist).

Good to hear!

Yeah that's what I was talking about. There was a lot of tapering in that area. But I'm still liking were it's going.
  • 1701TPA1701TPA5 Posts: 0Member
    Haha! The "balls" need a new name. ;)

And as promised, the fuzzy bussards!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15846346/bussard_test0001-0082.mp4

Beautiful model and design work here Hunter:thumb::thumb::thumb:

with a fresh take on nacelle design cues seen in both MKF's older model here that he has refreshed:
    http://madkoifish.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/lethe-te-222.jpg
    and Ricky Wallace's 1701 Prime Alternative from early 2010 here
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/a4yhc9fcq7k5w2a/PlanetsTest_HD.wmv

Love your work and looking forward to your next update : )
    edited May 2020 #397
    Thanks!

So I finally did some texture testing. I might do some more experimenting, but here is what I've got so far:

Sz1Pco0.png
    JES
  • 1701TPA1701TPA5 Posts: 0Member
    Most Welcome!!!
    New Texture testing is looking good :D
    edited May 2020 #399
    I started texturing the nacelle, but I decided to redo the UVs, since I found a better way to do them.

In the mean time, I started work on the deflector. The spike is more or less just a place holder right now, since I don't exactly know what I want it to look like.

1SKYHoq.png
    JES
  • MartocticvsMartocticvs444 Posts: 524Member
    Detailing on the dish looks very nice. Are you planning on any illumination in there?
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    The dish looks good.
  • madman1701amadman1701a339 Posts: 366Member
    Looks great... I really like the way the spike looks, too. Much better than the usual cylindrical type. :)

-Ricky
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice progress
    Detailing on the dish looks very nice. Are you planning on any illumination in there?

Behind the dish? Probably not. I might try it though.
    Looks great... I really like the way the spike looks, too. Much better than the usual cylindrical type. :)

-Ricky

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out a way to do it so that it doesn't look too much like the spikes on the bussard domes:

nacelle-17.png

Unless the dish spike is the same kind of technology as the nacelle ones. What do you guys think?
    Ok, I'm stuck again. This time with texturing. I thought I'd ask if anyone has advice on texture mapping. I need to be able to create a hull plating layout that is very precise. I've figured out how to create the panels themselves and the proper materials. The only thing I can't figure out is mapping them properly, so the grunge-like textures don't get stretched, but the panels fall into specific pre-determined places. Any pointers?
  • TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
    One way to differentiate the needle on the dish from the nacelles is to make it more like an actual emitter with a wider flare at the end.
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    Ok, I'm stuck again. This time with texturing. I thought I'd ask if anyone has advice on texture mapping. I need to be able to create a hull plating layout that is very precise. I've figured out how to create the panels themselves and the proper materials. The only thing I can't figure out is mapping them properly, so the grunge-like textures don't get stretched, but the panels fall into specific pre-determined places. Any pointers?

I'm unsure if I got you right. Can you show an image of the 3d model and your UV layout of that section?
  • VK08VK083 Posts: 0Member
    This whole thing reminds me i have to get back to updoing Gabe's.. ^_^
  • madman1701amadman1701a339 Posts: 366Member
    Behind the dish? Probably not. I might try it though.

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out a way to do it so that it doesn't look too much like the spikes on the bussard domes:

nacelle-17.png

Unless the dish spike is the same kind of technology as the nacelle ones. What do you guys think?

I think that looks great. As long as the details are different on the Dish Spike, I don't think it has to be the same kind of tech. On the dish, you would want some kind of transmitter / receiver thing at the end of spike if it is supposed to work at all like a real dish.

-Ricky
    Good ideas for the spike. I'll try to design a spike with a kind of emitter/antenna at the end. I think that will give it the right look.

As far as the UV layout, I don't really have anything to show, since all my best efforts were not working. So far the "cylinder unwrap" option seems to be the most promising. I might actually use two separate UV maps. One for the panels, and one for the light grunge. Or I could try texture painting. I'll just have to do some more studying on all of this.
    I always just use a cylindrical mapper on the main body of the TOS-style nacelles. I save unwrapping for some of the little greeble bits. Of course, using a cylindrical mapper requires you to do a bit of math to figure out the size and where stuff like panels, pendants, etc. should go, but it's not difficult math.
    I would use that, but I wouldn't be able to bake the AO to see where objects intersect. Unless someone knows a way to do that?
    edited May 2020 #413
    Bam, did the engineering hull grids.

RI16Q0h.png
    JES
    Looks like fun. It looks good too.
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Hi Hunter,

I can't get over how clean and crisp your model is. Really loving this new Enterprise.

Out of everything I have seen so far, there is just one area that kind of bothers me (and it's just a little bothersome). In the attached photo, I think it would look better if the wider gap was closer together and the narrower gap were farther apart between the curve and panel line. This is just my opinion.

Really looking forward to seeing this completed and textured. It's going to look outstanding. JJ should be watching these forums for inspiration in his movie models. I wonder how much it cost him to come up with the design and model for his reboot Enterprise.
    107064.png
  • SylkRodeSylkRode0 Posts: 0Member
    I weep at the beauty. Keep up the good work.
    Looks like fun. It looks good too.
    SylkRode wrote: »
    I weep at the beauty. Keep up the good work.

Thanks! It was loads of fun! :argh:
    Tralfaz wrote: »
    Hi Hunter,

I can't get over how clean and crisp your model is. Really loving this new Enterprise.

Out of everything I have seen so far, there is just one area that kind of bothers me (and it's just a little bothersome). In the attached photo, I think it would look better if the wider gap was closer together and the narrower gap were farther apart between the curve and panel line. This is just my opinion.

Really looking forward to seeing this completed and textured. It's going to look outstanding. JJ should be watching these forums for inspiration in his movie models. I wonder how much it cost him to come up with the design and model for his reboot Enterprise.

That little space is where the airlock will go ;).
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    That little space is where the airlock will go ;).

I should have figured out you would have a use for it. You have everything else so well planned out. Really loving this...
    edited May 2020 #419
    Messy Galileo concept anyone?
    BXolRgM.jpg
    I will not apologize for doodling this at work, since it only took like 2 minutes. :P

Also, I'm considering doing away with the grids on the nacelles, and maybe the engineering hull, and just having them on the saucer. It kind of depends on what we decide they are though. Any thoughts?
    JESSoul Scream
  • McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    Messy Galileo concept anyone?
    Galileo_concept1.jpg
    I will not apologize for doodling this at work, since it only took 2 minutes. :P
    Nice! :D
    Also, I'm considering doing away with the grids on the nacelles, and maybe the engineering hull, and just having them on the saucer. It kind of depends on what we decide they are though. Any thoughts?
    The grids are ostensibly (though I can't recall if it's 100% canonical or just derived from sources like the TNGTM) how the ship projects its shields. Given this is your own take on it, of course, you don't need to stick with that, but that's generally what they're taken to be.
    I like the shuttle concept.

As for the grids, yeah the unofficial explanation is that they're the shield emitters. Though, in reality, they were added for visual interest and to detail the ship without giving it a bunch of clunky bits. I don't see why you need to have them, since it's your design.