Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTOS Constitution Reboot (Finished)

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I really like how that's looking. Realistically, if the dome is lit and only partly transparent, you wouldn't see much of the inner stuff beyond what's lit. You could increase your transparency setting, then some of that stuff should become more visible, but then you'd lose the effect you have now.
  • Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    McC wrote: »
    Looks great! :thumb:

I'd recommend a straight 50/50 mix of a Glass and a Transparent shader for your dome. Maybe throw in a mix with a Translucent for added filtration, but Glass+Transparent tends to look pretty nice.
    I really like how that's looking. Realistically, if the dome is lit and only partly transparent, you wouldn't see much of the inner stuff beyond what's lit. You could increase your transparency setting, then some of that stuff should become more visible, but then you'd lose the effect you have now.

Yeah, it's kind of a lose/lose situation with the details. I won't bother texturing the inside of the bussards, since that would be a waste. I will probably go in and make the shapes low poly, since having them sub-d is also a waste if you can't really see them.
    edited May 2020 #364
    Today's update:

I redid the warp grill to look a little more like the original, but with some back lighting.

JomSJoF.png

I also reworked the bussards. I finally got it to look how I wanted it. :thumb:

D9N43mG.png
    Post edited by Hunter G on
    JES
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Very impressive. Would love to see that animated.
    Tralfaz wrote: »

I second that. :)
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    It's not perfect but my God. It's getting close to what should have been in the Reboot Movies.
    A design that update the TOS WITHOUT creating a TMP downgrade.

That's a very important distinction.
    The original Constitution has a character ALL it's own and I for one believe it deserved a proper re envisioning that captures it's unique essence rather than redoing what has already been redone.
    edited May 2020 #368
    Tralfaz wrote: »
    I second that. :)

Man, now I wish I had a render farm so I could animate it.
    Saquist wrote: »
    It's not perfect but my God. It's getting close to what should have been in the Reboot Movies.
    A design that update the TOS WITHOUT creating a TMP downgrade.

That's a very important distinction.
    The original Constitution has a character ALL it's own and I for one believe it deserved a proper re envisioning that captures it's unique essence rather than redoing what has already been redone.

Took the words right out of my mouth. :thumb:

I blocked out the engineering hull, but it's not enough work to merit a high quality render, so here:

hXWAiNR.png
    JES
    That looks slick. :thumb:
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    Hunter G wrote: »
    Man, now I wish I had a render farm so I could animate it.

Are the bussard blades supposed to rotate?
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    Beautiful work!
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Looking great!
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    Sweet!

Are you planning to include a docking port, like the Phase II and TMP designs did?
    Today's update:

I redid the warp grill to look a little more like the original, but with some back lighting.

nacelle-12.png

Hunter,

I also reworked the bussards. I finally got it to look how I wanted it. :thumb:

nacelle-13.png

A little feed back to as you see fit:
    -I think your take on the collector is perfect
    -The two upper brackets above the collector feel like an unnecessary taper as it meets the collector (I say this because the theme of the Constitution is more simple cylinders circles and squares. It's very efficient. It's okay to taper and refine some places like the cylinder behind the red collector and under those Node Brackets that changes the aspect)
    -The twin intercoolers near the back top of the nacelles is very familiar and updated
    -I think the Inboard Primary Intercooler may be just a little too pronouced. I also think that vents that show blue would ONLY be appropriate if you direct them aft so you only see them as the ship is moving away but not when it's coming toward you. (It maintains the proud Constitution look of those vibrant Brussard Collectors.)
  • jay-mojay-mo0 Posts: 0Member
    I like where this is going. Would love to see all the pieces together at this point, see how it all fits.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Thank you!

I finished up the detail on the nacelle and moved on to the pylon. If you see anything you think I should change so far, speak now!

nacelle-10.png

The best part of it is the base for the nacelle support pylon.

In terms of physical modeling, an aftermarket piece like that could fix the AMT nacelle droop.
    publiusr wrote: »

In terms of physical modeling, an aftermarket piece like that could fix the AMT nacelle droop.

Indeed,
    I hadn't seen that. something familar should be at the opposite end but that pylon mount to the secondary Hull is simple and fortifying for the Constitution's Fragile look and doesn't intrude on the design.
    nightfever wrote: »
    Are the bussard blades supposed to rotate?

Yes!
    lennier1 wrote: »
    Sweet!

Are you planning to include a docking port, like the Phase II and TMP designs did?

If you mean airlocks, then yes!
    A little feed back to as you see fit:
    -I think your take on the collector is perfect
    -The two upper brackets above the collector feel like an unnecessary taper as it meets the collector (I say this because the theme of the Constitution is more simple cylinders circles and squares. It's very efficient. It's okay to taper and refine some places like the cylinder behind the red collector and under those Node Brackets that changes the aspect)
    -The twin intercoolers near the back top of the nacelles is very familiar and updated
    -I think the Inboard Primary Intercooler may be just a little too pronouced. I also think that vents that show blue would ONLY be appropriate if you direct them aft so you only see them as the ship is moving away but not when it's coming toward you. (It maintains the proud Constitution look of those vibrant Brussard Collectors.)

I don't quite understand what you're referring to with the unnecessary taper, could you perhaps illustrate?
    I see what you mean about the inboard coolers. Looking at my reference image again, they definitely stick out too far. I'll go ahead scale them in.
    As far as the warp grill, that is a good idea. I'll make the vertical shafts slightly slanted on the z axis so the glow is more visible from the back than the front.
    jay-mo wrote: »
    I like where this is going. Would love to see all the pieces together at this point, see how it all fits.

I'm kind of waiting until the whole model is finished to do a full view render, but I suppose I could do one of the nacelles and the current engineering hull.
    publiusr wrote: »

Indeed,
    I hadn't seen that. something familar should be at the opposite end but that pylon mount to the secondary Hull is simple and fortifying for the Constitution's Fragile look and doesn't intrude on the design.

Yeah, I carried the mounts over from version 5 and 6, since I thought they provided a more secure look to the base of the pylons. ;) I might add a smaller one where the pylon meets the nacelle.
    edited May 2020 #379
    Ok, I made some changes. All you get are fuzzy renders. :P

Here is the new warp grill from a front angle and a back angle. As you can see, the glow is brighter from the back. Also notice the scaled in intercoolers.

VRa9xzI.png
    NNXTJrg.png

And here is a shot of the entire thing so far:

tAvHee8.png

A fuzzy bussard animation is coming too. :)
    JES
  • BlobVanDamBlobVanDam0 Posts: 0Member
    Dayam, that is looking gorgeous in that last render. You've done a great job of making it look detailed, while still looking uncluttered and functional. One of the best alternate Enteprise designs I've seen.
    That's a really great looking treatment. The only thing that looks out of place to me is the 'balls' at the end of the nacelles. They feel a little too exposed.
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Simply beautiful and well

:thumb:
  • BlobVanDamBlobVanDam0 Posts: 0Member
    Vortex5972 wrote: »
    That's a really great looking treatment. The only thing that looks out of place to me is the 'balls' at the end of the nacelles. They feel a little too exposed.

*snicker* exposed balls *snicker*

Actually, I sorta agree, although I think they look totally fine as is anyway.
    Vortex5972 wrote: »

That's odd, since they are no more exposed than the original:

nac_scrnshot_1.jpg

Maybe it's because you're not used to the cove in the back, allowing you to see the whole thing, as the original was "submerged".
    So, are we saying the nacelles need some tighty whities? :p (sorry, I couldn't resist :devil:)

It's looking great, Hunter. I especially like the render of the secondary hull and nacelles together.
    Haha! The "balls" need a new name. ;)

And as promised, the fuzzy bussards!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15846346/bussard_test0001-0082.mp4
    Space Energy/Matter Source (Field Restoration)

Nice animation. :)
    Maybe it's because you're not used to the cove in the back, allowing you to see the whole thing, as the original was "submerged".

That could be it.

Now then, build that thing some Y-fronts. :p
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Wow. Beautiful work there, Hunter. I like how you're using the original schematics as a template. Also, the way you took Saquist's idea and ran with it looks really good. Are you going to have a bit more of a bluish tint to it or will the lighting kind of stay as is?
    Ok, I made some changes. All you get are fuzzy renders. :P

Here is the new warp grill from a front angle and a back angle. As you can see, the glow is brighter from the back. Also notice the scaled in intercoolers.

nacelle-14-1.png
    nacelle-14-2.png

And here is a shot of the entire thing so far:

eng_nac-1.png

A fuzzy bussard animation is coming too. :)

Wow that's a nice rear angle but I'm started how different the bussard collectors look when you can see the whole nacelle.. I'll attempt to point on the wedge shaped tapers behind the the collectors later but honestlyl this is vision.

Your complete vision of what this may look like at the end may bee completely different from mind but it's clearly a heck of beginning.
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    The bussard animation looks great. This is going to be one beautiful ship once it is all done.