Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTOS Constitution Reboot (Finished)

• Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Or up it to four. Maybe she alternates banks. Fires one while the other recharges.
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    I did not find a better way to enhance my bump maps than to crank up the texture resolution or to model them.
    While writing this, the cue 'vector based images' came to my mind. Maybe it's worth to evaluate (?)
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    I concur with Evil Genius...even with the four emitters I think it's a good hardpoint and makes sense to have backups even if they couldn't fire both pairs simultaneously.
    ---
    Also the Ring lighting is reminesiant of the original Excelsior's lower dome lighting...
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Vortex5972 wrote: »
    Or up it to four. Maybe she alternates banks. Fires one while the other recharges.

I'm fairly certain that is seen in the episode Balance of Terror. Kirk orders a specific numbered set of phaser banks to fire, followed by a different numbered set. The alternation of phaser banks suggests a recharge time, or at least an attempt to avoid overheating.
  • Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    wibble wrote: »
    I guess that's what I was trying to say in Post #271. You just found the more striking words. But I also have to say that to myself all the time. It's really hard not to get frustrated if you see all the pros around here who are continually bumping out awesome work. So don't worry, you are showing great work here and if it's done it will be done.

I can't give you any advice for bump maps 'cause I haven't come to the point yet where I have to use them.
    But maybe this helps. (In case you don't know that already)

http://www.blenderguru.com/videos/the-secrets-of-realistic-texturing/

unfortunately he hasn't a sepecific bump map tutorial but he is speaking frequently about bump mapping in several of his videos. And he is making really good tutorials, so it can't harm to watch them. As I said, if you havn't allready.

I remember that post. Good advice then, good advice now!

As far as the tutorial, I'l have to watch that again to see if he has some ideas in there.
    If you quit starting over, you may actually finish. :p

Having said that, I really like the dome. Though, I'd flip it and put it under the saucer. Here's one reason: in TOS, we saw the phasers coming from that general vicinity in more than one episode. These things look like they'd make great phaser emitters:

Attachment not found.

They're roughly phaser shaped and you have several of them arranged in a circle. Plus, they have grooves in which they can move and reposition themselves to fire. Based on the dialog from several episodes, we know the Enterprise was supposed to have several phaser emitters, so these fit the bill quite nicely, in my opinion.

But, that's just my two cents. :)
    Sanderlee wrote: »
    Evil's got a point. Those would make for lovely phaser banks ... just drop 'em from three per slot to two (since we never see The Old Lady fire more than two at a time).
    Vortex5972 wrote: »
    Saquist wrote: »
    I concur with Evil Genius...even with the four emitters I think it's a good hardpoint and makes sense to have backups even if they couldn't fire both pairs simultaneously.
    ---
    Also the Ring lighting is reminesiant of the original Excelsior's lower dome lighting...
    I'm fairly certain that is seen in the episode Balance of Terror. Kirk orders a specific numbered set of phaser banks to fire, followed by a different numbered set. The alternation of phaser banks suggests a recharge time, or at least an attempt to avoid overheating.

With the phaser banks, I'll be placing them more like there are placed on the refit, as that configuration makes a lot more sense to me. Creating four emitters on each bank instead of two is a good idea, I think I'll go with it!
    nightfever wrote: »
    I did not find a better way to enhance my bump maps than to crank up the texture resolution or to model them.
    While writing this, the cue 'vector based images' came to my mind. Maybe it's worth to evaluate (?)

I tried one format of vector image, but it didn't work. I still want to explore that option further with other formats. If I figure something out, I'll let you know, because it would be very helpful to a lot of people. ;)
    Before I forget, I did manage to create a decent space skybox. The stars aren't very visible, so I definitely need to brighten them up.
    I'll be using Madman's Defiant-A to render some more test footage with it later.
    Damn! That looks awesome!

With regards to the number of emitters, also consider what the beam would look like. The four emitters would make sense for a cool down time with a continuous beam, with two emitters like on the refit, the beams are no more like pulses, possibly negating the recharge/cool down time a bit.
    edited May 2020 #339
    At long last, I'm back working on this project! I decided to start with the nacelles this time, since I kept getting stuck on the saucer. Here is a rough draft of the nacelle mesh. I after I finish this, I will retopologize this to add some subtle grid lines and other small details. My goal is to keep the hull smooth, with selective detail. This means I'll keep details in concentrated areas, similar to the refit. I apologize for the fuzziness, I didn't want to do full renders on these WIP images.

hUhl2Dx.png

And the bussard details:

0Vv3F1z.png
    Post edited by Hunter G on
    JES
  • McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    Hooray! Delighted to see you back :D
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    Cooooool!
    BTW, does anyone know how to edit the thread title? That typo has been driving me insane!
    That's a really nice nacelle design.
    Hunter G wrote: »
    BTW, does anyone know how to edit the thread title? That typo has been driving me insane!

You have to ask a moderator or admin to do it.
    Very nice nacelles. Has a faint touch of MadKoi aesthetic to it, especially the front end. Awesome stuff.
    Glad you like the design!

I'll have to message a moderator to get that fixed then.
    edited May 2020 #346
    I finished the grid lines. Now I'm working on the back end of the nacelle.

hUhl2Dx.png
    JES
    Fantastic! I've always loved the Constituion class. :p
    edited May 2020 #349
    Here is the aft section:

zOwMKv6.png
    JES
  • StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    Fantastic! Nice modeling.
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Aye, cracking job there.

:thumb:
    It's really looking great. I like the details.
    edited May 2020 #353
    Thank you!

I finished up the detail on the nacelle and moved on to the pylon. If you see anything you think I should change so far, speak now!

JUq4aC4.png
    5No3iWy.png
    zGmTEjy.png
    JES
    Hunter G wrote: »
    If you see anything you think I should change so far, speak now!

I think you should keep going with what looks good to you, because you're doing a friggin' fantastic job so far. :thumb:
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    I think you should keep going with what looks good to you, because you're doing a friggin' fantastic job so far. :thumb:

Seconded.
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    I think you should change it all because you are making us look bad! :D

Awesome work Hunter. I like how the pylons have a bit of TOS and TMP mixed together along with your own design touches. Your attention to detail is excellent.
    Daaaaaaamn, Hunter. :o
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Loving the look of this. Nice work.
    edited May 2020 #359
    Hmm, I'm getting the vibe that I'm on the right track. ;)

Here are some updates:

I cut the thrusters into the mesh, as opposed to having them stick out, which I think looks better now. I'm now trying to figure out a material for the bussard dome. Here's what I got:

IiOdL6C.png

However, I want to figure out how to get the bussard details to show through the dome. There not much point to them if you can't see them. If not, oh well.
    JES
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    the nacelle looks great. really nice greebling and other surface details.
    Looks great! :thumb:

I'd recommend a straight 50/50 mix of a Glass and a Transparent shader for your dome. Maybe throw in a mix with a Translucent for added filtration, but Glass+Transparent tends to look pretty nice.