Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DOrbital Space Office Complex - TMP

TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
edited August 2014 in Work in Progress #1
Hi folks,

I am taking a break from doing starships for a while and was thinking of doing a model of the orbital space office complex from Star Trek TMP. Having trouble finding some good high res or detailed drawings of the complex. Found a bunch of screen grabs, which I can also do from my copy of the movie. Also found Tobias's WIP of the complex which helps a lot. If anyone knows where I can find good reference material and drawings, please let me know here.

Thanks in advance...
Al
106652.jpg
Post edited by Tralfaz on
StarCruiserscifieric
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Unfortunately, it's really hard to find good references for this model, because they modified it to be the Regula 1 station in Star Trek II and it pretty much stayed in that configuration. I'll check some sources and see if I can dig up anything for the orbital complex. Though, they're likely to be 36 year old photos.
    scifieric
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated Chris. The screen grabs are pretty dark, so will take them into Photoshop to see if I can pull more detail out of them.
    scifieric
    Unfortunately, this is one of the most difficult Trek models to find images of and references for. There's not a lot available on it, even for the Regula and later versions.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/orbital-office.htm
    106634.jpg106635.jpg
    scifieric
    Thanks Chris. Greatly appreciated.
    scifieric
    After searching for photos, blueprints, any reference material, I thought I would start to model the complex. I really hate working without a good set of blueprints, but don't have much choice. This is what I have started so far. I am trying to keep everything in scale with my TMP Enterprise. I re-sized Raul Mamoru's excellent Travel Pod to match scale with the Enterprise. Then, I took the Travel Pod into a new project and am scaling the Orbital Office Complex to match it. Just blocking in shapes right now and will add detail later.
    106652.jpg106653.jpg
    StarCruiserscifieric
    That looks like a great start.

I know what you mean about not liking working without blueprints. It's always a pain. Of course, you could use the Regula blueprints for some of it. There were a number of changes made to the model for Star Trek II, but they would at least give you something to work from, if you wanted to go that route. There are a couple sets available on here:

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints-main2.php

Though, how accurate they are, I don't know.
    scifieric
  • ST-OneST-One188 Posts: 293Member
    One of the best designs to come out of Trek.
    Don't forget to add the smaller ribs/spokes to the arboretum-windows. :)
    scifieric
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Hi tralfaz
    is the classic "E" ready.
    I miss the pics from the ready ship ...

Good start
    scifieric
  • BigBen1967BigBen19672 Posts: 1Member
    After a 3month adventure in gathering all thr high resolution pictures I could... I created a reasonably screen accurate version to be 3d printed... Bobovich designs on facebook
    scifiericAdmiral156
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
    Hi @BigBen1967 and welcome to Scifi-Meshes.

A couple of things:
    1. Please check the dates before bumping a thread. This one hasn't had any activity since 2014. The post dates are under the username. Just check the latest one before you post a reply.
    2. Please don't just show up to advertise your stuff available elsewhere. We're all for for promoting and elevating the work of our community members, but that means that you should be a part of the community, not just show up in an old thread and tell people to find you on Facebook. You could post your station in Finished Work or our Discord, for example and take it from there.

Please check the Community Guidelines when you get a chance.
    scifiericevil_genius_180seanrvfxart
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • Admiral156Admiral156180 Posts: 76Member
    Welcome Bobovich!!!