Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

AnimationBattlestar Apocalypse: The Battle Begins Pt.1 Full Length

RandalRRandalR0 Posts: 0Member
edited July 2014 in Finished Work #1
Let me thank all that made comments,suggestions,tips and opinions in the wip threads.
The model makers and their generosity.

well, 1200 hours worth of time and effort.--- I need a vacation now.

[video=vimeo;99321351]

Best and Regards,

Randal R.
106169.png
Post edited by RandalR on

• spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    awesome. only two crits, first that expanding spherical blue shell when the engine is shot. if something later in your plot really needs reduced performance from galactica then just have the damage done by a lucky shot hitting the top of the engine, have a huge white flame spit out of the rear of the engine and extreme lens flare form it (almost then entire shot going white) the reduce the brightness(hence lens flare) to reveal that where there was previously a piece of solid hull above the engine there is now only a ripped open shell with a mangled metal framework supporting scraps of armour over a hole filled with flickering lights and damaged technical looking parts.
    the second criticism is the text at the very end, it feels like it is textured wrongly and because parts of the metal on it are black there is a partial black on black effect which makes the grooves stand out as if the text were only made of wires for the grooves rather than a solid sheet. it also feels too "clean", yes it has a texture but not the sort one expects on dirty rusty metal. study the method you use to create the text of the word "galactica" at 0.20. repeat that texture and colour effect for the material of the end title text, and maybe all other title text at the beginning as well.
    everything else is top quality, the fireballs of the explosions are believable and the debris they throw off is improved. your camera work is interesting in a way that it actively adds something to the rest of the video, where most camera work is just about trying to show of the wonderful plans the animator had for the 3d action yours is clearly thought out. i bet you need a break so, i'm guessing, does your CPU.
  • raytridiraytridi0 Posts: 0Member
    I remembered BSG times. Good job. Thanks for sharing.
  • RandalRRandalR0 Posts: 0Member
    create the text of the word "galactica"

-- I tried to use it - , or was going to do that, but because of the way I did the Galactica text, I cant do it for the flames because of conflicts in Sky Objects.
    Use Sky Object for the Bump and Ripples of Galactica text at begin.It would take me a brainstorm to figure out a work around.
    Each scene uses the sky object for different purposes. so it cant be merged or done with that text object.

I get what you are saying about the explosion I believe. Basically hide it with the explosion, then when it is revealed, you have the after look of the explosion.Am not real experienced. taking me 4 years to figure out what I can do :D

I am going to take a break , I started Pt.2 , but have had second thoughts of what, how etc. Maybe lost my train of thought on this, but been paying for SWTOR subscription for 3 months without playing it. So, need to catch up on that.

Been watching a lot of ST DS9 and BSG and had some other thoughts. Maybe try and do some actual recreates
    or simulate some scenes have seen. Use some references on pt 2. Need to ponder it for awhile.

You got some really good points and sound as if you have much more experience than I. Appreciate the help.

Enjoy it,,,, when you die, you won't be able to.

Thanks, Randal R.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    i don't really know about "sky objects" they don't exist in the software i use but maybe you could either abandon the flames(i think that better quality texture on the text might be more visually valuable) or try and make them from something other than a sky object. with your comments about explosion effects i think you've described perfectly what i am trying to suggest but if you don't know how i can explain the procedure one would use in blender, unfortunately i don't know if it would work in your software. you might consider having the initial explosion as the raider's gunfire hits the engine(a red/orange/yellow/white one) done the same way as those really nice explosions later in the clip (where fire form the base-star hits galactica's hull)but brighter. then in the video editing software you are using for post-production (you are still doing that?) cut the main video clip into two at the point where the explosion happens have the first of those two clips end with a "fade out to white" effect and the second begin with a "fade in from white" effect, time these fades correctly and you could have the first one starting to whiten the image when the explosion begins(and doing so quite rapidly) then the fade out from white would bring the image back to normal colour to reveal the damaged engine nacelle. in the absence of knowing how to do extreme lens flares(i can do them in blender) in c4d this would give a similar overall effect. if you like i can post a video of what i mean but it would take a few days. you mention you've been watching some sci-fi, copying some of the moves and effects in the scenes isn't a bad idea. it could give you some new insight into how to achieve certain effects as well as new ideas you might like to use, however if ships in any of the sci-fis you have been watching move too differently to what you already have don't try and use their motions in this clip. i shouldn't really be giving that much criticism to such good work but i think it might help.
  • RandalRRandalR0 Posts: 0Member
    Again, I want to thank all.....Without so many others, I would not get to enjoy what I am doing...

I just have a desire to do these..

Pt.2 may be awhile...if I actually can get back to it....Just Like the Star Wars Action video...I get
    caught up in doing something else.

Working on a lil Guild type of promo video for Guild mates in swtor.... and ideas just ran wild on it.
    Check it out>>
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?81141-Star-Wars-Guild-Logo-Promo

Regards,

Randal R.