Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DVir Inter Astrum Reboot

• bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    the smaller cockpit has improved it but the new ship is still REALLY ugly...

There are plenty of examples of real world military equipment that are not necessarily attractive. I've said this to you multiple times before; I don't want everything to look pretty, just plausible.
  • Knight26Knight26191 Posts: 837Member
    bbzwbbzw wrote: »
    There are plenty of examples of real world military equipment that are not necessarily attractive. I've said this to you multiple times before; I don't want everything to look pretty, just plausible.

I agree bbz. I love your stylized look, like stuff that came out of the 60s or 70s. Also, not all craft have to be airshow stunt team beautiful. The craft that do all the real work rarely are, look at real life attack planes, they are rarely pretty, but they get the job done. SF just needs to quit designing in a vacuum.
  • KhayKhay0 Posts: 0Member
    Plenty of cool new sheets on DA.
    And digital camo looks fine, really :D
  • PanPan1 Posts: 0Member
    People tell me, no one survived old VIA renders with uniforms?
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    Pan wrote: »
    People tell me, no one survived old VIA renders with uniforms?
    what?
    colbmista wrote: »
    what?

Bbzwbbzw previously spread some renders with the uniforms of the universe VIA (as far as I remember from the U.S., Europe and other). In total there were either 2, or 3. If someone they survived, could you throw it to me.
  • TomboTombo0 Posts: 0Member
    Also this one, His "old shame" as he called it. 09 Uniforms - US Space Navy.jpg
    63482.jpg
    Yes! I heartily thank you!
    So how's this for a necropost? So I'm starting to get the itch again after more than a year off. Starting off with this little guy, an asteroid surveyor. I'm reaaaallly out of practice!

asteroid prospector.jpg
    109268.jpg
  • Knight26Knight26191 Posts: 837Member
    Nice, looks pretty real world.
    Thanks Knight. I've been playing a lot of Kerbal Space Program over the last year and I think that everything is going to have a more practical look going forward.

I got lots of work done on the front end,plus added some anchor drills on the outriggers. I figured that gravity would be so negligible of anything but the largest asteroid landing pads would be useless and the ship would have to keep firing its RCS to stay in contact with the surface to take samples, which would lead to a lot of other problems. So these would just screw the craft right onto the asteroid.

I was also debating on the next step of mining, would to be more efficient to have a mining ship go to an asteroid, or tow an asteroid to a mining complex?
    109277.jpg
  • -=sAs=--=sAs=-336 Posts: 0Member
    Oh yeah,KSP 4ever! Those little green boys :)
    Very nice looking,seems realistic well!
    Nice work =)
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks great!
    Thank you much! Started work on the back end, this is the science station at the back, it will have sensors, drills and other survey paraphernalia attached.
    109279.jpg
  • KhayKhay0 Posts: 0Member
    Good to see you around!
    I didn't check the forum in countless months, i was just in the process of cleaning my bookmarks saying "meh, there is no way in hell bbzwA2 started working on his spaceships again, just a quick check before deleting the bm".
    And here you are. And with an awesome design.

EDIT: and new designs on your DA page as well!!! What is this sorcery?!
    Thread-necromancy is the best sort of necromancy :D Like you Khay I'd hardly bothered checking either here or the DA page in recent months but last night I hit the wrong bookmark and ended up on Deviant Art and was delighted to see new work. I mentioned over on DA that I've been dusting off my VIA-Verse notes lately so this is a joyous coincidence.

Loving the surveyor, who's it built by and how big is it? Regarding asteroid mining (which I imaging is a huge industry in the future) I reckon it depends on the size of the asteroid and the value of the ores within. Perhaps there are rules (laws even) regarding how close you can move an asteroid to an inhabited body or to major shipping lanes, imagine if one was accidently (or deliberately) pushed too close to a planets gravity well of into the path of a colony ship loading with people.

Smaller asteroids with high value ores might be movable but for anything bigger than a few km across it might be easier to move processing facilities to them rather than the other way around.
    What's up dudes! Good to be back, and glad you both are as well! I've got to buckle down and finish the prospector, having issues texturing it. I've no clue yet about the back story, any suggestions?

I've also redoing the Super Corsair...for the umpteenth time... It's become my benchmark I guess.
    109349.png
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work, can't believe I've not cottoned onto this thread before. Sweet detail on that mining probe, looks like a very plausible design. And those starfighters look great.

:thumb:
    Thanks Talon!
    Here is a quickie of another one, the redo of the Intrepid class carrier
    109355.png
  • Coota0Coota0331 Posts: 66Member
    Glad to see you're back. The new Super Corsair work is nice, it seems similar to the earlier design, but more...refined.
    Thanks Coot. Yeah I'd say that's a good way to put it.

I started a new job this last week and haven't had much free time to update anything but hopefully things will get back to normal next week.
    Congrats on the new job bbzwbbzw :thumb:

So, I went over to the wiki to tidy up a couple of things and noticed to my delight that someone has been adding stuff in the last day or so, mostly to the American colonies (and the US page itself). They're only listed as "a Wikia contributor" so I wonder who it is? :confused:
    So I've been thinking.... Over the last few months I've been reading up on exo-planets, especially the success of the Kepler telescope, and I've come to the conclusion that the VIA-Verse is... lacking in a couple of planetary types, namely garden moons around gas giants (which I think may be fairly common) and super-Earths (which we know to be common). So what I'm suggesting is a bit of rearranging of some worlds (which mean that the older maps would be obsolete).

Firstly I propose that Hot Springs, currently a Martian class world in the Epsilon Eridani system, is moved into orbit of a large gas giant in the 61 Cygni A system. The back story been that the initial, cursory, survey only noted the presence of the gas giant on the edge of the habitable zone and decided that there couldn't be any useful worlds there. A few years later the USA claimed the system for helium3 mining and they discovered a moon larger than Mars with a thriving ecosystem, a fact which caused some anguish for the UOE who's survey had managed to miss the moon. I also think that the CEGD has at least one Garden Moon, but they're not telling anyone where it is :p

The second move is over in the Old Reaches. The AD Leonis system currently has three colonised planets - Addledorf, Harpers, and Marset. I propose moving Addledorf to another system and enlarging it into a super-Earth with an equatorial diameter of around 10'800km, about 60% bigger than Earth. Because of a fairly low metal content in the mantle the surface gravity is "only" 1.52g, within tolerable levels for humans although it takes time to acclimatise to local conditions (colony ships travelling there probably slowly increase their spin rate during the flight).

Something else I've been thinking about is Enclaves. Enclaves are where a colonising nation leases an area of land to another, smaller, country, primarily for agricultural purposes. There are strict rules regarding enclaves. The guest country's population are not colonists, they are "resident aliens" subject to the laws and regulations of the host colony, enclave inhabitants who break theses laws are subject to repatriation to Earth, even if they, their parents or even their grand-parents were born on the enclave. Enclave inhabitants do not pay taxes to the host nation, basic amenities are funded by their home nation via the leasing arrangement. Produce generated in an enclave is subject to local sales taxes if it's sold on-planet but not if it's shipped off-world.

Secondly enclaves are not permitted armed forces, although they can operate their own police force if permitted by the host nation, nor can an enclave possess surface to orbit interface facilities, an airport or heliport is fine though. Thirdly enclaves cannot be the site of heavy industry which may cause pollution. A factory assembling computers would be fine, a small metal working workshop producing household goods (garden gates, cutlery etc.) is acceptable but a factory building tractors would not be. Finally mineral extraction (mining metal ores, drilling for oil and so on) is forbidden unless strictly monitored by the host nation, processed minerals may be subject to taxation. Small scale quarrying or clay mining for building materials is permitted.

The first enclaves was on Gaia when the Russian Federation leased 3'600 square kilometres to India for agricultural purposes. Other enclaves on Gaia have since been settled, Egypt leases 3'500km squared from the UOE, whilst both the ACPL and Kenya have similar sized enclaves in UC territory. Brazil leases 4'000 square km to South Africa on Ciamverde. The Free States of South America are currently negotiating the leasing of an enclave on Ciamverde from Japan.

So thoughts, ideas, suggestions?
    All sounds good to me! As long as you feel like fact checking the text on future sheets.
    So, as I'm redoing the supercorsair, it's little brother is going to be updated too.
    109393.jpg
    My editorial skills are at your service :). The Corsairs both look great. Will you be redoing the style of the data sheets, or keeping the old design?
    Tombo wrote: »
    My editorial skills are at your service :). The Corsairs both look great. Will you be redoing the style of the data sheets, or keeping the old design?

I think an update is in order. Any suggestions?
    How's about something like this Old Style MiG-227 Frank Old Style.jpg :p

Truthfully though something similar to the last design is (I think) the best, maybe with the stat block listing the main users.
    109402.jpg
  • r4mir3zxr4mir3zx331 Posts: 0Member
    Hi, I like very much the concept of having 'real' worlds incorporated into this universe.
    Just would like to note that Earth's equatorial diameter is currently ~12756 km.
    Did you mean "equatorial RADIUS of 10800km" for Addledorf? Because that would make a super-earth... :)
    Otherwise, keep on guys, I enjoy this thread.
  • r4mir3zxr4mir3zx331 Posts: 0Member
    Hi, I like very much the concept of having 'real' worlds incorporated into this universe.
    Tombo:
    Just would like to note that Earth's equatorial diameter is currently ~12756 km.
    Did you mean "equatorial RADIUS of 10800km" for Addledorf? Because that would make a super-earth... :)

Otherwise, keep on guys, I enjoy this thread.

Sorry for the double post, I just wanted to edit it... looks like something went wrong...