Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Blender 3d Creating Hologram with Cycles Engine

KalshionKalshion0 Posts: 0Member
I've been trying to find tutorials on how to do this, but all of them seem related to the internal renderer, I'm not sure if that's because the current Cycles Engine can't 'do' holograms or if no one just hasn't attempted one; but if its possible that the Cycles Engine can't do it then I have no idea how to combine an internal render with a cycles render (never done it, nor tried),
Thus my question is, I have a texture that I would like to project from a bracelet I am designing, in this case the bracelet is one that monitors your heart rate, blood pressure, that kind of stuff and projects it in the form of a hologram for you to read but I don't know how to get the holographic effect in this engine.

Any vets here have any idea's on what kind of a setup you use? :(
Post edited by Kalshion on
Tagged:

• spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    i could explain how to make a hologram in blender internal(i don't use cycles personally as it is too slow). it's really simple. just cut out some shapes and make a new material for them. make sure these shapes are cut into whatever 2d forms you want to have in the hologram(if you want 3d forms in the hologram model them as you normally would). the material should be given a "diffuse" of whatever colour is most appropriate(blue or green i guess) and a "spec value" of 0 (as the hologram cannot possibly reflect anything). under "shading" give this material an "emit" value (the higher you make it the larger a lens flare you can cause if you are using the right render settings). tick the box under "transparency" then select "z transparency" and fiddle with the "alpha" setting until the material shown in the preview box looks about right. you could also apply a texture but you would need to ensure the texture did not interfere with the alpha value. finally create the impression of it being projected by modelling a tiny glowing hemisphere with a transparent material similar to what you used for the hologram itself(embedded into whatever it is projecting from) and placing a "spot" light inside this hemisphere pointing towards the projection. give the spot lamp the following settings:
    !lamp!
    spot
    colour to same colour as projection
    energy=2
    falloff
    constant
    distance(a little more than from the sphere to your projection)
    diffuse turned on
    all other tick boxes left off
    !shadow"
    buffer shadow
    colour black
    buffer type"classic halfway"
    filter type"box"
    soft=3
    bias=1
    clip start=0.5
    size=512
    samples=3
    clip end=40 all tick boxes left unchecked
    !spot shape!
    size=whatever angle to fit the edges of your projection
    blend=0
    square=off
    show cone=on
    halo=on
    intensity=1.6
    step=2
    !custom properties!
    none

now add a plane just on the projection side of the glowing sphere
    go into edit mode and subdivide it into atleast 10 by 10 small squares, delete some of these squares randomly to make a mask
    then give this plane a materials as follows
    !diffuse!
    don't fill in anything here
    !specular!
    don't do anything here either
    !shading!
    tick "shadeless"
    set "translucency"=0
    !transparency!
    leave off
    !mirror!
    leave off
    !subsurface scattering!
    leave off
    !strand!
    root=1
    tip=1
    minimum=0.001
    blender units=off
    tangent shading is greyed out
    shape=0
    width fade=0
    uv not set
    distance=0
    !options!
    traceable=on
    use mist=on
    pass index=0
    all other tick boxes off
    !shadow!
    receive=on
    receive transparent=off
    cast only=on
    casting alpha=1
    shadows only=on
    select "shadow and distance"
    cast buffer shadows=on
    buffer bias=0
    auto ray bias=on
    ray bias is greyed out
    cast approximate=on
    !custom properties!
    none

with all this done you should get a glowing hologram projection hovering in space with a glowing light nearby appearing to be it's source and casting what are sometimes called "crepuscular rays" as if the source was only sending light to certain bits of the projection. if you want to be really precise design the plane with the holes in it so that the holes match up with the glowing parts of the hologram and the solid parts of this mask line up with the dark bits.

as a note this works for render settings of
    blender internal with "raytracing","subsurface scattering" and "environment map" turned off under "shading" in the render settings tab and "environment lighting"=on, gather="raytrace" under the world tab. it probably works fine for other render settings in internal but those are the ones i use as they are nice and fast.
  • KalshionKalshion0 Posts: 0Member
    Sorry it took so long to get back to ya, I'd actually found a tutorial a little bit ago that explained a bit on how to make a hologram.. although I'm still screwing around with it =)
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    i can assure you my instructions work. if you really need help i can upload a blend file to show you them.