Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DEdge of Tomorrow Exoskeleton suit

• publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Something I noticed. On my computer, the helmet avatar on the works in progress main page looks squashed.

Squash that helmet on purpose--and you have an SG1 ancient looking ship--maybe ori
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Have been working away a lot on this guy, guess I should make an update! The movie is coming out friday, so I want to post my work before it comes out, more impressive that way ;). There's been a lot more photos appearing online of the suit and some BTS so I've been redoing and fleshing out more areas. My files have become pretty unweildy, i am building the arms, legs, backpack, clothing, all in seperate ztools then i optimize the meshes and try to bring them all into one master zproject. So here's a dump of where things are...for the most part, the body shots with everything in them are a little out of date, the single shots like the leg and arm are the newest

torso1.jpg

backpack2.jpg

legs3.jpg

leg2.jpg

arm7.jpg

arm6.jpg
    106025.jpg
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    movie is already out in britain, haven't seen it yet though. model looks brilliant, texture work extraordinary especially in the shot second from bottom.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Excellent job, have seen the movie and you've really captured the feel of this kit, looks great.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    I saw the movie too, and I'm digging your work on this. I love that we're at an age where people can do screen-accurate recreations before the movie comes out. Imagine trying to do this off a TV commercial VHS tape and one or two still images.

The Exo-suit feels like it could be tricky, when they wear it, it's huge and chunky, but when they take if off, there's less there than you think. But it definitely looks like you go it, the only issue coming up I can see is the texturing and the little details, which will be hard to nail until there's more reference.

But I'm sure I'm already telling you everything you already know, so let me say again great job and hope to see more soon!
    Been working on adding some more details to the arm like the little screen trigger buttons, added more detail to the flamethrower and dirtied up the leg and backpack...getting closer with this guy!!

leg6.jpg

flame_thrower.jpg

arm_w_UI.jpg
    106071.jpg
  • Darth ChickenDarth Chicken0 Posts: 0Member
    Absolutely brilliant work. I'm thinking of building this in the real world and have been struggling with the screen shots I've been able to acquire. I've built most of the arm piece in Lightwave (so I can rotate and find all the shapes) and your pics have made me see my errors... Thanks a whole bunch for this, will post pics when I start :)
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    i have to know what you want to do with a live-action Exo-Suit.
    Thanks Japetus, yep got them all. I'm looking forward to your finished product.... LOVE the detailing :thumb:
    LOL... well as a prop builder I've always wanted to build something larger and working. I recently built a Borg alcove and a 1.5m Borg sphere for a float here in Australia.... I'd like to keep this one. Always wanted a suit of power armour..... and this one looks cool!
    Not sure the wife will let me keep it in the lounge room though
    LOL... well as a prop builder I've always wanted to build something larger and working. I recently built a Borg alcove and a 1.5m Borg sphere for a float here in Australia.... I'd like to keep this one. Always wanted a suit of power armour..... and this one looks cool!
    Not sure the wife will let me keep it in the lounge room though

Hahaha...i dragged my wife to this movie..not sure if she'll forgive me for making her see Godzilla and Edge of Tomorrow in back to back weekends, but I really enjoyed it! Was surprisingly funny and Cruise's character had some good character development.
    Darth, just keep the suit in your closet next to the bathrobe! ;)
    i saw the film today. it's an awesome movie really, quite long and good cgi. it has an interesting plot and unlike most movies/tv episodes involving time-loops it works well. certainly at the start it had clear parallels with the events of world war 2 and D-Day with an enemy in europe being attacked on two fronts and regular mentions of the importance of an enemy not being aware of where the landing would come. what with the operation overlord anniversary on june 6th i'm not surprised it was released at this time of this year. end is a bit baffling, i won't spoil it with details.
    Here's the latest... i made an improved head, which I'll show more later... but since I've seen the movie I've revised things a little bit, moving around some armor pieces to match things a bit...I think the last big thing to do is working on his clothes now that i'm pretty much done revising the armor shapes. But you never know...i keep finding little things here and there.

suit10.jpg
    suit14.jpg
    suit15.jpg
    suit11.jpg
    Fantastic work... this is truly an exceptional piece of art. :thumb:
    so ,where's his safety catch? awesome model, might you try the dropships afterwards?
  • DeadmikeDeadmike0 Posts: 0Member
    This is fantastic work! Just awesome to see
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Dude, that's really fantastic looking. :thumb:
    Thanks for the comments guys...I'm hoping to finish him up for the most part this week (wife will be out of town! haha). The last big thing I need to make is the gun attached to his right arm. In other parts of the movie he has some scope and/or flashlight attachments on his arm and helmet so I might add those too to give it more coolness. I managed to find out what gun the one in the movie is based on, it's a Scar-H with an underslung grenade launcher. Pretty cool... Although strangely when it's on his arm the trigger and grip seem to be hidden behind some sort of paneling and when he uses it w/o his suit it's there, so who knows. Also seems like the foldable stock was removed and some greebles put back there. I'm not much of a gun guy so it's just my layman's observations but I'm sure they just had different "future" versions going for different scenes. Hope to post more later this week.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Edge_of_Tomorrow
    Ok been really busy, but finally was able to mostly finish the gun today. I think I still have to add some sights up at the top and do a bit of greebly on the back, but it's looking good enough i think! Time to go do something with my life for a bit!

gun2.jpg

Edit: Weird...the bottom image of the gun got the top chopped off of it... it's not that flat up there as you can see from the other side of the gun above.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Unbelievably beautiful piece of work dude! Truly in a class all its own.

Loved the movie. So many timeline restarts. Good film editing. Didn't lose me.
  • DaemoriaDaemoria331 Posts: 0Member
    Great work on this. How much of that gun is done in shadowbox versus hard-surface modeled in another app?
    Thanks guys...I updated the gun a bit, that grenade launcher is tricky! Went and redid a few things too after I got more sleep. :)
    The gun is completely made in zbrush and most of the parts are modeled from primitive shapes and cut and sculpted into place. I made the picatinny rails and srews from custom insert meshes. I ended up using shadowbox for some of the paneling, like the curvy grenade launcher panels shape. I hadn't used it much before, it was a life saver for that. Still have to work on the rear site and few areas in the back of the gun after I found some more refrence, but I think the hardest part is done. I'm excited to put this on my suit. After this gun I think all the modeling is done minus some little thinks here and there.

gun3.jpg
    gun5.jpg
    Looking sweet, nice job.

:thumb:
    Made the rear sight for the gun...I have some free time tonight so I'm hoping to finish this gun up. I've added more details on the side and near the back. After closer examination it looks like they kept the hinge for the folding stock but crammed the back with greebles of some sort, so that's what I"ll be doing. It's a bit tricky since I can just barely see it in my ref.

rear-sight.jpg
    Life's been crazy the past few weeks...but today I was finally able to sit down and finish up the gun....it's gonna to be a hassle to optimize it, 44 million polys and 50 subtools.... :argh:

gun6.jpg
    Heh, looks nice though.

:p
    Was able to optimize the gun down to about 4.5 million polys and finally place it on the arm! That's the last large part of modeling I think. Now I have to go back to working on the clothes. Who knows when I'll get the time to do that!

I haven't mentioned it here yet, but my wife and I are expecting our first child pretty soon, so that's eating into all extra time right now.

I've been reduced to working on this during lunch at work when I feel up to it, which is hard since I do a lot of modeling at work and need a break during lunch. But I'm glad I was able to make it this far on this project!

gun_body.jpg
    Once again, nice work. Congrats on the impending arrival. And as a father of a little tear away 19 month old daughter, kiss your spare time goodbye.

:p

Hope all goes well, and best wishes to your Wife.
  • jay-mojay-mo0 Posts: 0Member
    This is awesome! Is this all zbrush? Is it all UV mapped. You have done a killer job on the details. It wasn't the greatest movie I've seen, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.