Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DBattlestar Galactica Vipers

• TalosTalos0 Posts: 0Member
    Great on all so far ... Your BSG Vipers continue to impress me post after post ...
    Inquiry though, do you do front / back / or bottom views???

Thanks. I haven't done any yet but I probably should one of these days. I will sometime, have no fear.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Talos wrote:
    Thanks. I haven't done any yet but I probably should one of these days. I will sometime, have no fear.:D

Cool ... Can't wait to see more of your Starfleet ships too!!!
    Here's one I did a couple of weeks ago. It's the De Santo Viper which in my continuity is called the Viper Mk III. In my version of events, it is a heavy Viper from the Cylon war, sort of the P-47 Jug of the war.

The other one is a early WIP of what I'm working on now, thanks to Viper Aviator (you rock man! :thumb:). I've been working full time and haven't had much time but that is what the weekend is for. :D

Braveheart: I'll work on Trek ships too, more will come. I did some work on the Miranda, it's almost done.
    I had a flash of inspiration last night and it manifested in this. These are side views of the evolution of the Viper Mk II from its earliest incarnation during the early Cylon war to the IIF, introduced in the last few years of the war, which becomes known as just the Mk II after the war just like most people know the P-51D as just the P-51, since it is the most well-known model. I'll have some more designs in the sequence (although I'll have to rename them) and I have some Mk I designs too. Top and other views'll come sometime.
    A quick update. This pic shows some of the major modifications made to Viper Mk Is by repair teams, maintenance depots, and the factory. There are also two engine mods, the first is the engine set from the Viper Mk IV/Viper PR.Mk I. This particular bird would probably a CAG bird since it has everything added, including the rare ECM suite.
  • Viper AviatorViper Aviator0 Posts: 0Member
    Hey Talos,

Just a thought, how about a Mk I, Mk II or Mk VII designed for the electronic warfare role, like the E/A-6B Prowler, with a 2 person cockpit, the HUGE ECM package on the top of the vertical stabilizer and some hardpoint under fusalage ECM pods. I think that that would look great and it would also fill the gap before the Raptor Mk I entered service. :thumb:
    Gotcha covered VA, I have a EW.Mk I, II, and VII for just that role. The Mk II is in post #7 of this thread and the Mk I is in #10. The pods on the wings and tail are the offensive jammers, like the pods the Prowler carries. The pods on the nose of the Mk I and the small antennae on the II are the defensive ecm gear. They are two seaters by the way. Here is the EW.Mk VII I made a while back, it only has two jammer pods and is able to keep the third tail gun for a little defensive firepower. I'll make an updated version based on your orthos after I finish the base fighter. It's getting there.

Oh yeah, the antennaes on the nose of the VII are the defensive system's. I figure the Raptor would replace the Viper EW craft, shuttles, assault ships, and such to keep costs down and save space in the hanger. The EW.Mk VII would be for planetary militias and smaller, older ships that didn't get Raptors.

Hmm, I should try to way you suggested with the Vipers, it sounds interesting. BTW, the wings on the EW.Mk I and II fold upwards at the line that goes fore and aft on the wing where the new wing meets the old structure. They don't fit in launch tubes and are forced to launch from the deck, except for the Mk VII.

EDIT: I updated the WIP in #34.
    Here's a quick one for tonight, the Cylon War-era Viper Mk IIE, a backdating of the ultimate Mk II we see on the show. It now has an dorsal view.

Enjoy!

EDIT: And the IID.
    Here's a few more, the Viper Mk IIC, B, A, and Prototype. Not much to say, 100 cubits, though, for whoever figures out the airplane that inspired the nose of the prototype.
  • StarSlayerStarSlayer0 Posts: 0Member
    id say a F-86 Super Sabre course the II has always reminded my of that.

f-100_1.jpg
    Bingo, the Hun is where I got the pitot tube idea and the nose shape from. Good job!:D
  • Parker MidwinterParker Midwinter0 Posts: 0Member
    StarSlayer wrote:
    id say a F-86 Super Sabre course the II has always reminded my of that.

f-100_1.jpg
    that's the F-100 Super Saber.

and it does have that sleek feel to it, doesn't it?
  • Maverick EagleMaverick Eagle0 Posts: 0Member
    I always thought the MIG 21s looked closer
    The forward fuselage of the Mark II has always reminded me of the Hun (F-One Hundred btw). It's just the slope and small opening that remindes me. I'm a big fan of the F-100 and other jets of the era.
    Here's an early, early, early model Viper Mk I dating from sometime during the Colonial wars before the Cylons attacked. Yes, it is twin engined. :D
  • Safe@2ndSafe@2nd0 Posts: 0Member
    That is a GREAT Viper pre-cursor concept!!

You have some great ideas while remaining true to the original design.

Keep up the good work!
    Thanks S@S. I'm a big fan of aircraft from the late 1930s, the 40s, and 50s (the Silver Age of flight) so I tried to get design asthetics from those early jets into this design. The framing on the cockpit is like the early F-84, the cockpit fairing from the early Gloster experimental jet, the shock cones from the F-104, etc. This'll be backdated a bit more for the prototype and moved forward some to bridge the gap between it and the TOS Mk I.
    Talos,

Aside from the bent wings, it reminds me of the "6th Millenium" fighter from the old series episode The Long Patrol. The shock cones add a nice visual touch as does the ribbed cockpit. great design. :cool:
    Yeah, the similarity was intentional since I wanted them to be in the same design era. Like I said, this was from the Colonial war era, the time when the colonies were fighting each other before the Cylon War happens. In my universe, the Viper was used by Caprican forces and the Sixth-Millenium ship was Sagittaron. I'm toying with the idea of using the Buck Rogers ship for either Picon or Gemenon.
    Talos,

That makes perfect sense, considering that the Starfighter was originally going to be the Starhound Viper. I would love to see that thing "Colonialized" If you need a reference, I believe that Alan Sinclair has detailed CAD drawings of all the varients used in the Buck Rogers series, I'll see if I can find his site and attach it for you. As for the Mk VII modifications, I just recovered from a major hard drive crash and I'll zap them out to you when I locate them (hopefully today) sorry for the delay.

Found it: http://www.angelfire.com/scifi2/wizardofflight/index.html
    Cool, thanks for the link and that's no problem, I look forward to when you send the files. I have some ideas already with what I'm going to do with the BR starfighter, it should be interesting.
    I finished the top view of the early Viper. It really reminds me now of the Viper on the V. Pilot's patch.
    I do have to agree with you on that one :cool:
    Here are the engine upgrades for the Viper Mk I. The top one, which also has a nose upgrade, is the same engine package as the Mk IV, N.Mk I, PR.Mk I. The other one is from the Scarlet Viper.
    Here's another one, the Viper GA.Mk III. It's a ground attack and hunter version of the Mk III heavy fighter. It's designed in the vein of the B-25G/H heavy cannon armed strafer and anti-ship planes. It's designed to take out ground buildings such as bunkers, Cylon ships like tankers, as well as shuttles and heavy raiders. It still has two cannons (smaller than the regular Viper guns) below the cockpit. Also, there is an IRST/TV sensor pod under the nose to aid in target identification.
  • Darth MaliceDarth Malice0 Posts: 0Member
    Cool, that one looks like the De Santo viper. The engine covers anyway. Good work...:thumb:
    That's cause it is. :D The Mk III is the De Santo one, this one just has brand-new wings.
    For my job, I write doctrine for the US Army. After watching BSG last night, I had the idea of mounting a small grenade launcher on the M9 service pistol. So I drew this while on break at work. I measured it all out, using the FMs for the pistols and the M203 for grenade reference. It's small caliber, less then 40mm and it fits under the barrel. The background picture (which I know isn't perfectly flat) is from the field manual for the M9 and M11 pistols. The green and gold scheme for the round is the same used by the regular high-explosive grenade for the M203. The square on the launcher is the trigger, the bar above is a push-pull safety lever. The launcher is mounted on the pistol with two screws or pins on the from of the lower body of the pistol. It's a single-shot muzzle loader.

EDIT: Just a reminder, this is very much a rough work-in-progress.
    EDIT2: Replaced pic since I found a better image of the gun.
    Talos,

I like the GA Mk III and I think that you are realy on to something with the Baretta M9 with the grenade launcher. I look forward to seeing the finished product of the sidearm. Good Work. :thumb:
    Thanks VA.

Here's the basically finished Miranda. Not much to say other than that. :lol: