Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

USS Midway Excelsior Class Request

Mikey1091Mikey10910 Posts: 0Member
edited June 2014 in Looking for... #1
Hey all. I don't have the time, ability, or resouces to do this myself, and I love the work you all do here with the 3D ship models, so I figured I would bring this job to you folks. Anyway, before I get into it, here's a bit of history about the group I'm in.

I'm a member of a small but growing cosplay group in NY, which has chapters in NYC and on Long Island. We don't have a main website for the group itself yet, but the websites for the two chapters we currently have are up and running. The group itself is The Independent Star Trek Fan Group. Incidentally, everyone in the group used to be members of Starfleet International, including myself, but we left because of all the politics and whatnot and formed our own group about two years ago. Yeah, I know, long time to be without a main website for the group, but we're working on one. Anyway, we have two chapters currently. The USS Iwo-Jima, and the USS Midway. I myself run the Midway with the rank of Captain, and the other founders of the group run the Iwo-Jima. Anyway, on to what I'm looking for.

As you can probably already tell, this request has to do with the Midway in particular.

And now for the salient details about the Midway, and what I would like to see done. The Midway is an Excelsior Class cruiser, specifically the Enterprise-B variant (I just want to make sure that part is clear, no offense is meant). You might be asking yourselves and me "Why not go on Google and find some images of the Excelsior Class Enterprise-B variant yourself? There must be some good ones you can use!". Thats true, there are. The problem for me is, they don't have the name and registry of the Midway on them. I would like to see three separate images, all at angles of the modelers choice. In one of the three images, I'd like to see the Midway firing a torpedo or two, and perhaps her phasers. Also, keep in mind that the time period of my group is Post-Dominion War, so the weapons fire must look that way. I do, however, have restrictions. They are as follows:

1. Name (USS Midway) and registry (NCC-74264) must be on the hull of the ship images in their proper places.
2. Must be the Enterprise-B Excelsior Class (yeah I know that's twice I've said it, but can you blame me for being detailed? LOL!)
3. Must be film quality with all the effects and whatnot that go with it!
4. Must also be HD quality (preferably 1080p).
5. Must be high resolution (no lower than 1920x1080).
6. Must be transparent background and in PSD (if possible) or PNG format.
7. Must be resizeable with little to no loss of quality.
8. No visible credits/watermarks on the images.

Before you all go "But we need to be credited for our work, and it should be on the images!", the reason I don't want visible credits/watermarks on them is because I will be ensuring that on the Midway's website and anywhere else they are used, with the exception of recruitment materials for my cosplay group's recruitment purposes, that proper credit is given where the images are used in any fashion. Credits for the images will appear at the bottom of any and all web pages in which the images are used.

Yes, I know, this is a rather big post, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible. I would like to see these done in time for me to use them for a convention I'm going to June 14th, but that is not a requirement. As long as they are done right, I will be happy to get them weeks afterwards ( know how long this stuff takes to do, specifically because I've dabbled in 3D myself a bit a few times but never really got into it). Anyway, big thanks to whoever takes this request, and remember, please take your time and make sure it's done right, and don't hesitate to ask me for more information!
Post edited by Mikey1091 on
Tagged:

• Mikey1091Mikey10910 Posts: 0Member
    No takers yet, I see. I honestly would have put this in the paid work section, but neither myself or anyone else in our group has the financial resources with which to pay the modeler (I know the price tag for stuff like this as I've done some research, it can reach into the upper hundreds). I did just get a good job, so I might actually move this over to the paid work section in a few weeks, after I pay off all my bills and my credit card, if there are no takers who are willing to do it for free. Still, I'd love to see this done for free, and as much as I'd like to see someone take this on for free and get these to me finished before Eternal Con in June, there are no time limits on when it needs to be done, so should anyone decide to take this up and do it for free, please do take your time with it, but at the very least try to keep me informed (I can be a bit impatient if there's no news after a few weeks, LOL).
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    The problem is, doing such a high level of detail and effort without getting payed for it, is something where most 3D-artists simply shrug and turn the other way... It's too much effort for too few reward.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Your best bet would probably be to find someone who has already built one and ask them to make the name and registry modification, which is very simple, to their model and render for you. I've done that before for people who wanted their ship names on models I'd already built. (before you ask, I've never built an Excelsior class)
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    evil genius is right, you can't expect someone to make the model just for that. as for anyone with existing models, it's easy to render in high definition high res quality (only WIP renders are likely to be below 1920x1080). transparent background is simple(you could do it yourself with GIMP), but requirement 8 won't be accepted by anyone. you might not post the image anywhere without putting credits in the text next to it but anyone can copy the pic and post it elsewhere, including watermarks and signatures makes it much harder for them.

as a thought you could learn some 3d techniques yourself(there are several free 3d modeeling programs you can download), that way if you can find a free model of the right ship type then you can change the registry/name yourself. just give credit to the original author of the original ship model you worked form and that should be fine.
    I do indeed have blender, but I know very little about it. For me to learn to do an Enterprise B model from scratch would take me years, as I'm known for getting frustrated with stuff like 3D modelling and never finishing whatever project I'm on, or simply never saving it to finish later. I believe I've found an awesome model with textures on deviantart, and AM trying to get the creator's permission to use his source material, but I'm not to optimistic I'll be successful with that.

If I had the knowledge to do it all myself, I'd have done so by now, but since I do not, I though it would be better to bring it here. As for requirement 8, the reason I need it is because the images will be used in promotional/recruitment materials for the cosplay group the images are for, and no one wants to see little credits/watermarks on that type of stuff, otherwise I'd have happily left requirement 8 out.

Anyway, we'll see what happens with the deviantart user who has a blender model I can work with, but if I don't have any success there, then I have two choices. Drop the no credits requirement, or go into Star Trek Online and get images from there, both of which I don't want to do, first because of the reason stated above, and second because the models in STO look a little too cartoonish for me.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Yeah, you don't want to use the models in STO. Their polygon counts are too low and the textures aren't right. Also, you can't do a registry number that low. I think the lowest you can go is 90001, or something like that.

The thing about the credits is something you're going to have to hash out with the mesh author. To say nobody will do images for you without credits isn't necessarily true. Some people might be willing to do it, since you are promising to credit them. However, first you need to find a mesh and download it. (web searches are your friend here ;)) It doesn't matter what program it's in. What you need is the ReadMe file, so that you can find the mesh author's contact info.
    Yeah, I forgot about the limited registry thing in STO, and you are right, they STO models are very low quality. As for finding a mess/model, I did find a guy on deviantart who made a very nice Excelsior Class Enterprise B in blender. I've got a message out to him to see if he's willing to share his source materials with me, or even if he's willing to do the images for me. Of course, he might say no, in which case I'll have to find some other way, but if I can get him to provide the source materials or do the images for me, then I'd be happy with that. We'll see what happens, though.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    if the registry on the STO models is part of the texture and you can find a way to get the sto models saved as something blender can import then you can just edit the image to change the registry, you will ofcourse still have the low poly problem.
    Yeah, and I don't WANT the low poly count problem. I want a hi res high poly count image that can be resized to really any size smaller than the original without loss of quality.
    I might have a compromise. What if my eighth restriction only applied to ONE out of the three of the images, the one to be used for my groups recruitment purposes, but the other two I would allow credits/watermarks on? Would anyone here be willing to take this request under those circumstances?
    No takers even with that compromise? Oh well, guess I'll have to find another way to get this done, as none of the people I've contacted who have the meshes and whatnot have gotten back to me either, so I'm at a bit of a dead end on this one. I'll wait a few more days to see if there are any takers, though, and if not I'll move this over to paid requests and give it some time there. If worst comes to worst, I'll just live with whatever images I can find on Google.
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    I have found paid projects get significantly more attention, Mikey1091.
    These are artist here on SCIFI-MESHES, they have dreams and ideas of their own they'd like to see come to fruition. There time is valuable between art and life.

Further, I find it important that admirers of great art help to contribute to it in someway to encourage their talents and imaginations.
    I know paid requests get more attention, it's just my problem is that I'm flat broke right now, and I won't get my first paycheck until June 11th (I just started a new job). That, plus I don't know how the paid requests generally work (whether you pay before or after product is done, pay a percentage before, the rest after, etc.), so I've been hesitating to move this over there. I DO want to move this over there, just not until I have a good idea of how much this would typically cost and when I would be expected to pay and how.
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    Deals can vary. I think Generally a deposit is a good idea for "good faith" and the remainder after completion and satisfaction.
    You should have an idea of the total cost of the job as you would like to offer the artist and let the haggling ensue.

(I'd recommend haggling in Private Message and not publicly)