Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DThe Prisoner - WIP

IGTurtleIGTurtle0 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2014 in Work in Progress #1
Something tad different from Ships - Hope you guys dont mind me ruining the wip forum with a sci - fi character design ;D *i can feel the starboard guns aimed at me already* :D

I dabbled in 3D ship design a while back with my shocking attempt at making ships so thought id go back to familiar ground which for me is character design - i tend to do this over my 4 months of Uni so stay tuned - just a sneak preview for now :D

quick explanation/ bio of the character im trying to create:
As it says in the title he is going to be a prisoner - how and why is still yet to be decided and once that's decided it will ultimately help with designing armor / clothing so if you want to throw ideas out i eagerly await your thoughts. :D But he s from a race born for war and conflict, with speed, quick tactical thinking and no desire for surrender.

Any thoughts of what you can see already are appreciated as always, and i know there's not much going on at the momment but stay tuned
105956.jpg
Post edited by IGTurtle on

• IGTurtleIGTurtle0 Posts: 0Member
    Okie after a few hours ive begun sculpting in the forms.

wip update 002.jpg wip update 001.jpg wip update 003.jpg

Still got the lower half of the body to work , but i am thinking of him having leg armor of some sort , and for the head , i am liking the shape and the head crest - the bigger the crest the older/ wiser they are.

Thoughts are appreciated :)
    105921.jpg105922.jpg105923.jpg
  • wibblewibble1122 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 493Member
    For the most people here spaceships are the familiar ground instead of character design thats why it seems to be a spaceship modelling forum only I guess, but there are some really cool character WIP's around here so I don't know why anybody should shoot you therefore. And he is looking great.

For the reason why he is imprisoned: if this is supposed to be the ultimate warrior race maybe he is punished by his own people for showing mercy upon an enemy?
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    either that or he was captured by an enemy using a non-lethal weapon. they managed to knock him unconcious rather than kill him and now they are doing their best to get information out of him. looks good work, already seems to be coming together by your second post.
    i went ahead and did a little mock up of what id like the final piece to look like
    (not the best way to do things - but it gives me a break)

PRISONER.jpg

But ive added some battle wounds and scars - his right eye is no longer in use and ive done some quick shackle placers , will be putting some on the ankles as well and having him in some kind of circular holding cell / torturedevice, cause im liking the idea off something getting information out of him
    105924.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's some really nice work so far. :thumb:

You're certainly not the first person to do character work on here. There are a few people who do it. However, most of us stick to hard surface objects because they're easier to model than living organisms. ;)
    That's some really nice work so far. :thumb:

You're certainly not the first person to do character work on here. There are a few people who do it. However, most of us stick to hard surface objects because they're easier to model than living organisms. ;)

Haha cheers , and its funny cause its the complete opposite for me haha i find doing living organisms is easier than doing hard surface modeling
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    hard surfaces easier for me also, only tried organic once. it was before i learnt of the existence of blender so it was purely with sketchup and it came out awful.

when this is complete will it just be used for some still renders or are you thinking of animating it? you might be able to do some interesting stuff if this creature perhaps breathes a different atmosphere to us, as an idea for a scene maybe try the following:

creature strung up in cylindrical cell with the unspeakable devices scattered on the floor. nearby lies one of his human captors unconscious on the floor due to a smashed visor on his environment suit's helmet, the creature retracting some unexpected appendage back into his chest. for the appendage think of what you see on the aliens in the movie "cowboys and aliens" or "independence day".
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    IGTurtle wrote: »
    Haha cheers , and its funny cause its the complete opposite for me haha i find doing living organisms is easier than doing hard surface modeling

Yeah, some people prefer the sculpting method of modeling, and that's great for organics. I've tried it a couple times and the stuff that came out wasn't pretty. :lol:
    when this is complete will it just be used for some still renders or are you thinking of animating it? .

Well i have a whopping 4 months of uni until i start my 2nd year so i was thinking of doing the whole works for him, that meaning, texturing , rigging animating etc. I like the story im working along with in my head for this character so im gonna do multiple stages of his life. being captured - to getting back to his comrades, and so on . i dunny know ha - just spitballing some ideas which is mighty fun ha :D
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Very nice work so far. Never tried organic myself, but how hard can it be?*sarcasm* Looking forward to this. :thumb:
    Just a small update as ive been at home past 3 days

just made his face look a tad more sterner and more prominent

if it doesn't seem to look right - please say haha :)
    105954.jpg105956.jpg