Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSCSS Nostromo

2»

• mrysmrys172 Posts: 0Member
    It was loooong break, but project is still alive :) Not much, but next step is done :)
    broda_001_small.jpg

broda_002_small.jpg

broda_003_small.jpg

broda_004_small.jpg
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    Welcome back, and the details are looking great!
  • StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    Awesome!
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    It's nice to see you're back to work on this. It's looking fantastic. :)
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Looks great, fantastic detailing. Is it just me or does that chunk of tech on the underside look a little like an AT-AT Walker head? It can't be though right? TESB came out the year after Alien, though since they were both shot in the UK I guess someone on Alien might have seen the work being done on Empire, or have been given a scrap part of an AT-AT Walker model to add to the Nostromo as a cool little Easter Egg, never noticed it before though.

Having built the cracking and highly detailed Halcyon model of this many moons ago I can say that the detailing and proportions on your model look spot on, very impressive, can't believe I've not commented on this thread until now.

:thumb:
  • CoolhandCoolhand283 Mountain LairPosts: 1,294Member
    Brian Johnson worked in the model shop on Alien, and midway left to go to work on Empire. Also I'm sure many of the same model kits used to add greeble were used in both productions.
  • MaxxRushMaxxRush180 Posts: 168Member
    Coolhand wrote: »
    Brian Johnson worked in the model shop on Alien, and midway left to go to work on Empire. Also I'm sure many of the same model kits used to add greeble were used in both productions.

Wow! He not only builds models for SF movies, but also is the singer for AC/DC? I wonder where he finds the time for touring along with model-building...:p:D

On-topic: This looks *really* good. The Nostromo is one of my favorite ships.
  • CoolhandCoolhand283 Mountain LairPosts: 1,294Member
    AC/DC's second singer anyway - almost sounds like the first time you heard the name in this context.:) the man is a real legend, did some great work, esp on empire.

Not the only modeller with a rock star name either...
  • StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    This model appears to be leaning heavily on the reconstruction work that was done. Here is one link dealing with the antenna

Nostromo Part 2

The whole underside of the bridge needed to be reconstructed, also, based on the time frames for the filming of the two movies and the merchandising, it is doubtful the original antenna mount was an ATAT head... though the reconstruction did use one.

Nostromo Part 3

The original model did use a lot of "A New Hope" models though...

You can see Tie Fighters all over the refinery for example.

Or here.. Can you spot the R2 legs? Nostromoclamp.jpg

Steve
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
  • MaxxRushMaxxRush180 Posts: 168Member
    Coolhand wrote: »
    AC/DC's second singer anyway - almost sounds like the first time you heard the name in this context.:) the man is a real legend, did some great work, esp on empire.

Not the only modeller with a rock star name either...

No... I knew of him years ago (hence the two smilies). It was just a good opportunity to have a little fun with the name.

And of course, I didn't mean it to sound as if I was ignoring Bon Scott.

Anyway, enough of this threadjacking.
  • mrysmrys172 Posts: 0Member
    hehe, it is funny, how movies canibalise each other :) Anyway I use many screenshoots from blueray copy of Alien as a base, but of course photos of reconstructed model are main source for most work. Screens from movie are in most cases not very readeable - especially in hidden parts of airframe.

But also I decided to improve some details even if it need to loose some accuracy. One of elements you can see on renders are three big pipes. In oryginal model they are leading from nowhere to nowhere. Are just attached. So I have to give their existence more sense and find a way to join them to some mechanism.:)
  • Starship1405Starship1405332 Posts: 22Member
    You did a very nice job with the landing thrusters! That geometry is complex and must've been a mind-bender until you got the basic angles laid in. I can see why the model builders didn't draw it before building...easier to craft it than draw it.