Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DEdge of Tomorrow Exoskeleton suit

japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
edited August 2017 in Work in Progress #1
The other day I started making an exoskeleton suit similar to what's seen in Tom Cruise's upcoming movie, Edge of Tomorrow. THey are pretty bad ass and awesome to see something like that in a movie, especially since much of the suit seems to be real. So far it's looking really good I think! The chest pieces and arm mechanisms were started in Max and then imported to zbrush for detailing...the shoulder guns and leg pieces were all made in zbrush...

eot_suit1.jpg
107143.jpg
Post edited by japetus on

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's really cool so far. I'm going to have to check out a trailer for that film, I haven't heard of it until now.
  • wibblewibble1122 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 493Member
    You are right those are darn cool things and your modelling looks perfect so far (as usual).
    If they just had put another actor in it! Honestly I never know if I have to laugh or scream if I see his face.

http://http://images.askmen.com/1200x600/video/entertainment-and-celebrities/edge-of-tomorrow-official-trailer-hd-1089492-TwoByOne.jpg

http://http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/tom-cruise-all-you-need-is-kill1.jpg
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Yeah, here's the trailer...I hope it's watchable. I didn't see his last movie Oblivion since I felt like the trailer gave everything away. Tom Cruise is hit and miss with me. This movie is apparently based on an anime or something. I'm also not a huge fan of time loop storylines so we'll see. At least it has awesome suits! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw61gCe2oqI
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    You can say what you want about Tom Cruise, but when it comes to the movies, the first thing he cares about is the audience, so when it comes to his projects I'll always give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm glad to see someone doing this armour (and I can't want to see what the rest of the movie looks like), and I wonder what this design could grow into.
  • Knight26Knight26191 Posts: 837Member
    I'm not loving that man amp design. The book straight up calls for power armor. I hate how hollywood keeps turning power armors into man amp, just so that you can see the actors stupid face, ugh.
    japetus wrote: »
    Yeah, here's the trailer...I hope it's watchable. I didn't see his last movie Oblivion since I felt like the trailer gave everything away. Tom Cruise is hit and miss with me. This movie is apparently based on an anime or something. I'm also not a huge fan of time loop storylines so we'll see. At least it has awesome suits! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw61gCe2oqI

Oblivion is awesome. The trailer gave very little away. You may think you know what will happen in the film, but you really won't unless you watch it. I won't say it's all surprises, but there are some interesting plot twists.

I'm not sure on the new one, I'll wait and see. The exosuits are definitely cool, though. Overall, I'd say Tom Cruise movies are good. Like any actor, he has hits and misses. He just needs to develop a brain to mouth filter to stop him from saying dumb things in real life. Though, he's in his 50s, so I doubt he will.
    Worked on the helmet since I last posted. I found the type of helmet this one is based on, the Ops Corp Fast Ballistic helmet..mostly to get the fast-ARC rails more correct...

helmet1.jpg
    That's looking great. :)
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    A larger image would help.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    Movie looks kinda dumb
    colbmista wrote: »
    Movie looks kinda dumb

Yeah, it does. I'll wait and see, though. Sometimes, trailers suck and then the movie winds up being good. Other times, it's the opposite.
  • Knight26Knight26191 Posts: 837Member
    The source material is good, the movie...
    Haha...what a thread I've started...

I completed the modeling of the helmet for now. Was able to find lots of pictures of the real US military helmet that they use. I might be adding more attachments to the ARC rail later to spruce it up a bit more. I plan on doing some cool polypainting like the skull paint or something similarly cool.

helmet2.jpg
    japetus wrote: »
    Haha...what a thread I've started...

Excellent modeling always makes for a great thread. :D

The thing center front above the visor reminds me of the mounts we used for our NVGs when I was in the Army. It wouldn't surprise me if that's what they are.
    I forgot to post...this is an up close view of the overhead guns...

overheadguns1.jpg
    Neato!
    I split the model out to different assets and have been working on them seperately...here's the latest on the arm and sort of an overall view of the suit itself. I haven't done much on the clothes, just gave it some very rough folds to get a sense of clothes...

arm1.jpg

suit2.jpg
    An updated arm, I think it's pretty much done. When I attach it to the rest of the body I"ll have to modify the shoulder joint area a bit. I noticed in the trailer that it seems they digitally removed the pistons in the arm. When you look at photography of the suits they are present...so I might end up removing mine, but I think it looks better with there so we'll see.

arm2.jpg
    That's really awesome. You're doing some great work on this. :)
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    looking great!!

Are you going for a "real" suit or a "Movie suit"?? as in, like you said, some parts are missing here and there from the cgi..

either way, I'm loving this! Detail is excellent!

For the Tom Cruise rant.. I like his movies, most are hits, and as said, he puts more effort in to it than most, but he does have a habit of stepping on his tounge!.. If I boycotted every actor/actress that I didn't like in there personal life.. there wouldn't be much for me to watch!!

as for the power armour/amp suit.. for the power armour.. they do a good job showing RDJ's face while in the Iron man suit?? why can't they do that??? :)

So, looking excellent, keep up the good work!
    Big update! I've pretty much finished the arm, just some straps that i'll be adding at a later date after i worked on the cloth. Also have done a lot of work on the leg and the chest piece...I'll be retopologizing the body of the chest piece since after all my slicing and dicing left me with a lot of nasty geo, but I'm not too worried...it's coming along and it's only been a month!

suit3.jpg
    suit4.jpg
    suit5.jpg
    Decided to try my hand at doing more material and polypaint work in zbrush. It's rather nerve wracking because i feel like I'm gonna destroy my model... so here is my try at banging up the helmet for this guy...will be posting more the next few days as I progress.

helmet3.jpg
    Dang, dude. That looks pretty friggin' realistic. If you're worried about messing up your mesh, can't you save the newer work as a second file so that you have something to gall back on if things go wrong?
    Darn! Great work (as usual, BTW).
  • MaxxRushMaxxRush180 Posts: 168Member
    Looks great... except for one thing. The scratches on the visor are too deep and not sharp enough. Not to mention, I can't see any soldier having lenses that scratched up to begin with. It would make things difficult to see clearly, even with a VR HUD.

I understand that you're trying to make it look used, but in the case of the lenses, I would think that those might be easily replaceable in the field, just for situations when they might get overly scratched or damaged.

Other than that, I love the corrosion bubbling under the paint, as well as the weathering and damages/scratches elsewhere.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    great work on the metal, looks just like the sort of armour used on 1940s american tanks. good scuff marks on the white painted parts and nice scratch effects on the corners. must say the visor in general looks a bit wrong, seems to be the same material as the armoured parts.
    Thanks guys! I agree about the visor..I might have over done it. I'm still trying to figure out how to render transparency and reflection well in zbrush, they make it a real hassle and the material settings are really confusing, lol.
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    I agree about the visor, but HOLY CRAP!! The helmet is absolutely superb! The weathering and textures are outstanding.
    Been doing more wear and tear, this time on the chest piece...now that I have more of a work flow in place, may go back and do the helmet. I'll have to see how they look together...

chest.jpg
    Great work on the wear and tear. :)