Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DNew Star Trek project: U.S.S. Eldridge

vnm51vnm512 Posts: 0Member
edited October 2014 in Work in Progress #1
Hey all,

Here is my new project, the U.S.S. Eldridge.
I started this ship some time ago, but didn't have great progress to post.
But since I broke both of my elbows I've got a great amount of freetime for modeling hahaha.

It's not a big secret I'm a fan of Adam's Odyssey, but since I saw Andrew's Ambassador class I started thinking of mixing both. So here's the result, she bears signs of both ship, but the engine, which is a new one.
This time I don't go into texturing a lot, mainly the panel lines will gone due to bad and blury results in rendering. Rather modeling the panels one by one, and put more work into greebling as well.
I started adding the basic colors to the model and finished the aztec patterns for the saucer, but I wouldn't add them unless i finish the modeling part - which will be interesting, since I reached 1.1 mil in polys, and just started the secondary hull...

Well, this monolog is dragging on too long, so here are the pics of the current progress:
107165.jpg
Post edited by vnm51 on
Tagged:

• vnm51vnm512 Posts: 0Member
    And more pics:
    And a bit engine work:
  • MartocticvsMartocticvs444 Posts: 524Member
    The nacelles look really interesting. All looks well modelled - I'm not that keen on this method of joining the saucer and engineering hull, always looks awkward for the turbo shafts. Otherwise looks good to me!
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    I agree with Martocticvs, that's a rather awkward and unnecessary way of joining the two section together. It's my biggest beef with the Odyssey.

That said, I really like your saucer section and the nacelles in particular.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I actually like it. It's kind of weird and I'm really weird, so it's a good fit for me. It reminds me not only of the Ambassador and Odyssey classes, but also of the Springfield class, which has a similar primary hull/secondary hull join. (kitbash from The Best of Both Worlds, pt. 2) Detail wise, I'm really digging those nacelles. The saucer details are great too.
  • bosunbosun62 Posts: 0Member
    I love the warp nacelles. Reminds me of TNG era updates of the starship Metaluna.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    I like this a lot! Both the nacelles and the impulse engines look very cool and original.
    As for the shape itself, in my opinion the round saucer makes it more similar to the Ulysses-Class from the old Trek PC games rather than the Odyssey, and that makes it even cooler in my mind. :D
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    I also tend to agree with Martocticvs about the joining... But it's neat, reminds me a bit to the Oberth. ;)
    The nacelles look epic.
    @Martocticvs, Vortex5972:
    I know, this joining method between the saucer and the hull isn't popular, but I like it somehow, so I try to make the best of it.

Btw Martocticvs, the Constellation Class of yours is epic. Really well detailed and good looking one.

@evil_genius_180:
    Thanks bro, good to see you here!

@bosun:
    This is not just a coincidence:). I like that warp engine setup, tried to make something similar which close to Osy's WE.

@Rekkert:
    Thanks a lot, I'm glad you like it!
    Indeed, in this case I prefer the rounded saucer too. You know, where oldschool meets newschool:).

@Aresius:
    Yes, thats Oberth's got an interesting shaping, funny I've never seen this and Springfield before, would have made my life easier...
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Very nice! I like this design because it's so unique... yeah, the pylons that join the saucer to the rest of the ship are odd, but they can work.
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    I think it's the execution of it more than the idea that isn't very popular. The twin neck on the ST:O Avenger looks good. I love that ship. Looking forward to seeing where you go with your mesh.
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    If I give an opinion on this the design it must be a frank opinion.
    Like Adam's Odyssey the double neck has to be one of the more dubious structural creations.

I've always said that in order for the Galaxy to be structurallay sound the majority of the neck would have be be composed of rigourous structural latices and saddle to prevent torsional stresses from shearing off the Stardrive (that connection being the weakest) from the neck. With Odyssey both connections are solid but I must say it's a rather over-complicated design just to have a gap between the the center Stardrive and Saucer. In my opinion it doesn't look particularly good and serves no purpose.

(While the original Constitution class and it's refit ultimately had no purpose for the spindly necks, Galaxy gave it a purpose of elevating the saucer past the Warp nacelles for integration after separation. With the engines well clear, the Stardrive could abort reintegration at the last second without fear of the engines colliding with the saucer-section.)

Perhaps the double neck was give for thought to saving mass. Yet one would likely accomplish the same with a single neck.
    While I look at Odyssey and it doesn't strike me as design but more like art, I have to say vnm51, your double neck on this design is actually a structural failure waiting to happen. Adam's necks are very elaborate and misleadingly thin. They are actually quite thick and they undulate back into the body as one solid trunk of the Stardrive. Your necks ARE thin and even worse...they are attached to the outside cage of the stardrive. There is no mount or saddle to transfer the loads of movement into the larger structures. In other words if part of ship's cage experiences a rupture in it's rib-cage the entire loads of both the saucer and stardrive will give at that weakness point first. Not even the Oberth attaches it's pylons to the outside of the lower section, rather joining them at a mount pod.

Further Martocticvs is most correct, the turbo shafts will never work through this design.
    Remember that you're designing a Starship not a sculpture.
    -You impulse engines seem close to or on the axis of thrust
    -The warp nacelles seem properly supported

----
    The model work is very good
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Love the nacelles.
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    uau! Your take on the Odissey is the best that I ever seen!
    Dammed fine work. :thumb:
    BolianAdmiral, Vortex5972, publiusr, Starship:
    Thank you guys a lot!

Saquist:
    Each design has it advantages and disadvantages, and I have to disagree with you on issues you mentioned above, mainly about transfer loads and structural strenght.
    But I suggest to get back to this conversation right after someone just develop and build a real trekkie starship in the real life.
    In regards to elevators, you're right. (Actually it can be fixed in a very complicated way).
    However, I woulnd't like having fatty and lazy officers on my board :).

Been a long time since I have posted anything here. (Doubt that anyone has even noticed HAHAHA).
    Actually I lost interest in renderings because I couldn't get rid of this shi&@#y plastic-like appearance. Bah..
    Thanks to MadKoiFish's mental ray tutorial however, these new renders are slightly better but still aren't that I would like to see.
    Okay, no more crying, let's see what we have here:
    I added new details, greebles to necks and hull including deflector, torpedo bay, panels and windows. Next mission is the hull's aft and the "wings".
    Meanwhile I played with Ps in this morning to make a new background, and thanks to Greg Martin's starfield tutorial I managed to make mine.

Hope you'll enjoy them both model and background:
    107165.jpg107166.jpg107167.jpg107168.jpg107169.jpg
    Wait, who are you again? :lol: (kidding, of course)

The background is really nice. This is one of the few times I actually wish I had Photoshop. (fortunately, my utter loathing of all things Adobe overrides that wish ;))

The model is looking really sweet. I like the nacelles and secondary hull a lot.
    evil_genius_180:
    Thanks a lot Chris! Also, I'm glad you remember me hahaha.

Here are a couple of new renders. I know 1 or 2 of them were posted when I started this thread, but since I've been learning MKF mr render settings I redoed the old ones.
    The perspective rear view was a real pain to make. Sadly, still plastic-like...
    107170.jpg107171.jpg107172.jpg107173.jpg
    srspicer
    vnm51 wrote: »
    The perspective rear view was a real pain to make. Sadly, still plastic-like...

It's nice looking plastic. (it could be your materials) It almost looks like a physical model. Plus, the ship looks really cool from that angle. I really like the details on the bridge area.
    srspicer
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    I'm not sold on the two neck thing, but could be persuaded at some point methinks. Overall nice progress and I really like the secondary hull, especially the shuttlebay area. :)
  • komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
    I like it a lot. The neck style reminds me of the Odyssey Enterprise F in STO. I would personally lower the saucer a bit, I think it looks odd because the saucer is so high and make a too big hole. Also it would look nice to try to extrude the neck into the upper saucer and make it look like it's a part of it...not sure how it would fit but I would try it. Still nice design so far.
    evil_genius_180:
    It's nice looking plastic. (it could be your materials)
    Yes, something wasn't good with that, I modified the inputs, it seems better now.

Schimpfy:
    Thanks a lot! That shuttlebay was my fav as well.

komaro:
    Thanks komaro, actually the saucer will have the same style as Odyssey has (Chevron separation, if I remember right).

I couldn't resist adding new lights to deflector and playing a bit with scene setups. Actually what I've been doing for 3 days is rendering....(thanks to the weather...)
    I figured out that I have to get rid of omni lights and use target omnis instead, plus set much softer shadows.
    I think these renders a bit better than the prev ones.
    Here they go:
    107175.jpg107176.jpg107177.jpg107178.jpg
    majorchaos
    The nacelles and deflector look really cool.
  • PsychyoPsychyo0 Posts: 0Member
    Seconded! Especially that deflector, it's looking mean. Keep up the good work!
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Very nice design, I like very much. :)
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    Loving the deflector! and the naccelles!
  • rogue21rogue210 Posts: 3Member
    Wow! How does one get hold of this model when finished I would love to use in my work
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
    @rogue21 This thread hasn't seen any action in over 5 years, and looks like the author hasn't been around for a few years either, so it's unlikely you'll get a response. Also, asking for meshes in people's project threads is kind of rude, generally frowned upon and against the rules. Releasing models is up to the artist and we do our best to let them work in peace, so that we can continue enjoying their work on the site.

Please check out the The Community Guidelines when you get a chance.
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • majorchaosmajorchaos171 Posts: 1Member
    Was not sure I liked this cause I'm not fond of the Odyssey class , But this grew on me fast .
    Keep it up . Would love to see a side view . :)
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    I'm liking this a lot! The rear-quarter view is my fav as well.
    Maybe the connection points for the saucer could be radiuses all around. Where the radius ends on the 'necks' is where the separation joint would be? Just a thought.
    Yes, a side view pls.
    Love the Bussard collector details. Like red Bussards, not the amber.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    Have not any of you read the mods post? Why request stuff from a member that has not been active for over 5 years?
    This sort of thing is what PM is for. I keep seeing this pop up thinking oh maybe the OP has posted new content to just see begging.

GRRRRRRRR.
    Rekkertevil_genius_180Freak
    Each day we draw closer to the end.