Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DJohn Eaves concept for the NX-01 with a twist

pigpenpigpen1 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2014 in Work in Progress #1
I found the picture of this ship years ago. Just getting around to giving it a go. I have several nacelles for this model. Right now doing the TNG style.
105487.jpg
105488.jpg
105489.jpg
Post edited by pigpen on
Tagged:

• AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    It does show a certain Ent-similarity. The nacelles don't match at any rate, but nice work, makes it look like some Dawnstar-offshoot.
  • japmejapme12 Posts: 0Member
    I made one of this, back in the spring of '12. Look forward to seeing how your's turns out.
    49.jpg
    105490.jpg
    49.jpg 196.6K
    publiusr
  • StormcloudStormcloud2 Posts: 0Member
    yeah those nacelles really not got eh nx-01 feeling - try some classic tos nacelles or refit nacelles
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Nice start. If you're doing alternate nacelles, you may want to do alternate body parts to go with them.

@Japme, yours looks great. Seems to tie into the JJ Verse well as well.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    I always liked this concept, and your model looks very nice. I'm not too sure about the TNG nacelles just pasted there though.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nice. I've always been a fan of that sketch and I do like what you're doing. The only thing I'd suggest is making the nacelles a bit less "1701-D." You could always do an alternate design that's more like the ships from the later TNG era or maybe even something from a bit earlier.

Having said that, this really brings a smile to my face because I've thought of doing something similar with the design more than once. :D
  • StormcloudStormcloud2 Posts: 0Member
    anyone got a link to this john eaves sketch?
    Got a PM from gerb200 asking for more views of my build of this, so hopefully these will be helpful to you.
    35.jpg25.jpg 22.jpg 32.jpg

Let me know if there are particular areas you want to see, and I'll see what I can do.

Also here is a cleaned up version of the original EAVES image (by JohnyMuffinTop, over at DA). It's also much higher res than the original.
    NX_Class_Preposed_Refit_by_JohnnyMuffintop.jpg
    105496.jpg105497.jpg105498.jpg105499.jpg105500.jpg
    eagledocf15
    wow! Now that's how it should've looked!

I like your version of it. The phaser-cannons are aso looking pretty good, but I wonder if they should remain all-time visible like that... I mean, if they could be retrachted into the hull, it would be better for first-contact missions, and I suppose also during warp (subspace behaving like a liquid and stuff....). Also, I think the sacuers RCS-thrusters are a bit big...
    Nice work, and also a nice touch of nostalgia in the second image..
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Very cool. I can see why they didn't go with it. To me, this seems like a Constitution Class in an Enterprise timeline.
    Also, they were pretty much just getting ideas while they were waiting for Doug Drexler to be done on another project. So, they had everybody in the art department come up with concepts, I'm assuming in case anybody came up with anything cool. Once Doug was available, he took over development of the hero ship. (this information came from John Eaves' blog)

So, it's probably safe to say this was never even a contender. ;) However, I've always liked the design, but it definitely lends itself better to the later time period, in my opinion.
    It's a solid gap-closer between Ent and TOS.
    Aresius wrote: »
    It's a solid gap-closer between Ent and TOS.

Yeah, it really is. You can see elements of both and the basic configuration of the TOS E coming together.
  • pigpenpigpen1 Posts: 0Member
    I appreciate all of the comments. The other model is great. I may have some questions as I move forward. I put the other nacelles on the ship now. They are modeled after the Perception Class designs that are on the net. I like them better.
    105525.jpg105526.jpg
    Rekkert
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    I think those nacelles fit the design much better. :thumb:
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Yeah, those nacelles fit the ship better. :)
    Aye...
  • pigpenpigpen1 Posts: 0Member
    After seeing Japme's model I see a few things that I need to change. That is a very good model. Japme do u have the model for download any where. I am thinking of changing the impulse engines they seem too blocky to me
    Like your nacelles, pigpen.

Incidentally, I built the Perception as well... it was in the download section, back before they got rid of it. It was even older than my "NX" build, 2008 or so... Unfortunately, I can't find it on my hard drive.

Sorry, the "NX" isn't up anywhere. The 3D (.car) files got corrupted, when my old desktop destroyed its motherboard (the control circuit fried itself).
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    japme wrote: »
    Like your nacelles, pigpen.

Incidentally, I built the Perception as well... it was in the download section, back before they got rid of it. It was even older than my "NX" build, 2008 or so... Unfortunately, I can't find it on my hard drive.

Sorry, the "NX" isn't up anywhere. The 3D (.car) files got corrupted, when my old desktop destroyed its motherboard (the control circuit fried itself).
    :runs:

That's rough. I've had similar things happen. That's why it's best to back up your stuff to something separate, either a plug in drive like a flash drive or a site like Dropbox. (for free, you get something like 15GB of storage on Dropbox) Unfortunately, when motherboards die, they can take other things with them. The same with PSUs.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Got a PM from gerb200 asking for more views of my build of this, so hopefully these will be helpful to you.
    35.jpg25.jpg 22.jpg 32.jpg

Let me know if there are particular areas you want to see, and I'll see what I can do.

Also here is a cleaned up version of the original EAVES image (by JohnyMuffinTop, over at DA). It's also much higher res than the original.
    NX_Class_Preposed_Refit_by_JohnnyMuffintop.jpg

You called your version a Declaration class IIRC (not the ringship of course)

Intended for Archer's ride yes, but JJ should have used this for his movie--not that I dislike Ryan's design.
  • eagledocf15eagledocf15357 Houston Texas Posts: 46Member
    I made one of this, back in the spring of '12. Look forward to seeing how your's turns out.
    49.jpg
    105490.jpg

Very Nice
    publiusr
  • vasyearvasyear3 Posts: 9Member
    that could be easily a 23rd century refit
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Has anyone done a physical model of that? I love it.
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
    Would you please stop bumping 5+ year old threads. Are the post dates really that difficult to read? Is the big Necropost tag particularly easy to miss?
    Rekkert
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    I actually think the TNG nacelles work best on it. Just me two cents.
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
    Was I unclear somehow? STOP. BUMPING. OLD. THREADS.

Thread closed. :eyeroll:
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
This discussion has been closed.