Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Animation Question

BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,565Member
edited April 2014 in General Discussion #1
Hey, all...

I have a question about the kind of CGI VFX seen/used in the intros to cable news program-type shows, like CNN, BBC or FOX program intros, similar to the example below:

image.jpg

What kind of graphics applications are used to create them, both 2D and 3D? What applications are used to animate and create the final product we see on-screen? I'm curious what the process is.

If I wanted to take a class to learn how to do this kind of thing, would it be something that someone like me could learn, or does such work take many years of experience? What kind of classes would I take to learn it?

Anyway, just curious about this niche of VFX... thanks for any and all answers!
Post edited by BolianAdmiral on

• IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    known as broadcast graphics

you'd be surprised how much of that can be done inside of a decent post app, but generally they're done with the same software that any other vfx is
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    you would be able to do all of it in a 3d program like blender, max, c4d, lightwave, etc. but there might be easier ways with built in text animation features on some video editing programs. in some ways this stuff should be a little easier that animating 3d models to photorealistic quality. if you've ever animated a model you should be able to attempt this a do a fairly adequate title type sequence for a first attempt, although as i say there are probably quicker ways.
  • rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
    I'd suggest emailing your local television or internet news companies. They might have some unpaid/lowpaid internships available.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Actually, there are some artists who get paid decent money to do nothing but this kind of stuff for websites, news broadcasts, TV shows, etc. It can be done on either a commission basis or as a paid position, but you can make a decent living doing nothing else.

Yeah, you can do this type of stuff in pretty much any 3D art program. It's basically Modeling and Animation 101.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,565Member
    Thanks for the answers, folks. For some reason, I always thought these kind of animations were far more complex, probably because of all the individual elements which are also animated that are contained within them, such as small lines, numbers, various inset pitcures, colord glass/metal textures, wireframe-to-solid morphs, etc. It all looks so visually complex, yet slick in the final product. I would imagine it takes a while to render such animations? Seeing as how I already own Blender (since it's free), I may as well look into learning how to do this with it.

EDIT: I found a couple tutorials on YouTube... gonna check 'em out.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    I would imagine it takes a while to render such animations?
    quite the opposite, it doesn't have to look photoreal so you can get away with a lot
  • rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
    Hmmn. I never knew the Video Toaster was a NewTek product. (Lightwave)