Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DFarscape - Peacekeeper Command Carrier

todaytoday0 Posts: 37Member
edited April 2014 in Work in Progress #1
PK command carrier - Work in Progress / Modeled in LightWave 11.6

Thumbnail for thread preview:

attachment.php?attachmentid=107845&d=1396187070

attachment.php?attachmentid=107652&d=1394918688

attachment.php?attachmentid=107857&d=1396234253

attachment.php?attachmentid=108035&d=1397476102
105583.jpg
Post edited by today on
Tagged:

• wibblewibble1122 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 493Member
    Great! It's wonderfull to see some Farscape work done. It's a far too underrepresented show here. Actually I thought this is a ridiculous and odd designe when I first saw it. But I watched Farscape lately againe and it really grew on me. Don't know if this was intentional, but the material and the black color together with the shape at the belly makes it look a bit like a designe from H.R. Giger, what is a cool thing.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    nice work, i'm not very familiar with farscape, i only saw the first few eps on dvd, but is the ship THAT shiny? i do quite like what you did on the underhull.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    Awesome! Unbelievable! Well done.

Yeah, the ship designs in Farscape aren't that widely talked about... I think they were overshined by the fantastic puppet work.
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    LOVED the Peacekeeper Command Carrier. I think part of the reason Farscape is under-represented here is that so few episodes actually featured warships or, even, starships of any kind besides Moya herself.

On an odd note, it always startled me that Pilot was voiced by the same actor who played Crais. :)

Excellent work on the PCC so far. You're a brave person to take on something with so many irregular shapes!
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Nice work. Rare to see something like that. :)
  • komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
    Nice work. I was wondering tho, is it that model that has windows on the side, or was it the Scorpius carrier ? (The one Talin destroyed)
  • todaytoday0 Posts: 37Member
    Thanks everyone!

The appearance of the command carrier changed quite a bit over the course of the series. It probably didn't help that they'd randomly cut in stock footage from earlier seasons all the time, makes it a bit hard to find consistent reference material. :lol:

@wibble - I hadn't actually thought about the HR Giger connection before, but now that you mention it. Fits pretty well in a universe with living ships and whatnot:D

@spacefighter - The VFX were somewhat inconsistent from season to season. I doubt it was ever quite that uniformly glossy, but it was always dark black against a black background. For a WIP the shininess does help to actually see the ship. Textures are still temporary. Need to break it up with paneling, armor, etc..

@BlueNeumann - Yes, the puppets/muppets were very well done. I've tried a few times to recreate some of the more interesting character designs in 3d and it just doesn't come out looking as lifelike as the original puppet work.

@Sanderlee & Aresius - Very rare to see anyone doing farscape stuff these days. I think the last time I saw an abundance of 'scape stuff was back when it was still on the air.:thumb:

@komaro - I don't know that scorpious's carrier was ever intended to look different that an ordinary PK command ship. If you think about it, it's supposed to by physically the same ship all the way from Season 1, up until the end of Season 3.. and yet the models are clearly very different. Pretty much have to look at it as a retcon. But, I'm pretty sure the giant office building style windows originated with a fan design, and were never present on any production version of the carrier.

And here's a quick animation, wanted to see how it looks in motion. Not done modeling yet.:)

[video=youtube_share;fI0aXsXpje0]
    Looks like I was wrong about the wall of windows. The pilot episode version did have what look like windows inside the bottom ribs. I'm going to stick with the season 2-4 version for mine, the ribs on mine are filled with hangars and trench guns. Mostly via instancing.
    nice images, well chosen contrast of background against ship.
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    Nice thread..... And i second spacefighters comments nice choice of colour and contrast on your images..

hard to get a sence of how big the command carrier is... they are huge ships... Nice to see another farscape thread... you've made me dive back into my Leviathans so thanks for that.. :)
  • McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    Those new renders are very pretty! Nice job!
    Pretty please, with a cherry on top:o

attachment.php?attachmentid=107844&d=1396186623

attachment.php?attachmentid=107843&d=1396186548
    105415.jpg105416.jpg
    Nifty...

"Fate keeps blocking all the exits. And no matter what I do I just keep circling closer to the flame."

All ships, planets, and wormhole weapons:lol: modeled in LightWave11.6. Most of the "look" is achieved using DP nodes.:cool:

And yes, the scarran dreadnaughts are pretty low poly, but IMO they work ok for background elements.
    A closer look at some of the background ships:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=107852&d=1396232653
    Scarran Dreadnaught

attachment.php?attachmentid=107853&d=1396232728
    Battle-damaged PK carrier

attachment.php?attachmentid=107854&d=1396232794
    Grand Chancellor's PK flagship

attachment.php?attachmentid=107855&d=1396232903
    Generic background PK support ships (Prowler / Marauder)

attachment.php?attachmentid=107856&d=1396232963
    Standard PK Command Carrier

Keep in mind that the level of detail corresponds to how close to the camera I was planning on letting each of these get. :lol:
    105424.jpg105425.jpg105426.jpg105427.jpg105428.jpg
    Nice work. But the wormhole is rather static... I hope yu'll change it over time...
    the wormhole does look like it has just been painted, it fits the scene light and colour wise but it seems too low res and looks to be made from wide brush strokes. try looking on google images for "black hole accretion disc" . nicw work on the ships in those pics you posted after the video.
    More work on the dreadnought (Please watch in HD):
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbcO2GcnoTs

And yes, shouldn't really be using continuous beam weapons. Still working on that:lol:
  • komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
    Fantastic work. Keep it up.
    good work, as a note there SHOULD be continuous beams. in the very unlikely event of a laser beam showing up in space it would certainly appear as a line between the gun and target not as a travelling object. the stills are cool but i couldn't really tell what was going on in the video, seemed as if the camera was never in position to get a whole ship within shot. the beam effect as it is is cool and only needs a little more brightening and lens flare to be ideal.
    Well, the main issue is that they're not lasers.

Here's an update to the animation, as before, please view in HD:
    [video=youtube_share;n6x4IaV4E68]
    the video looked a bit juddery, the weapon shots didn't look as good as last time.